Tight gearbox

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Tight gearbox

Post by RUM4MO »

Could be trouble with the clutch hydraulics, though I don't think that is something that happens much - but there can always be one!
Casbantam
Getting There!
Drives: 1.2 TSI Match

Post by Casbantam »

Booked in 7th May. Thanks for replies will report back.
Casbantam
Getting There!

Post by Casbantam »

Just to update.
For the last few weeks whilst waiting for my booking I could not engage reverse gear from startup every single morning. It just would not go in. I have tried shifting through other gears and driving forward slightly but only sometimes will that work. I basically had to push as far as it would go and start lifting the clutch till it dropped in.
So confident was I that the garage would find fault but after 2 days no fault found. I told them that it's from cold start when it's worst but I also have issues with reverse and 1st at other times. I travel 28 miles round trip each day and it happens multiple times. They said they would give it a good drive and try replicate the fault. Unfortunately they called to say they couldn't find fault so that was that.
At the garage I told them I couldn't believe that they couldn't find fault and what should I do as I knew it would happen again!!! Anyway I was in a rush so left disappointed. However when I got in my vehicle I noticed that the mileage had not changed at all. Back in I went and kicked off.
It turns out that apparently this is a known fault and VW have a test that they have to carry out that doesn't involve driving the car at all. Now I can't remember the name of the test but he showed me the paperwork and it involved pressing the clutch pedal down half way 50 times then fully 50 times then lots of other similar tests. Typically my car passed the test. I waited 10 min for a technician to come and explain more but couldn't wait any longer and had to leave.
I was told that if the fault persisted (it will) to bring it back in and they would keep for upto 2 weeks to check it each day????
Not sure what the fix would be but if not that expensive would it not be better off just doing it. This is the third time it's been in now and it must be costing VW.
Anyone heard of this test or know what the fix is? Roll on tomorrow to see what happens.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I've never had this sort of a problem, but I have read on a Skoda forum that VW Group do accept that there is a problem with some of these 5 speed gear boxes and have a kit of parts, maybe shims plus something else that they are directed to fit/change when a gear box problem is reported. The only barrier facing you is that step one of this warranty job is to confirm that there is a problem, ask your dealer if they have handled any of the gear boxes with the known problems and successfully sorted them out using the procedures as directed by VW AG, it could be that your dealer is not very big and does not have any techs fully tried and tested on gear box rebuilds?
Casbantam
Getting There!

Post by Casbantam »

Thanks for the reply and advice RUM4MO.
I will see how it persists over the weekend and call them on Monday. Just left work now and couldn't get in reverse until 4th attempt.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Actually it has been said that both 5 and 6 speed gearboxes over a period during 2016>2017 that block/baulk when trying to get into 1st and/or reverse might need stripping down and fitting a new version of idler gear and associated shimming, there is definitely a TPI open on that subject - that is if that accurately defines what you are experiencing, I have just spotted that in a Skoda Fabia forum.
Casbantam
Getting There!

Post by Casbantam »

Thanks for the info RUM4MO need to get sorted before warranty expires cheers.
Casbantam
Getting There!

Post by Casbantam »

To update. Car was back in today and at last they experienced the fault.
As the technician was trying to reverse it wouldn't engage easily. So they have taken the gearbox out and noticed that the clutch springs are faulty and not level. They are fitting a new clutch under warranty which will hopefully fix the issue. They said the symptoms sound like a clutch not disengaging properly which will hopefully be resolved now??
It was the last day of the manufacturers warranty today so fingers crossed my problem will be fixed.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Good, sounds promising!
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

Casbantam,

I too have a TSI Match 1.2 (2017) and although I've had no problems in changing gear, particularly of first and reverse, I have of late been pursuing a momentary 'clank' noise that emanates from the clutch whenever the clutch pedal is released. The noise, which incidentally is only ever present while the engine is running, seems to correspond to an observed flexing of the hydraulic pipework leading up to the clutch slave cylinder when that pedal is released. The slave cylinder is BTW visible on the top of the bell housing. I'll therefore be very interested in hearing from you in this forum the outcome of your VW technicians' replacement of the clutch in your Match 1.2. Try to get as much detail from them as to what precisely was the cause of your problem (assuming they were able to cure it), as it might have a bearing on how my own clutch is currently malfunctioning. Perhaps there's been a spate of faulty clutch-plates fitted to 2016/2017 Polo 1.2s?

I assume that "clutch springs" means "the springs that are incorporated into the clutch friction plate", and are nothing to do with the sprung fingers of the clutch coverplate or the two types of spring-clips associated with the clutch release bearing and arm?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I was thinking more of the diaphragm fingers - as if they end up being uneven or not all at the same level when the release bearing is not pressing down on them, the pressure plate force on the clutch plate>flywheel when the clutch pedal is pressed down will also be uneven as it will be slightly tilted and so will not be clearing the bite/grip from engine to transmission.
veteran
Silver Member

Post by veteran »

Yes, but you'd think surely that if that was the case I'd be experiencing constant drag and/or getting-into-a-different-gear problems, as per Casbantam. But I don't get any of that. And further, there's no clank heard whenever the engine isn't turning, ie. when the ignition's turned completely off. You'd have thought that the clank - which is heard specifically on the releasing of the clutch, ie. whenever you let the clutch pedal come up again, as you change from one gear to another, and which suggests either direct metal-to-metal contact of some sort or perhaps a ringing effect of an unintended mechanical movement - would be there in the static state as well as in the turning state, if the fingers of the driveplate/cover were bent or otherwise damaged. Wouldn't you?
Casbantam
Getting There!

Post by Casbantam »

Thanks for replies all.
Yes. Must admit to not being very mechanically savvy but will try to find out exactly what has been done. VW sent me a video of the car with the gearbox out and what RUM4MO said seems to be correct. You can clearly see the springs are not level and at an angle. The technician just says clutch springs but they look more like fingers to me Haha.
Hopefully get car back tonight so will try post later and let you know.
veteran
Silver Member

Post by veteran »

If, from the video, your interpretation of "the springs" is that they look more like a "roundel of flat fingers", then what the technicians are referring to is the central area of the clutch's driven coverplate, sometimes simply called the clutch cover. The disc-like friction plate, on the other hand, sits between the cover and the engine flywheel. When you push down on the clutch pedal, you cause a bearing to press against the central zone of those fingers, and this, by interaction with the friction plate on the other side of the fingers, lifts the friction drive off the flywheel and so disengages the engine from the transmission. So, in your case the trouble's been nothing to do with the friction plate, which I thought might be what they meant by "springs" (the friction plate happens to have about four really beefy steadying springs set, flat-wise, into it), instead it's been the cover that's been giving you aggravation.

It's a pity you can't post the video here, or at least a couple of pertinent snapshots from it. But yes, with clutches generally, if any of those fingers get damaged or misaligned, insufficient or lopsided pressure by the release bearing can result, causing in some cases the friction plate to not disengage fully. The gearchanging, as a consequence, becomes either hit-and-miss or permanently impossible.

Anyway, let's hope the new cover they'll have put in will now have fixed the problem. They may have also, for good measure, also fitted a new friction plate and a new bearing.
Casbantam
Getting There!

Post by Casbantam »

They replaced the clutch that is all I could get out of them. They said they haven't changed the flywheel though.
They seemed really fed up with me and seemed short with me. Maybe this was because I complained to VW and they have spoken to them???
Anyway they said that hopefully it would fix the problem but couldn't guarantee it. They said that as the car is now out of warranty if I take it back there will be a charge for looking at it!!!
Guess what. Still having the same problem!!
The technician said that these gearboxes have a dual shaft and from time to time you have issues getting into gear it's just how they are. If you cant get into reverse you should try 1st or 2nd and then into reverse and vice versa. I said this cannot be right and it doesn't say this in the owners book.
I understand that in some cars you have the odd time when reverse cannot be found 1st time and a slight movement or shifting of gears sorts it out but this takes the biscuit. I tried to reverse into a space yesterday and it wouldn't go in reverse. It went halfway and stopped so handbrake on into 1st then reverse same again. So put into 2nd then reverse but wouldn't go even halfway now just felt blocked. Into 4th then into reverse no problem. This took a out 30 seconds whilst blocking a car from passing not ideal. 3 times I've had that issue in 2 days whilst also having it feel really tight going into 1st gear sometimes.
VW are supposed to call me on Tuesday to see if they can close the complaint. Any advice on what to say to them? Manufacturer warranty now expired but VW dealership warranty until November.
Cheers.