Power steering problems

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Dubtom
New
Drives: 2012 1.2 tdi manual T25 1.9 ,mk7 GTD

Power steering problems

Post by Dubtom »

Hi new to the form, but not VW’s
I have a 1.2tdi that keeps having intermittent warning lights. We had exhaust temp sensors, a crankshaft position sensor (that just went away) and now the power steering light comes on and we lose the power steering. If it turn the car off it can reset with in a minute or two other times it takes a few hours, but it seems really intermittent. The power steering stops, then comes back on? I have real concerns about a garage fleecing me, by just replacing everything, is there anything I can try? Thanks in advance. (If anyone can recommend which eBay vcds or vagcom to buy that’s a help too)
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Power steering problems

Post by RUM4MO »

Okay, your 6R Polo will have electro hydraulic power steering system, that system makes big demands of the battery, so if you start demanding a lot of effort from it just after a cold engine start, especially in winter time, when a cold and old battery has just taken some punishment from starting a TDI engine, there is a good chance that the battery voltage is getting quite low and the car’s power monitoring system will shut down any big power users that will not cause you great inconvenience - first big user to get binned will be the power steering’s hydraulic pump motor.

Easy way to see if this is the problem is to get your battery and charging system checked out, maybe Halfords offer that service without making an appointment.

Then get back and tell us what the outcome was, only two possibilities - it’s passes or it fails and what is failing.

Edit:- I would only advice you to buy legal versions of VCDS as should everyone else on these forums!
Alternatives are out there including Carista if you use a mobile phone.

Another Edit:- as you own a few VW Group products, it might make sense to buy legal VCDS from a Uk based reseller, they will be listed on the VCDS website. Carista was only launched maybe 3 or 4 years ago and so only covers models new at that point in time, whereas VCDS tends to cover any/all VW Group products that have smart controllers, so the newer the car the more smart modules will be built into them, at a guess any new models introduced after 2001 will have full coverage from VCDS.
Dubtom
New

Post by Dubtom »

Thanks for that!
I am siting the car right now checking things, checked the fuse, the battery has 14.8v over it with engine running, even when switching on a/c lights wipers and heated rear window so the voltage seems to be regulated well. I am sure it had a new battery when I bought it just over a year ago. There is only one cable coming from the negative terminal though and that goes to a ground point on the body, is that right? Just one?
There is a fluid reservoir just below the battery box, does anyone know what that is? The battery needs to be removed to access it
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

That is the power steering fluid reservoir cap, it is green in colour. The level should never ever change unless there is a system leak, hopefully via a rusted steel pipe section. There is a dipstick built into the cap, the level should be high enough to wet the bottom of the button end of the dipstick.
The charging seems okay, do you run this car mainly on short journeys as that might be causing the battery to always be less than 100% charged?
If you can, measure the voltage after the car has been stopped for a few hours, if it is below 12.65V consider charging that battery - or just get Halfords to check it FOC as they will be checking it’s rated capacity and it’s ability to produce its rated cold start current.
There is only one main earth lead in the engine/battery location.

Edit:- you mentioned checking the large bolt on fuses, that reminds me that any of these fuses are prone to crack with stress and that is not easy to see, so check them all VERY carefully as a cracked fuse could also cause this issue as it would only be open for a short time then back touching, though I’d expect if it was a cracked steering pump fuse, with the high current demand at times, any crack would show up as a charred/burned area on that fuse.
Dubtom
New

Post by Dubtom »

ImageHi
Been for a trip to the local garage and they confirmed that the power steering is not working correctly/on its way out. They put a diagnostics on it and checked all connections voltage etc, so I assume that the conclusion is that the pump or the unit isn’t working.
I just managed to remove a headlight and unscrew the green lid. The “dipstick” was wet but I dried it and put it back on and off a few times and it didn’t get wet! Looks to me like it is a little low on fluid.
Does anyone know what fluid it should take? I think I need to give it a shot before major work.
Attachments
D3726EFB-77F3-4DF5-BB92-F88749944FBB.jpeg
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I tend to get a bit "precious" with some things, and means I bought the correct VW Group fluid - I needed it for my old 2000 Passat 4Motion as silly VW used some unsuitable hydraulic hose clamps so one leaked a bit, I never ever needed to top up the fluid on my wife's old 2002 9N Polo or my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza, so if you can see the top of the fluid then I'd accept that the fluid level is high enough though maybe just below the dip stick level, if you check it again after a run, you should probably find that as the fluid is hot/warm the level will now be high enough to touch the dip stick - or the fluid has been sloshing around and some ended on the dip stick. None of that will probably make you feel good though, but I'd think that the problem lies somewhere else - was that garage knowledgeable about that steering system - or just guessing? If you got a good VW Group indie to connect a fully VW Group compliant scan tool to that car, the read fault codes might give closer clues to what is happening. Starting to change power steering bits gets expensive which is okay I suppose if the diagnosis is spot on - painful if not!
Dubtom
New

Post by Dubtom »

Thanks for the reply.
I get what you mean but a 10 quid bottle of fluid is worth a punt instead of a new unit! The light hasn’t been on all this week despite the car covering a couple of hundred miles.
I have googled images of the reservoir and some have min max lines others have dots. Mine is become below the bottom marker which looks like a dot. How do I figure out what fluid to use or would regular power steering fluid work?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Only use a power steering fluid that complies with VW spec G 004 000 M2, that is why I just bought it from VW, but by now I'd think that there will be cheaper aftermarket suppliers, do ECP not sell it?

Edit:- maybe not ECP, which surprises me.
Adam828282
New
Drives: 2010 Vw polo

Post by Adam828282 »

Hello, just wanted to check if this is normal I have a Vw polo 2010 1.4 Petrol- when I start the vehicle is it normal to hear a power steering whine for a few seconds. Also is it normal to hear the same noise almost power down when switching the car off?

Thank you :D
chrishop
New
Drives: VW

Post by chrishop »

Hello, Just want to know which power steering pump is better. I am checking a website they have multiple power steering pump and I think the price is also good but I am confused which one will be good.

Can you please suggest which one is the best power steering pump. here I am sharing the link.

https://bit.ly/3ulGX5q
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

chrishop wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:21 pm Hello, Just want to know which power steering pump is better. I am checking a website they have multiple power steering pump and I think the price is also good but I am confused which one will be good.

Can you please suggest which one is the best power steering pump. here I am sharing the link.

https://bit.ly/3ulGX5q
I think that you have the wrong idea of what or which type of power steering system these cars have, it is known as an "electro hydraulic" power steering system, and that means that these early cars have an electric power steering pump which is only available as a built up assembly that includes an electric power steering pump + fluid reservoir + ECU. The original supplier was always, in the case of Polos, TRW.
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

If you pick the route for used pump, get a pump that is newer build date, and check all connectors on your car and pump.
Also any kind of belly protection that covers the pump area will help prolong the life of the pump.

These pumps have a hole under the 12V and Ground connector that is directly above the Board and motor. So a belly protection, and connectors that are in good condition will help to prolong the life.