ABS, TPMS and Start / Stop errors

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Jimbo95
New
Drives: Polo 1.2 TSI SE

ABS, TPMS and Start / Stop errors

Post by Jimbo95 »

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of an issue at the moment with my Polo and wondered if anyone could give some advice regarding this.

Recently I had an oil change, and around a mile down the road both my TPMS, Traction Control, ABS and Start / stop errors all came on at the same time.

I took it back to my garage, they reset the error codes and said the only one that remained was due to the front left ABS sensor.

I thought "That's odd" as that's the wheel that recently had a load of black slaz (my professional diagnosis) build up on the inside of my wheel over the last month or two.

He had a look and my CV boot had a very small tear and was therefore leaking, so he hadn't noticed it during the service.

He since replaced that part, and while I now have traction control, the rest of the error codes have since come back after he reset it again. He did also say he tried to clean as best he can the ABS sensor from around that area.

Annoyingly, I've just bought myself an OBD2 reader (OBD Connect - OBDII v310) and it's not displaying any error codes on the device, and therefore I can't erase any codes on there or see the error they had previously seen.

So at this point, does anyone think it's worth just replacing this particular ABS sensor? I've seen that the prices for them aren't that much, whoever I can't even remove mine as it will not come off whatsoever after removing the allan bolt.

Any pointers would be lovely, thanks for your time!

Cheers.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: ABS, TPMS and Start / Stop errors

Post by iichel »

I would suggest to take it to a proper garage. If it throws yellow and red lights at you, it should have an error code as well in the 03 ABS module (perhaps you're reading the engine module since that's what most OBD dongles only do)
Jimbo95
New

Post by Jimbo95 »

Hi All,

Sorry if this contravenes bumping older posts, but I thought I'd provide an update should anyone else have this / a similar issue in the future.

The gents at my local garage replaced the ABS sensor, wiped the codes and the front left ABS error came back again.

Annoyingly, the next step was to change the wheel bearing itself, so about an hour in labour and £20 online to find the part (garage quoted me 50 for an OEM one) and that's sorted it all out.

Turns out the magnetic strip around the circumference of the bearing had completely deteriorated away, probably explains why the sensor couldn't read anything haha.

All in all, cost me around £130-140 to replace the sensor and bearing inc labour, as I visited twice.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

@Jimbo95, I'd doubt if you have broken any forum rules by that last post, in fact you have done what I hope we all would have done, which is to let the forum users know what finally resolved your problem, and for that I will say "Thank You".

Many people just ask for help then disappear until their next problem arrives, which is not good.
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

I agree, appreciate your posting regarding the solution!
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

Abs faults on dash clear by them self if its fixed
Jimbo95
New

Post by Jimbo95 »

Hi all,

Just bumping this as the errors have come back unfortunately, and was hoping if anyone had any advice.

I have Carista app/dongle and it's giving me the error 00625, which is again the front left.

Looking at the sensor again, the garage who replaced the sensor look to have broken one of the clips for the sensor connector, so they used cable ties to hold it in place

Now, I've already replaced the sensor with a Meyle one and even gone so far as to replace the connector itself so everything clips in correctly, but I'm getting the exact same error.

I've traced the wires from the connector up into the wheel arch, I can't see / feel any exposed wires. Does anyone have any ideas as to what to check next?

Cheers
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Bad news, what sort of condition do you think that your replacement bearing that you supplied is in.

Also can yuo check side to side to make sure that the hubs are both "sitting in the correct position" - just in case that cheap bearing has shown you why it was cheap, or that workshop did not have the correct kit to fit it and has messed it up and that bearing has "walked" out from its correct location.
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

Are you sure that you didnt swap the wires at the connector. They arent the same if you sourced the connector from a used golf or etc.
Jimbo95
New

Post by Jimbo95 »

Bit of a delay on this one as I've been umming and ahhing.

Regarding the connector, I made a note of which wire went to which end before I cut them, so unless my part has swapped them around from the factory one, that should be fine.

For the bearing, I did take the sensor out and looked down the hole and span it around a bit, it was a bit rusty on the bearing where the sensor would be reading the bearing so I've had that replaced (again) to make sure it's not an issue, but the ABS light is still on after being driven / reset etc.

The garage I went through (different one now) has said that they'd advise changing the battery and for the electrical faults to be investigated.

I am inclined to replace the battery since it's a late 2014/early 15 model, and I've owned it since late 2017 so it's been in there a while and to just hand it over to my local garage and see what they say, but does anyone have any ideas?
natprice1445
New
Drives: 1.2L 2012

Post by natprice1445 »

Apologies for digging up and old post. Having a similar issue but with check engine light also and today the epc light came on and car went into limp mode on the motorway. ODB reader says camshaft sensor error upon other things. Replaced the camshaft sensor and problems still persist. really not sure where to go. could it be timing chain issue? or strictly a sensor problem.