2009 Polo 1.4 tdi 3 cylinder diesel engine

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Tony Gardiner
New
Drives: 1.4 tdi

2009 Polo 1.4 tdi 3 cylinder diesel engine

Post by Tony Gardiner »

Polo 2009 1.4 tdi 3 cylinder diesel engine. I have had this car with noisey booming exhaust sounding noise for 8 years without problem. Done 41k myself. In total the car has done 118k. Now I have come to sell it everyone comments on noisey engine and won't buy it. Anyone know what's wrong or is this normal.
Teee
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo gti +

Re: 2009 Polo 1.4 tdi 3 cylinder diesel engine

Post by Teee »

Hey there buddy, I’m sure you have a late 2009 polo 9n3 as they didn’t make the polo 6r with a 1.4 tdi. The 6r came with a 1.2 tdi and a 1.6 tdi this section of the forum is for the 6r & 6c. however the 6c came with a 1.4 tdi but that was after 2014, im guessing it might be a different and more refined engine (I could be wrong). for more information it might be better to repost or have a look In the 9n3 or 9n section.

https://www.uk-polos.net/viewforum.php?f=43

From what I remember apparently it’s just the Characteristics of the unbalanced 3 cylinders tdi engine their just loud. To make it as quite as possible best thing to do is have all the original sound deadening under the bonnet in place so the thick kinda felt Material on the inside of the bonnet, the engine cover with original foam and the undertray, sometimes these are missing also try use premium diesel from shell it makes it a little quieter & you get a few more miles per tank.

I myself had a 2003 9n 1.4tdi, I got the car with 127,000 in 2011 and sold it early 2020 with 237,000 with the original turbo, the car never let me down at all. Those 1.4 tdi pd engines are very strong if regularly serviced & I drove it very hard but it still wouldn’t give up lol. I even had it remapped at 165,000, the clutch always felt weird (the bite) had a judder apparently it’s because it’s a single mass (solid flywheel). The car always sounded like a Chinook helicopter it was loud as hell, I made it louder by putting a k&n air filter and a stainless steel twin pipe back box on it. after doing the intake and exhaust mods it sounded like the exhaust manifold had a hole in it. definitely don’t do that if you want it to be quiet lol.
polo010199
New
Drives: polo 6R 1.6 TDI

Re: 2009 Polo 1.4 tdi 3 cylinder diesel engine

Post by polo010199 »