Polo 6R --> 6C Tail Lights conversion: parking lights not working.

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Jay-Jay
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 6R HL 1.2TSI 77kw, Audi S1 MY2018

Re: Polo 6R --> 6C Tail Lights conversion: parking lights not working.

Post by Jay-Jay »

Considering what I've written above, what do you think if I'd buy T10 LEDs bulbs with 5W resistors?
I've found these WHITE LEDs bulbs:
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B0859V ... UTF8&psc=1
Could they be ok?
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

My suggestion:

https://www.osram.com/ecat/LEDriving%20 ... P_4053408/

https://auto-parts-europe.com/it/home/1 ... 2899381896

It is possible that the LEDs you link are totally correct, but I cannot give my opinion on that. There is a huge variety of LED bulbs for sale, but it is very common that the data shown in the sale announcements is not real (true).

Consumption or power (W) should not be your main concern when installing LED bulbs (even if they have resistors to avoid diagnostic failures).

---
As a simple curiosity of what I did when you asked me for messaging (pm).

Well, I prefer not to talk about P = V.I (w = v.a) or about the intensity that the thickness of the wires is capable of supporting, it would be too long and not effective.

I imagine that the BCM limit for this circumstance in question will be set at 20 to 25 Watts for each of the two 0.5mm2 wires that feed each of the two sides for your parking-side lights (electrical installation for halogen headlights).

The LED module of your Bixenon headlights plus the 16W of your new 6C TL clearly exceed those 25W of BCM diagnostic and the intensity limit of normal use of a 0.5mm2 automotive wire (7amp/3 approx).
I have done the math and it is logical that the BCM protects those two wires for your parking-side lights.
Jay-Jay
Silver Member

Post by Jay-Jay »

Thank you for the clarification, ciclo! :)
Do you know how much power front LEDs need?
I'd like to calculate my residual power consumption limit only for rear parking lights.
ciclo wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:41 am ...
Consumption or power (W) should not be your main concern when installing LED bulbs (even if they have resistors to avoid diagnostic failures).
I've found LEDs bulbs with 30 or 40 LEDs, where each LED needs 0,6W or 1W, so the total power consumption is more than 16W: they are clearly not right for my case.
But I also found some bulbs with a total consumption of 10W or 8W (less than 16W, but more than 5W).
If I know what's my residual power consumption limit for rear parking lights, I can better search for the ideal bulbs.

The Osram LEDs bulbs you suggested surely are of exceptional quality, but they are very expensive, in my honest opinion. 30 or 40€ for just a pair of LEDs bulbs is too much for me. It's more than what I paid for the 6C Tail Lights. :P
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

The math is clear:
Consumed power by the internal led module of your bi-xenon headlights = 2OW (according to VCDS label)
Consumed power by the original halogen bulb = 5W

20 + 5 = works
20 + 16 = not work (BCM protection)

20 + 5 does not mean that it is an ideal situation.

Let me insist (🤣), in your case, the real problem lies in the amount of intensity that the 0.5mm2 wires are capable of withstanding under normal operating conditions.
With 20 + 5 W your 0.5 mm2 wires are already operating at the limit of the allowed intensity, which, as I said, is not an ideal situation, any undue fluctuation in the voltage could ruin the electrical installation.

If you look at the Osram w16w LED bulbs data sheet that I suggest, the power input is 3.08W, which makes these LED bulbs improve your current situation for what you want to achieve, ... that is, reduce consumption, reduce the intensity at which the 0.5mm2 wires work and increase the luminous flux.

Hmm .. look for cheaper LED bulbs with similar performance characteristics.

---
I would like to make it clear that the only thing that I recommend is to install the BCM Max and the necessary cables, the rest of the conversation that we have is to have a pleasant time. :)
Jay-Jay
Silver Member

Post by Jay-Jay »

Perfect! Thank you so much. :)
So, I need to search for LEDs bulbs that consum not more than 5W.
Certainly, 3W would be perfect and allow to stay within the safe limit of the 0,5 mm2 wires.

Only one last question: could you confirm that white LEDs bulbs will not make the Tail Lights look orange?
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Do a test with a LED flashlight, ... not everyone sees the same colors. :lol:
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

my experience with white LEDs is that they make it a bit pink/orange. I put in some red LEDs and to avoid errors, i connected the front parking lights to the heated nozzles for the windscreen washers to add some resistance and consumption.
Jay-Jay
Silver Member

Post by Jay-Jay »

5/6 years ago I had the same experience with very very very cheap LEDs bulbs.
Do you have some pictures of how your Tail Lights look with red LEDs bulbs?
ciclo wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:43 pm Do a test with a LED flashlight, ... not everyone sees the same colors. :lol:
I'll try that! :D
Jay-Jay
Silver Member

Post by Jay-Jay »

Well, I bought the white LEDs bulbs I found on Amazon few days ago.

They don't look that bad.
There are 30 SMD 3014 LEDs on each bulb.
Each LED absorbs 0,1W, so the total power consumption is 3W.

This is how they look once installed:
They are definetely brighter than 5W halogen bulbs, but I don't know if they are as bright as 16W halogen bulbs.
After all I can't complain: there has been an improvement! :D
I think I will stick with these bulbs, hoping they will not burn out soon.

A big thank to iichel and ciclo for the help! You're precious as always! 8)
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

I guess with WHITE LEDs they don't look as pink as expected/commented :?: :lol: .
In the posted image it seems that there are no shaded places and the outline of the parking/side lights is clearly drawn.
You also got rid of scan faults and reduced consumption.👍

Even with the original/genuine w16w halogen bulbs some shady spots can be seen in the rear position/side lights, although less than with the w5w. :)

Ok, some time ago I bought the OSRAM LEDriving RED lamps to test them in the rear parking/side lights of my 6R (BCM Max), together with other OSRAM LEDriving Lamps for my 6R SCLs (inside of bi-xenon headlights). I told Francesco (Franciswhat) that I would do some tests with them in the future, but these tests were not yet possible. :|

I hope to post soon the result of the TESTS of both OSRAM LEDriving Lamps in the topic dedicated to my 6R, ... coding if necessary, lumen, and images of emited light if the camera of my smartphone does not do stupid things ... 😆

The bench tests with a digital DC power supply are promising, a low consumption suitable for the 6R electrical system with factory Bixenon (bcm max), and a powerful but not exaggerated lighting.
Jay-Jay
Silver Member

Post by Jay-Jay »

Yes, the colour is not as pink as with original bulb.
But I can live with that: I'm very satisfied with the final result, since, as you noticed, the outline is completely drawn. :)
Looking forward to seeing the results of your tests. :D

Are you replacing Hi/Low-Beam D3S Xenon bulbs with LEDs bulbs?
I've just done that and I couldn't be happier: they are brighter and produce a more white light compared with the 4300k D3S Osram bulbs I had before.
I also cleaned the exterior of the projector lenses, following your images, and also the interior of the lenses, thanks to a stick with a piece of cotton and soft cloth attached to the end of it, and they have become cristal clear and project a much brighter and wider light. 8)

ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Jay-Jay wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:20 pm Are you replacing Hi/Low-Beam D3S Xenon bulbs with LEDs bulbs?
No, I would not do such a thing. :)
Xenon lamps continue to provide very good illumination, and with the original electrical system there is no point in doing such a thing.
Although it is true that bi-xenon headlights have become outdated compared to the current original VW LED headlights.

The front LEDriving lamps shown in the image of my previous post are for Static Cornering Lights (SCLs), which are included in 6R bixenon headlights.
But as I mentioned, I will do tests before deciding something about them, ... if the light beam pattern, lumens, etc. are not correct I will not leave them installed.
Jay-Jay
Silver Member

Post by Jay-Jay »

My old Xenon bulbs were 7 years old and lost a lot of brightness, so I had to replace them.
After reading opinions online and watching many videos on YouTube, I casually found those LED bulbs and I wanted to try them. I definitely don't regret it. :D

Well, I'll wait for results of your tests!
I'd like to replace SCLs halogen bulbs with LEDs bulbs, since I use them in pair with High Beams.
Jay-Jay
Silver Member

Post by Jay-Jay »

Well, thanks to Black Friday I've been able to find Osram RED Leds lamps for half of their price. :D

Despite the technical sheet says they produces 80 lumens, they are brighter than the White Leds lamp I bought from Amazon (about 500 lumens).
The overall result is very pleasant. :)
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

I got exactly the same result. 8)

You find them brighter than the cheap ones due to the way the LEDs are arranged inside the lamp. Light emission angles, etc.

I tested both OSRAM LEDriving lamps that I showed above, the quality of the emitted light is excellent (for SCLs and P/S lights), but I found that although they fit well in their corresponding places, they do not do so in such a precise way like halogen bulbs.

I think it is possible that with time, bumps in the road, etc. make a bad contact and stop working temporarily, so I have decided not to leave them installed. :|
It is only a precautionary decision, this may never happen.

- For the SCLs shown, no type of coding is necessary. :)
- For the Parking/Side lights (in my case) it is necessary to modify Bytes 11 (1,2) and 19 (1,6) of the BCM to avoid the fault in diagnosis. I don't remember exactly the Bits that need to be enabled or disabled since I decided not to leave them installed and recode for halogen bulbs. :lol:

SCLs data: