Headlights

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
J_hutchison
Getting There!
Drives: 2017 1.2 TSI

Headlights

Post by J_hutchison »

What's the best Halogen (legal) bulbs?
I've tried Osram Nightbreaker (rubbish) and Phillip's White Vision.
Phillip's pnes looks good but the range was rubbish as was the Osram ones.
J_hutchison
Getting There!

Re: Healights

Post by J_hutchison »

Can someone help with the filament in the lamp. Should it point upwards or down??
ysl7
New
Drives: 1.2 TSI 6C

Post by ysl7 »

I'm pretty happy with: Philips WhiteVision Xenon effect -- I see you've detailed about them in your thread, however.

A friend of mine is running 'NIGHTEYE LED Headlights' - which just screw in to the same fitting. They're bright- seriously bright- but the spread of light is awful.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

ysl7 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:32 pm I'm pretty happy with: Philips WhiteVision Xenon effect -- I see you've detailed about them in your thread, however.

A friend of mine is running 'NIGHTEYE LED Headlights' - which just screw in to the same fitting. They're bright- seriously bright- but the spread of light is awful.
Poor spread of light is one of the consequences of fitting LED bulbs in headlamp units that weren’t designed for them. That poor spread of light is usually accompanied by a high degree of light scatter which can be very annoying - and dazzling - to oncoming drivers.
J_hutchison
Getting There!

Post by J_hutchison »

ysl7 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:32 pm I'm pretty happy with: Philips WhiteVision Xenon effect -- I see you've detailed about them in your thread, however.

Are you running these ones? I've got the 4200 Kelvin ones but I had these ones (pic attached) in my old 2007 9n3 Polo and they were great both spread and brightness.
Attachments
Screenshot_20201124-231700_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20201124-231700_Amazon Shopping.jpg (506.72 KiB) Viewed 758 times
J_hutchison
Getting There!

Re: Headlights

Post by J_hutchison »

How should the filament point? Up or down inside the unit
Attachments
Screenshot_20201125-081624_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20201125-081624_Samsung Internet.jpg (282.18 KiB) Viewed 729 times
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Either that is a funny question, or you have asked it in a funny way, the indexing tag is there so that you orientate the bulbs in exactly the correct way.

I'm not trying to say that from my past experience that fitting these bulbs correctly is easy by the way!

If you have had both bulbs out and now can't find the correct orientation, all you can do is to find some similar Polos and take a picture of both lights on maybe a random couple of cars, then try to see if that allows you to get them into the correct position.

Edit:- luckily for me we have managed to "walk away" from tungsen filament head lighted cars.

Philips Extreme etc always worked in my wife's previous 2002 Polo.
J_hutchison
Getting There!

Post by J_hutchison »

RUM4MO wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:31 am Either that is a funny question, or you have asked it in a funny way, the indexing tag is there so that you orientate the bulbs in exactly the correct way.

I'm not trying to say that from my past experience that fitting these bulbs correctly is easy by the way!

If you have had both bulbs out and now can't find the correct orientation, all you can do is to find some similar Polos and take a picture of both lights on maybe a random couple of cars, then try to see if that allows you to get them into the correct position.

Edit:- luckily for me we have managed to "walk away" from tungsen filament head lighted cars.

Philips Extreme etc always worked in my wife's previous 2002 Polo.
My polo is second hand and the lamp holders have clearly been fiddled with before so the lamp fits either way up. The actual holder only fits one way still.

So should the tab of the lamp line up the the tab of the holder?
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

as long as it fits in the holder in a parallel/square way, it doesn't matter what way goes up or down.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I seem to remember looking in through the front of the headlight while fitting the bulb in and rotating it, doing that might help see if you can at least get it to end up seated fully where it should be. On reflection, most of my swopping bulbs on earlier Polos was on headlights that had 2 single filament bulbs, but the logic and use of these polarising tangs/lugs should be the same.

Edit:- a "brain fart" your bulbs are also single filament as I've looked at your earlier post and picture!!