AC doesnt work, help needed Polo 6R 2014

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
atopman
New
Drives: polo 6r

AC doesnt work, help needed Polo 6R 2014

Post by atopman »

Hi everyone,

i bought a 2014 polo match 1.2 couple of years ago, im looking for some help to diagnose & hopefully fix my AC, as it doesnt blow cold air, and never has, the blower all works fine otherwise. What ive done so far is, i dont hear a click when operating the ac button, and so when i look at the compressor, the whole pulley including all the central area is always spinning even when the ac is switched off, Im wondering if mine has a clutch or not to explain this. i have taken a pic below. i guess i could meter the electrics supply/ control plug, not sure where that is yet, thanks in advance :)
polo ac pulley.jpg
polo ac pulley.jpg (122.03 KiB) Viewed 1649 times
Grizwald
New
Drives: 6r 1.2 Match Black 3 door.

Re: AC doesnt work, help needed Polo 6R 2014

Post by Grizwald »

Possibly a stone chip caused a hole in the condenser, happened to my first 6r.
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

The compressor won’t work if the gas level is low/empty
A/C requires a service every couple of years to maintain its efficiency get it to any garage or tyre place they usually have a A/C machine to check the gas level and for leaks.
That would be my first call or you could just waist hours checking the electrical side just to find out there is no gas.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

That compressor type does not have an electro magnetic clutch, the compressor is always driven, but operating at a very low displacement, that keeps enough oil running round the system to stop any rubber elements drying out and causing leaks.

The system pressure sensor, which is located on a pipe on the RHS inner wing area under the bonnet - it has a cable and connector on it, does tend to cause issues, one issue is it leaks and so if it is leaking there will be a wetness caused by system oil misting out, the other issue is that it becomes faulty so the AC control thinks that the gas pressure is too low or too high and stops the system pumping at normal in use capacity.

There is always the possibility of a stone strike in the front mounted condenser, or much worse, a leaking evaporator which is inside the car.

A proper AC mobile operator would connect his gauges to your car and that would tell him if there is enough gas in the system, if you know someone that has VCDS they could check the AC system for logged faults, that would point out a faulty pressure sensor if you are lucky, or lack of fridge gas (R134A).

Not really the best time of year to work on these systems as they are protected from running below an ambient temperature of +4C as there would be a danger of the evaporator freezing up and getting blocked to passing air flow.

Edit:- there is a cable that connects to that compressor it is to alter the effective compressor displacement so you could check that it is okay, though I would be getting a scan carried out on that AC system using VCDS for instance.
atopman
New

Post by atopman »

hi all ,
todays a bit warmer 10'C so i had a look at the AC fault, i dont think its working, i did feel the high and low pipes and they were warm and coldish, but i dont think cold enough. I ve got a Carista app, and it gave these codes ( i have hopefully fixed the airbag switch, pins not soldered inside it !) I did clear all the codes after i repaired the airbag switch, and i heard the motor flap or something move inside the vent areas. I ran the AC for 30 minutes, and theres no error code yet, and it doesnt really blow cold, maybe slightly, but not sure. A few days ago, the halfords guy connected a refrigerant can with pressure gauge, and i saw it was in the green zone.
image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg (57.49 KiB) Viewed 1574 times
atopman
New

Post by atopman »

thanks eveyone, I think I can now hear the AC motor come on when the AC button is pressed, and also when idling i can just hear a fridge like sound recirculating, and the error codes have not come back yet after i cleared them, and although the pressure sensor looks clean, i would like to know how to test it.
The cooling fan does operate at high & low speeds cooling the engine, but doesnt appear to activate immediately ( if it was off) when the AC button is pressed. Im now thinking the fan is not being controlled ON by the AC ? and is possibly the fault, any ideas how to check this? where is the AC controller ?

PS which cheap vcds cable can i buy ?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I would have expected that any problems relating to the fridge gas pressure sensor to be picked up by a proper scan tool, I'm not sure how smart Carista is when scanning the HVAC system, though with my wife's 2015 6C Polo, I did get a a low fridge gas pressure fault logged when using VCDS, though with that scan tool I can also check the standing pressure and it showed that the fridge pressure was near enough zero.

Did that Halfords person check the fridge pressure when the AC was being asked to run, if not, maybe they only checked the system standing pressure which would still give a "green" reading if there was still some liquid R134A left in the system, but as soon as you started demanding any work from the chiller, the pressure would change and not get high enough to switch on the evaporator cooling fan. As far as I know, the evaporator cooling fan does not get switched on directly by the AC system being ON, it will also need the gas pressure to be high enough to run, as running it at all times the AC was ON could end up with running pressures being too low for that system to be running efficiently.
atopman
New

Post by atopman »

update, last year i bought one of those cans off ebay and the valve. The can was supposed to have sealant inside too. It worked, but it only lasted a few weeks or months, i think it leaked out again.
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

If it had UV dye you could use a uv light and find the leak and fix it properly. If it's a hose weld it etc. replace o-rings....
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I've not got round to sorting out the AC in my wife's August 2015 Polo 1.2TSI yet, I bought new O-rings and a Nissans condenser as it is in the firing line for stones, but so far I've not found where the gas is leaking out off.
When the weather gets too hot in July each year, I've grabbed a money off voucher and got it refilled, that lasts 4 months, so it is not leaking badly enough to fail the vacuum test prior to refilling with R134A.
Maybe, just maybe, I'll look into this early summer, and check/change the fuel high pressure rail securing bolts at the same time.