Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Pophughes
New
Drives: 2012 blue motion

EGR Fault but car drives fine

Post by Pophughes »

Hello

My car is a 1.2 2012 blue motion.

Last year the engine management light would come on for short periods and then turn off again.

When I got this looked at I was told it was a fault with the EGR.

Since then the light has now stayed on and it has been on for the last few months however my car still drives the same.
I haven’t notice any loss in power and my fuel consumption is still pretty good.

Although my car is one that was involved in the emissions scandal the work/ recall hasn’t been done to resolve this.

Any ideas if I need to get the valve done or it is not necessary unless I start to have problems? It’s just quite a costly job that I’d rather not have to do if possible.

Thanks
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Re: EGR Fault but car drives fine

Post by amer6R »

I would clean the egr return pipe. The one that goes into anti sthuder valve. Cheap and easy and gets gunked.
Pophughes
New

Post by Pophughes »

amer6R wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:42 pm I would clean the egr return pipe. The one that goes into anti sthuder valve. Cheap and easy and gets gunked.
Is this something I can do myself? Although I am a woman I can do some bits on cars 🤣
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

If your EML is on this will be an m.o.t failure and may also be affecting the emissions
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

Pophughes wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:20 pm
amer6R wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:42 pm I would clean the egr return pipe. The one that goes into anti sthuder valve. Cheap and easy and gets gunked.
Is this something I can do myself? Although I am a woman I can do some bits on cars 🤣
If you have a torx T30, and a bit of umf to uscrew 4 bolts you can. And also oven cleaner, ps gloves and a old tooth brush. Its is a dirty job but a simple one.
Pophughes
New

Post by Pophughes »

CarbonChaos wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:15 pm If your EML is on this will be an m.o.t failure and may also be affecting the emissions
It’s in for MOT next week and I’m able to turn the EML off and it stays off for a couple of days so hopefully it’ll pass
Pophughes
New

Post by Pophughes »

amer6R wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:22 am
If you have a torx T30, and a bit of umf to uscrew 4 bolts you can. And also oven cleaner, ps gloves and a old tooth brush. Its is a dirty job but a simple one.

I’m sure I can have a go this weekend, thanks
Pophughes
New

Post by Pophughes »

amer6R wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:22 am

I’m sure I can have a go this weekend, thanks