Standing water in front passenger footwell - Mk9 6C 1L Polo Match

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
nick7wilson
New
Drives: Mk9 6C 1L Polo Match

Standing water in front passenger footwell - Mk9 6C 1L Polo Match

Post by nick7wilson »

Hello all, I would like some advice and guidance around why the heck I have a very damp front passenger footwell.

I'm a driving instructor, so the car has been sitting on my drive on-and-off for the past year, and very recently only going on the occasional very short journey to 'keep her ticking over'.
I've always noticed a musty smell in the car after long periods of inactivity but never really thought about it too much... until yesterday, when I noticed the mats were looking mouldy!

I've already searched these forums and other websites for the answer to my prayers, however I can't quite work out what my specific issue could be.

There hasn't been anyone sitting in the front passenger seat for a couple of months now.

I DO NOT have a sunroof.

I've attached a few photos of what I can see, as far as I can go.
You can see the dark areas of the materials when the water/dampness is most promenent.

Can anyone please shed any light on the situation?
(let me know if more info is needed)

Mk9 6C 1L Polo Match
Attachments
IMG_5176.jpg
IMG_5176.jpg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 1388 times
IMG_5177.jpg
IMG_5177.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 1388 times
IMG_5178.jpg
IMG_5178.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 1388 times
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Standing water in front passenger footwell - Mk9 6C 1L Polo Match

Post by RUM4MO »

Has your car been parked close to trees, bushes or a hedge, if so maybe dead foliage has got into the area in front of the windscreen and blocked the drainage points so water is getting in via the cabin heater inlet.

Or, has the windscreen ever been replaced and so not sealed properly.

Or has there been any crash damage repair on that side and panel seam sealer not been done correctly.

Or a defective door opening seal.

Or the door's internal sealing, ie from the door frame to the inner panel/window regulator assembly is leaking so water is entering the door and instead of leaving via the lower drain point is filling up the door's internal space and leaking out into the car.

Or even the door's lower drain point is blocked, logically there must be some though I've never noticed them or remembered noticing them.

Edit:- tip, remove the cabin pollen filter and check if it is dry or wet and if there are any traces of water having been in the cabin heater filter area. Always remember while the water has been initially found in the front passenger seat floor area, if the car is parked on a slope, the points of entry for this water could be elsewhere.

This leakage has not been caused by badly fitted driving school duplicate pedals?
nick7wilson
New

Post by nick7wilson »

Thanks for the advice - I’ll work down your list, asap tomorrow.
Also, I’ll try to find out what some of the car parts and car terms you’ve mentioned are, without asking straightaway - but I might come back to you with a few questions.
(Disclaimer: I’m certainly no Mechanic, but more than happy to try)
Thanks again
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Post by wolfie »

Did you have water ingress before having the duals fitted? Might be worth checking that while fitting you didn't gain any new holes that aren't supposed to be there!
nick7wilson
New

Post by nick7wilson »

RUM4MO wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:31 pm Has your car been parked close to trees, bushes or a hedge, if so maybe dead foliage has got into the area in front of the windscreen and blocked the drainage points so water is getting in via the cabin heater inlet.
= no, not a tree or hedge in sight

Or, has the windscreen ever been replaced and so not sealed properly.
= not to my knowledge

Or has there been any crash damage repair on that side and panel seam sealer not been done correctly.
= not to my knowledge

Or a defective door opening seal.
= I’ve had a good look at all of the seals and they all look fine: none missing, squashed, perished, etc.

Or the door's internal sealing, ie from the door frame to the inner panel/window regulator assembly is leaking so water is entering the door and instead of leaving via the lower drain point is filling up the door's internal space and leaking out into the car.
= no dampness or signs of water near the door

Or even the door's lower drain point is blocked, logically there must be some though I've never noticed them or remembered noticing them.
= found the drain point, it’s clear

Edit:- tip, remove the cabin pollen filter and check if it is dry or wet and if there are any traces of water having been in the cabin heater filter area. Always remember while the water has been initially found in the front passenger seat floor area, if the car is parked on a slope, the points of entry for this water could be elsewhere.
= filter is bone dry, no signs of water. Not parked on a slope.

This leakage has not been caused by badly fitted driving school duplicate pedals?
= I don’t think so, all looks ‘proper’. Only 1 extra hole was needed to be drilled for a bolt to fit the dual controls - and more photos attached to show this extra bolt (from the footwell perspective and also the engine bay perspective)
Attachments
4D4854FA-8526-4664-AC6A-ADA6E4EDC0CB.jpeg
4D4854FA-8526-4664-AC6A-ADA6E4EDC0CB.jpeg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 1330 times
EF9B72FD-01CB-4F11-BB62-EBE3F27C0FB6.jpeg
EF9B72FD-01CB-4F11-BB62-EBE3F27C0FB6.jpeg (801.46 KiB) Viewed 1330 times
nick7wilson
New

Post by nick7wilson »

wolfie wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:28 am Did you have water ingress before having the duals fitted? Might be worth checking that while fitting you didn't gain any new holes that aren't supposed to be there!
Thanks also for the reply.
I had the duals fitted a week after I bought the car, so impossible to tell... but I don’t think it’s related to this
nick7wilson
New

Post by nick7wilson »

It’s been mentioned to me that it might have something to do with the heater matrix/pipes, as I think my coolant is lower than it should be... 🤔
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I would expect that the coolant in this car is pinkish in colour, some might say purpleish, so if you mop some up using a white paper towel etc, what is collected on the white paper towel should turn that white paper towel pinkish or purpleish if it is coolant.

How much coolant did it take to bring the coolant level back up to between MIN and MAX when the engine is cold, ideally buy some G13 spec coolant only to add back in.
nick7wilson
New

Post by nick7wilson »

RUM4MO wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:29 pm I would expect that the coolant in this car is pinkish in colour, some might say purpleish, so if you mop some up using a white paper towel etc, what is collected on the white paper towel should turn that white paper towel pinkish or purpleish if it is coolant.

How much coolant did it take to bring the coolant level back up to between MIN and MAX when the engine is cold, ideally buy some G13 spec coolant only to add back in.
Good idea... just did that, the piece of white kitchen roll is still perfectly white.
(the coolant still worries me - maybe a separate issue)
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

I’ve experienced this on a non VW that had dual controls fitted.

After much standing on my head and head scratching I discovered that the drain pipe from the air con had been displaced during the work and was venting into the footwell rather than under the car.
nick7wilson
New

Post by nick7wilson »

Ricmondo wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:33 pm I’ve experienced this on a non VW that had dual controls fitted.

After much standing on my head and head scratching I discovered that the drain pipe from the air con had been displaced during the work and was venting into the footwell rather than under the car.
Thank you, definitely worth investigation
nick7wilson
New

Post by nick7wilson »

I just got the hose on the front passenger window and also on the passenger side of the windscreen, and water did trickle through... at this point in the footwell (see photos).
Which leads me to believe it’s a blocked drain / rubber bung - after reading other posts and speaking with someone that’s a lot more experienced than me.
Next, attempting to take off wipers and plastic trim 😬
Attachments
67D7D910-88DB-44F5-8DAE-1DC782A66E21.jpeg
67D7D910-88DB-44F5-8DAE-1DC782A66E21.jpeg (940.93 KiB) Viewed 1299 times
2C176310-22E9-4000-8836-C61A3065BC5E.jpeg
2C176310-22E9-4000-8836-C61A3065BC5E.jpeg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 1299 times
nick7wilson
New

Post by nick7wilson »

Just in case anyone else is following this thread...

... I’ve had it looked at by a garage and they are baffled as to how it’s getting in. Without taking the dashboard out and the engine out - to get a much closer look at the bulkhead - they won’t be able to find out. Safe to say, as a Driving Instructor, I don’t have the time to do this unfortunately.

The mechanic’s best guess is that there’s a gap/split/defect in the bulkhead sealant somewhere, possibly in the wheel arch - as he’s noticed it’s had a wing replacement at some point, which might have moved the joins slightly.

Thanks to all who offered their advice 👍
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Post by wolfie »

One thing thing that may be worth a go is use a cheapo borescope to get in behind the panel. Cheapo ones that you plug into your phone can be had for under £20. Stand alone around £40. Doesn't necessarily mean you will be able to get at it of fix it. But at least you might spot where it's sneaking in.
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

Coolant would smell sugary/ sweet