1.2 tsi Fitting new Actuator and Calibration

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
JayW
Silver Member

1.2 tsi Fitting new Actuator and Calibration

Post by JayW »

Got a new actuator as the old one is finally dying, is it really necessary to re-calibrate the new one since its like for like?

I've heard people say theres no need to calibrate afterwards and it just works, no EPC lights or engine lights and the boost pressures are normal.

Gonna be doing mine this weekend and wanna be sure i dont need a VCDS tech to help calibrate afterwards, otherwise i'll get it booked.
Jay-Jay
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 6R HL 1.2TSI 77kw, Audi S1 MY2018

Re: 1.2 tsi Fitting new Actuator and Calibration

Post by Jay-Jay »

You don't obligatorily need VCDS or any other diagnostic tool for calibrating the wastegate actuator rod.
You can also do it by following these steps:
1- turn ON the ignition;
2- immediately turn it OFF;
3- wait 5 seconds;
4- repeat previous steps for a total of at least 15 times.

While you'll be turning ON/OFF the ignition, you'll start to hear the wastegate actuator rod move and click: that's the sign it's calibrating.

Here you can watch a video I made some time ago to show what the actuator rod does during the procedure:
MethOdMat
New
Drives: Polo 1.2 TSI dsg7 Lounge 2015

Re: 1.2 tsi Fitting new Actuator and Calibration

Post by MethOdMat »

Hi guys,

On my polo 1.2 TSI i got sometimes the EPC lights or engine lights ( or both at same time) and i don't know what to do anymore... is the calibration you mention Jay-Jay could help ? Or how do you know the actuator rod is dying (noob in mechanic here :? ) ?