Bulb warning light but no bulbs are out?! HELP!!!

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Dgilks
New
Drives: 1.2 TSI

Bulb warning light but no bulbs are out?! HELP!!!

Post by Dgilks »

Hi all :)
I’ve been a polo owner for 5 years now, and love my 2013 tsi 1.2 (before that I was a Lupo owner!)
I’ve just cleared my polo car loan and like my Lupo (which I nicknamed Herbie ‘cause had attitude problems, basically kept fixing it then something else would break!) things are starting to go abit strange. I generally get a bulb warning light come on say one in every three times I turn the car on, and haven’t got any bulbs out. I’ve replaced bulbs to try and fix the issue (old story of taking it to Halfords and they switch out a bulb for a new one) but it doesn’t fix the problem. They’ve said possibly it’s a wiring issue?!
I’ve got no clue, and I’ve asked my dad (who can fix most things) but electrics aren’t his thing.
So, I’m asking this question to my fellow polo owners to see if you have had any similar issues and if you found a remedy?
Many thanks :)
Demi
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Bulb warning light but no bulbs are out?! HELP!!!

Post by iichel »

You could see if the bulb shows up in a specific light switch setting. often the bulb holder for the tail lights starts to wobble or corrode a bit.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I think that you need to put the time in and remove each light cluster and examine it, typically, I discovered on a late 2009 SEAT Ibiza, the rear cluster bulb contacts are too strong/stiff and that can cause the the bulb side contact, that is just soft solder, to get crushed and so not making a good contact 100% of the time, so initially buy enough bulbs to replace all the bulbs in a rear cluster, don't compound things by buying crap cheap bulbs, buy quality brand bulbs cheaply, also check the rear light clusters plug and socket pins for corrosion and make sure the seals are still okay. After that has been completed, do the same for the front lights possibly without removing the head lights assemblies.

Edit:- I'm not sure if that bulb check system includes the reg plate either way remove it and check or change its bulb(s) and check the contacts.
Dgilks
New

Post by Dgilks »

Thanks both, got things to keep me busy this lockdown weekend then :) will give it a try!
Really appreciate the help. Will report back if I can fix it!!
Thanks again,
Demi :)
Trev the farmer
New
Drives: 1.2 TDI SE

Post by Trev the farmer »

When I bought my polo the warning light was on suggesting a bulb had blown. On the drivers side rear cluster a tiny bulb had blown, nobody could see what it was supposed to illuminate. It was a tiny thing. I intend to take out each bulb in turn and rub a little Vaseline on the terminals just to make a good connection.
Dgilks
New

Post by Dgilks »

Thanks Trev! All worth a go :) appreciate the help. Fingers crossed I can get the light to stay off for good!!
Thanks again :)