What's do people think of mud-flaps?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Michael
New
Drives: 6C

What's do people think of mud-flaps?

Post by Michael »

Hi All!

Have been a big fan of this forum for almost a year now and am finally taking the plunge to create the account which is long overdue! First off, thanks to everyone for this place because you have no idea how helpful these threads are.

I wanted to ask if what approaches people may or may not have taken when it comes to dealership installed moulded mud-flaps. I've been seeing a lot of posts across the web from drivers of varying vehicles who have encountered damage to paintwork where the mud-flaps over-lap. The reasoning for this seems to be that either the mud-flap itself rubs against the panelling over time or that debris works its way between the mud-flap and panelling before accomplishing the same thing.

Does this actually happen on the VW moulds as they aren't after market products? If it does occur, have you come across definitive workarounds? I've seen mention of applying 3M automotive tape between the mud-flap and the panelling to both prevent the plastic from rubbing against the panelling and to prevent ingress of debris. Have any of you done this and is it working? Or paint protective film?

If paint damage / eventual rust is an unavoidable eventuality then for the life of me I don't understand why VW sells them.

Am I missing something obvious?
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Re: What's do people think of mud-flaps?

Post by amer6R »

Personally i think they are a huge plus where you have salty roads.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Mud flaps is one of those car-related topics that can divide opinion - like DSG v’s manual transmission, leather v’s cloth upholstery, petrol v’s diesel (there will be others too). I was a firm believer of mud flaps for many years and had the car manufacturers version fitted to all the cars I owned from 1980 to 2016. I bought a 6c Polo GTI in 2016 and VW’s mud flaps for the 6r / 6c Polo didn’t fit the GTI model because of the GTI-specific side skirts and rear bumper. I now have a current model Polo GTI+ and VW don’t make mud flaps for that model either, so my last two cars have been mud flap free.

I have to say in all honesty, that I’ve not really noticed any difference in the amount of road dirt, road salt or stone chips along the sides of the car or compared to previous cars that had mud flaps fitted. With the two-box shape of modern hatchback cars, rear mud flaps will do little - if anything - to stop the rear of the car getting dirty, as the airflow over the car when it’s moving creates a vacuum behind the car that sucks dirt onto the tailgate and rear screen. Mud flaps probably do help to reduce dirt accumulation on the sides of the car though if you live in a rural location where the roads can become very muddy and dirty at certain times of the year.

I’ve also read of concerns on other forums of dirt getting between the moulded mud flap and the body panels and the dirt rubbing against the paintwork. I don’t know if this is an issue, but as you’ve said, fitting some clear PPF (paint protection film) to the area of the bodywork where the mud flap would make contact with it would probably help minimise the risk. As far as I’m aware, I never had an issue with the moulded type of mud flaps causing paint or rust damage, but then I never removed them to inspect the panel behind.

Would I have mud flaps fitted to my current car if VW made a set that would fit? Having experienced owning cars with and without mud flaps, I don’t think I’d bother having them fitted and I prefer the cleaner lines of a car without them fitted. Additionally, many car manufacturers mud flaps are very short in length, so IMO don’t provide much protection as they don’t ‘hang’ down far enough to stop dirt and road debris being flicked up onto the lower bodywork, although to be fair to VW, I think there’s a long and short version of their mud flaps for the 6r / 6c Polo.
Michael
New

Post by Michael »

Cheers for that, is interesting to hear the perspective. I have just asked a VW dealership directly and the parts department did assure me that they would do no damage to state clearly. As to whether or not I believe them... I'm not so sure.

I did enquire as to whether or not they use a protection film or similar and they said they don't as such isn't necessary.

The car has to go in for work anyway and so I will get them to confirm exactly what happens should damage occur post-installation. If they're stating officially that there's no issue then assuming that any damage does occur there must be a form of liability on their part? I'll try to get a black and white answer from them.

And should I have them install the flaps and I remove them down the line for inspection only to find damage, I don't want them to turn around and say that I damaged the paint myself through the act of removal.

To my mind either they would have to accept liability of damage if it occurs or they shouldn't be selling them. Assuming that damage DOES occur.

Will revert back with what they say.
Michael
New

Post by Michael »

Maybe the best approach would be to just let them do an inspection under the flaps at any viewing post installation (by them).
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

I think you are either being naive or extremely optimistic to expect a dealer to admit liability. The advice they have given you has no validity unless you have it in writing and very importantly the advisor is qualified and authorised to make such judgements. If you fit or have fitted accessories that are not on the build spec irrespective of their origin you are on your own.

The only hope you would have would be to prove that the original fitting was negligent or incorrect, best of luck with that after the time it will take for any damage to be apparent.

It’s your choice but why take the risk for very dubious benefits.
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

If a moulded mudflap does damage paint work underneath the mudflap how will you ever know Or see it when the mudflap is fitted ?

Similarly if a mudflap has been fitted from new by whoever and gets removed the paint colour will be different underneath due to not being exposed to the sunlight for many years