Polo GTI 1.8TSI DSG remap

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Katie elizabeth1
New
Drives: Polo GTI 1.8 TSI 2017

Polo GTI 1.8TSI DSG remap

Post by Katie elizabeth1 »

Hi,

I’m looking at remapping my polo later in the year to stage 1. It’s a GTI 1.8 6c (2017). I’ve heard of the issues with clutch from putting too much power through it but I’ve also been advised for stage 1 there’s not much point in upgrading stuff and only go bother if going stage 2/3. Just wanted an extra opinion.
Additionally I know how much issues some of the clutches and gearboxes have, although it’s horrifically expensive, is it possible to switch them with more reliable ones such as from the golfs? Or would this be an entire engine swap?
I’ve only owned my Polo for a few weeks now so just looking for some general advice on them
I
MJGTI
New
Drives: 6c GTI

Re: Polo GTI 1.8TSI DSG remap

Post by MJGTI »

Ive seen a guy put a golf dsg into his polo but it was about 5k
Gee40
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 6c GTI (manual), 1982 Mk1Golf GTI

Re: Polo GTI 1.8TSI DSG remap

Post by Gee40 »

Hi Katie

Being honest I'm not overly familiar with the DSG gearbox but am given to believe that the reason the 6c DSG GTI's have much less torque is simply because VW recognised that the DSG they used couldn't handle the 237 ft/lbs the manual GTI has. The DSG you have is a "dry" gearbox whereas the Golf has a wet gearbox and so can handle much more torque such as that on offer in the Golf R. I'm not surprised by the figure of £5k mentioned and don't know whether it could be done cheaper, but I would suggest it would be expensive and fraught with problems etc. ( not least the thought of a used DSG sends shivers through me )

If you have that kind of money spare you might be better off selling your 6c and buying the current 2.0 DSG as I gather this has the "full fat" DSG and can handle a lot more torque. ( Probably not what you wanted to hear ) I'm sure those much more familiar with the DSG can either confirm my thoughts or tell you I'm talking S*!t

Good luck