Wheels

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Sam1383
New
Drives: Mark 6

Wheels

Post by Sam1383 »

Hi everyone, I'm looking to replace my wheels with another set, currently I have the standard 14 inch wheels and I wanted to change them with a set of 17 inch wheels but the offset on the 17 inch wheels are 48 and currently mine are 35, the max i have seen is 46 mm. Does anyone know if I would be able to fit the new wheels in?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Wheels

Post by SRGTD »

What is the width of the 17” wheels? When considering potential fitment / clearance issues you always need to consider a wheel’s width in conjunction with the offset.

Also, if the 17” wheels you are considering are not OEM VW for the Polo (an offset of ET48 suggests they’re not) you need to ensure that the bolt pattern is 5x100 and the centre bore size is a minimum of 57.1 (if it’s larger than the Polo’s centre bore of 57.1, then a set of spigot rings need to be fitted to reduce it to 57.1).

The tyres VW fit to to Polos with 17” wheels (Blue GT and GTI) are 215/40 R17. These tyres aren’t a common size so they tend to be quite expensive relative to some other tyre sizes for 17” wheels, so don’t forget to factor in the cost of your new tyres. You’ll also need to inform your insurer of your wheel change as it’s a modification for insurance purposes.
Sam1383
New

Post by Sam1383 »

Hi,

Thanks for replying to my post :D , the new wheels are not OEM, the wheel markings are 7j x17 ET48. The bolt pattern is 5 x 100 however the centre bore is 56.1 mm is that going to be problematic? Regarding the insurance it will be okay as they are aware of other modifications too.

Thank you,
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

If the wheel’s centre bore is smaller than the centre bore on the car’s hub assembly, then the wheel won’t fit - you’d be trying to fit a 56.1mm diameter hole in the wheel over a 57.1mm diameter hub spigot on the car’s hub assembly. I think it might be possible to get an engineering shop with the correct equipment to increase the size of the centre bore in the wheel. However, I would personally look for an alternative set of wheels that would fit without having to make modifications to them - there’s a huge variety of aftermarket wheels available, so there’ll probably be a number of alternative wheels of a very similar design to those you’re considering that have a larger centre bore that won’t need to be machined to get them to fit.

As for fitment issues in general; there’s a useful calculator on www.willtheyfit.com that’ll calculate the critical differences (e.g. wheel poke and tuck, speedo reading errors) between your existing wheels / tyre set up and any new wheel / tyre combination you’re considering, so you can minimise the risk of tyre rubbing or fitment issues.
Sam1383
New

Post by Sam1383 »

Yes I figured it would be good to to go for an alternative set of wheels so I have cancelled my order. Thank you very much you helped a lot :D
Graham1701
New
Drives: GTi

Post by Graham1701 »

205/45-17s work ok👍. I have them fitted to my 6C GTI. Slightly larger rolling radius I think but work well. Speedo still accurate.