VCDS?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Re: VCDS?

Post by wolfie »

I'll have to mull it over some more.

I'm torn between just getting a cheapish (£100-150) scan tool that will read and clear DTC's and read live data. Which would probably do 90% of everything I need/want to do. Versus, hold tight, gather the funds and perhaps look at a new 10vin/unlimited VCDS. In the meantime keep an eye open for a genuine used. VCDS will do way more than I'd possibly ever need so is overkill really, I just like having it there should I need it. The downside is that VCDS in any guise is VAG only. A cheapo multi-tool that would be a jack of all trades, so to speak.

Nigh on every second hand unlimited VCDS is knocking on the door of £400. (which just feels too much for secondhand, unless it was single user, almost new)
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

Thought I'd re-visit this as I'm contemplating splashing out on an Obdeleven. As much as I'd like to pick up a VCDS they are just demand too much money for just occasional use. So think I'm going to bite the bullet on a Obdeleven.

So how good are they and what can you do. Anyone used one anger?
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

Slawa wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:37 pm Remind me one of these days, I will find out what can be done, and find out how much the package will cost. Before the war, a person sent me a block from the Netherlands via the Internet, back I sent 20 dollars. But this is a block of a jet hybrid battery.
I googled about Obdeleven, read their forum, I would never buy myself, a scam for money is their application.
I just had a quick "Google" and they are doing the Obdeleven Pro version for £85 which doesn't sound too bad. If you want to use their "easy use" apps, then it costs a number of credits. The pro version comes with 200.

Personally I'm old fashioned and think once you've bought something it should be yours to use as you-will for ever. But we now live in a world where they think up new ways to charge you for features and services every time you use a thing,
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

Cheapo elm 327 can datalog simple data
I tinnk you can use elm 327 Vgate v2.3 with carista, obd11 apps but im not 100% sure
V2.3 Shoud support UDS protocol and should support all protocols meaning in theory it could work with obd11, carista, carly. do a bit research
Launch etc...
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

The one excuse I can see or work out for the way that the pricing for use of Carista works is, for a DIYer, the basic fault reading is included without any more costs, so normally that would be okay for a DIYer, the coding in of new functions after a retrofit will cost extra money, but doing that would normally be a "once in a blue moon" of once in a car's ownership for a DIYer, the extra charging for resetting service/inspection warnings might get annoying every year for a DIYer.

Using up a "vin" on the latest version of VCDS does hurt a bit for a DIYer - especially as I could have avoided it on my car when I had difficulty resetting the service warnings AND could have used my Carista instead, though thinking positively, I was going to replace that car's battery so would probably have ended up needing to add it to my list of vehicles in VCDS and so use a vin!

The next annoying use of a vin was on my daughter's 2019 SEAT Leon Cupra, out of curiosity, I wanted to look at its battery stats and had forgotten how to find them, when confronted with a grayed out box which I thought that I needed to get access to, I stupidly added that car to my VCDS so used up another life - and that box was still greyed out probably as it was not used on that platform, so that forced me to be a bit more creative in finding where I could get access to the battery stats - my error. Though, once again, the EFB battery in that car will probably need replacing within the next year or so, so to code in that next battery I would need to add that car to my VCDS as I intend to get her to change her EFB to AGM for a better service life.

Any excuse works for me to relieve me of having made a mistake!
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

I guess the word 'intellectual property' doesn't translate well into Ukrainian :roll:
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

When you get more into stuff you can see how much VCDS is limited. - Like you can get something better that does more.
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

iichel wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:46 pm I guess the word 'intellectual property' doesn't translate well into Ukrainian :roll:
Why not Xhorse Iscancar vs VCDS?*
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

Slawa wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:11 pm
amer6R wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:46 pm When you get more into stuff you can see how much VCDS is limited. - Like you can get something better that does more.
Your words are directed only to fresh car buyers, I read them on your forum. There is not a single solution to the problem, a freeze frame, parameters, etc. Let's separately create a topic where we argue and find a middle ground. It is possible here too. but only for a specific car. But what I saw on https://forum.obdeleven.com/ is a shame of diagnostics.

I think obd11 is basically elm 327 v2.3 . If you ask me for the money it would be ok, but that gimic with credits i dont like at all.
For coding is good like the bling bling coding VIM- VCDS cant do, that coding for Mk7 head units with that online code generator.

But again If i had an option i rather choose VCP over VCDS
We dont need to justify VAS is very powerful tool, but the issue with clone tools is you never know when they are going die on you ( fake components inside- ok for rework) but If younare to use for coding, diagnostic 100% safe. Flashing could be risky but just look at Kess v2 clone its a beast and cheap, mpps, gellato etc.- But again you never know when some chip will die
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

Im not sure what you are tallking about.
I say Clone diagnostic tools are safe to use. - Not every clone is good.
Clone tools for flashing can be risky, you never know when the component will burn out mid process( low quality components, driver issues, crack- malware possibility)
VCP original rather than VCDS original - can flash vcds cant
OBD11- Elm327 v2.3 ( probbably)
OBD11 for bling bling coding, lights, video in motion etc.
VCDS for diagnosing issues, recording data, output tests, logs..

If a person has the budget support and buy original tool. - Easier to set up, support from manufacturer+ warranty .

If you are going to flash ecu, tcu for others original tool safer.

I dont want to promote any clone tools or talk about war i know Ukraine is under agression because this is not the forum for it.
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

amer6R wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:19 pm Cheapo elm 327 can datalog simple data
I tinnk you can use elm 327 Vgate v2.3 with carista, obd11 apps but im not 100% sure
V2.3 Shoud support UDS protocol and should support all protocols meaning in theory it could work with obd11, carista, carly. do a bit research
Launch etc...
There appear to be quite a few elm 327 devices that can be had very cheaply, most of which have old hardware so are not really up to much. I'm not sure what device the OBdeleven uses but would guess it the same or very close to what Carly, Carista & Autel use. All of those want some level of subscription for any automated apps. Some go for a annual subscription other something more akin to "pay as you go" Obdeleven feels like it has the edge for support, at least I could find a user forum, some of the others have very little. VCDS is way better on that front, probably because it been around for a very long time and to be honest that shows as the user interface looks very dated.
RUM4MO wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:38 pm The one excuse I can see or work out for the way that the pricing for use of Carista works is, for a DIYer, the basic fault reading is included without any more costs, so normally that would be okay for a DIYer, the coding in of new functions after a retrofit will cost extra money, but doing that would normally be a "once in a blue moon" of once in a car's ownership for a DIYer, the extra charging for resetting service/inspection warnings might get annoying every year for a DIYer.

Using up a "vin" on the latest version of VCDS does hurt a bit for a DIYer - especially as I could have avoided it on my car when I had difficulty resetting the service warnings AND could have used my Carista instead, though thinking positively, I was going to replace that car's battery so would probably have ended up needing to add it to my list of vehicles in VCDS and so use a vin!

The next annoying use of a vin was on my daughter's 2019 SEAT Leon Cupra, out of curiosity, I wanted to look at its battery stats and had forgotten how to find them, when confronted with a grayed out box which I thought that I needed to get access to, I stupidly added that car to my VCDS so used up another life - and that box was still greyed out probably as it was not used on that platform, so that forced me to be a bit more creative in finding where I could get access to the battery stats - my error. Though, once again, the EFB battery in that car will probably need replacing within the next year or so, so to code in that next battery I would need to add that car to my VCDS as I intend to get her to change her EFB to AGM for a better service life.

Any excuse works for me to relieve me of having made a mistake!
I'm old school and think once you've bought something it should be yours to use freely. Although a great tool VDCS feels over priced now £225 in the UK, for a 3 vin limited, £300 for 10. I doubt there's a DIYer in the country who hasn't got at least a couple of cars that would eat into the vin limit within a weekend. Following that it's another £160 to add additional vins. If price wasn't an issue I'd still go for VCDS, however as I just need something to look at sensor values and such it a large outlay for a plaything.

With the Bluetooth devices the main issue if finding one that has a decent app that lets you view the appropriate data. Some lean to the playstation generation, just too much and stick every bit of data in a fancy animated gauge of some sort rather than just giving you the live numbers.

All I really need is something to look at the MAP, MAF Lambda info and re-adapt my throttle body.
Last edited by wolfie on Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

VGate icar v2.3 + Car Scanner paid app Look into that
Launch
Autel Maxi Ap
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

amer6R wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:35 am VGate icar v2.3 + Car Scanner paid app Look into that
Launch
Autel Maxi Ap
Well I put in a couple of bids on a VCDS at the weekend and it eventually went for just too much for second-hand. So just went down the cheap route and ordered a VeePeak BLE for £30 odd quid and downloaded Car Scanner (Which actually looks pretty good, considering I've only just had a quick play) At that money I can just chuck it in the glovebox as a "just incase" diagnostic. I was going to go VGate, but Veepeak appeared to have better support.
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

Glad to hear it, you can explore with apps try carly, carista, some report they work.
Also there are programs for laptop.

Carscanner paid app is cheap, and it might offer even some coding options etc..
Hey any tool is better than no tool, and you can leave it in glovbox and use when ever you need.
EdSilmon
New

Post by EdSilmon »

Carly supposedly does coding now. I don't see what benefit VCDS has over carly now...