2013 Bluemotion Polo Muffler "Outer" Rusted Off

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
eosis
New
Drives: 2013 Bluemotion

2013 Bluemotion Polo Muffler "Outer" Rusted Off

Post by eosis »

Hi all,

I have a 2013 Polo which lost the "Outer" shell of the muffler (see the image of the offending bit of rust).

I am concerned that this may lead the muffler reaching higher temperatures and potentially causing issues with MPG, particularly since there is no heat shield between the fuel tank and the muffler.

Has anyone else had this outer shell come away from the muffler? Is it something that you would typically get fixed?

iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: 2013 Bluemotion Polo Muffler "Outer" Rusted Off

Post by iichel »

Yes, it's nothing to worry about. als long as it's not leaking, you'll be perfectly fine
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

Normal for VW, easy patch fix for any exhaust shop. Its multi layered. Its not just one layer.
SimonPoole
Getting There!

Post by SimonPoole »

Ours half rusted off and I clamped it back on with some really long Jubilee clips. As others have said, it's just an outer skin so nothing to worry about.

My Mum's 2004 Fabia exhaust went like this too and I did the same with the Jubilee clips. It's still going on it's original exhaust and has no leaks.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I bought one of these long Jubilee clips from Halfords for my wife's last Polo, a 2002 car, that kept the rusting outer from becoming dangerous for maybe 4 MOTs, the 4 years of its life with us at 13 years old. I also used that on my daughter's last car a late 2009 Ibiza for the last 2 years of its life with her at 10 years old.

Edit:- if it is rusting ll along its length then use 2 of these clips, I cut the excess off and rolled the end so that it didn't create a hazard for mechanics or MOT tester!