Caliper Rattle Front

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
craig_fraser
New
Drives: 1.2 Match

Caliper Rattle Front

Post by craig_fraser »

Hi,

I have searched and have found numerous posts on the topic of caliper rattle. I recently replaced my front brake discs and pads on my polo (2016), I noticed there were no anti-rattle parts on the caliper or on the pads. When going over bumps you can hear the front brakes rattling, going over bumps with the brakes on they're quiet. There is slight play in the caliper on it's mount when applying force with my hand and it makes the same kind of clank so I am assuming it's that. I'm pretty careful so I am confident parts installed are tightly on, but I will be re-checking tomorrow just in case.

Is there an anti-rattle spring I can fit to these to shut them up (there is no obvious mounting for them on the caliper), or do I need to remove the pads and bend up the backing springs on the pads a bit more to shut them up? Any thoughts / suggestions would be welcomed. If I can get a spring I can pop on without removing everything that would be nice!

Vehicle is a 1.2 Match, 2016.

Thanks

Craig
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Re: Caliper Rattle Front

Post by amer6R »

Rear callipers?
craig_fraser
New

Post by craig_fraser »

Front callipers…
craig_fraser
New

Post by craig_fraser »

More information that might be useful, they are not OEM pads, but brembo. Checking against OEM they’re identical so I am not sure it’s a fitment issue, but again any advice would be helpful.
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

Since when pads have springs? And how can you rattle the calliper when it under pressure ( meaning you have pressed the brake several times)
craig_fraser
New

Post by craig_fraser »

They don’t have springs, some do though but not these, I’m referring to the metal clips on the back of the pad used for mounting.

When the vehicle is parked there is a tiny bit of play in both callipers. When driving you’ll hear then rattle over bumps. If I am braking while going over bumps they are silent. I’m trying to get advice on how to troubleshoot / handle the problem.

To be clear braking works normally.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I had a similar issue with the front brakes on my previous car when it was new (2016 Polo GTI). Front brakes used to make a clunking noise - usually when braking after reversing. The noise was attributed to free movement of the pads in the calipers. Other GTI owners experienced it too. Can’t say I noticed any brake component-related noises when driving over bumps though.

The clunking noise stopped after a few months of ownership and never re-occurred again.
craig_fraser
New

Post by craig_fraser »

This is definitely only going over bumps, I’m going to check the carrier pins for tightness later to ensure they’re secure. But I’m usually pretty careful with this stuff.

As before I suspect this would easily be fixed by an anti rattle spring but there isn’t one on this calliper.
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

Those.plates, or in some pads special fabric isnt used for anti rattle, its used for anti squealing. You can add a light coat of ceramic or copper paste to the metal part of the pad that faces toward the piston.
Guide pins should be torqued to 30 nm. You should be really ablr to wiggle the caliper while its in its normal position.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

The anti rattle function comes from the rubber bushes that the guide pins/bolts pass through.

I always check that any new or even older pads being put back on are quite a "snug" fit within the calliper carrier - which in your car is part of the hub carrier.

Make sure that the threaded holes in the hub carrier have not stripped out due to bad handling in the past.

I agree that when things have been newly cleaned up, you should be able to wiggle the calliper by grabbing it - it just proves that the guide pins are free to move through the rubber bushes - but these pins should be a slight interference fit in the rubber bushes.