Need to raise my 1.2TSI as much as possible

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
SJDR
New
Drives: 1.2TSI

Need to raise my 1.2TSI as much as possible

Post by SJDR »

I'm in Australia and recently picked up a cheap 2011 1.2TSI for myself and my daughter to compete in Motorkhana/Khanacross (racing around a field for those not familiar).

My Polo apparently had the Sports Pack fitted from new (lowered suspension, front fogs and 17" rims) but it's currently running 195/55/15 tyres on standard alloys.

The problem is that it is too low at the front to be be racing around a dirt track and it's a matter of time before we destroy something expensive so I need to get it up a bit higher. The tyres also scrubbed on the last event under very hard cornering (not too sure where the contact was exactly though)

The current ride height is 335mm front and 365mm rear (centre of rim to wheel arch)

The PR codes on the sticker are:
G09 = Front shock absorption
L38 = Suspension range 38 installation control only, no requirement forecast

The front coils have 3 blue and 3 white paint marks which seems to be for PR-G12+L46, so doesn't match my PR codes.
I don't know if the Sports Pack is dealer fitted or from the factory, or why the PR codes for these springs don't match my car.

I'm hoping that it is fitted with sport suspension which is apparently 15mm lower than standard.

Can anyone confirm the ride height with standard suspension?
Or does anyone know if 3 blue/3 white springs are lower than standard?

I'm hoping I can replace the springs with something a little taller (possibly even slip a 10mm packer under the spring if it's a flat seat even though this isn't ideal).
Sadly it isn't possible to add strut mount spacers to this model.

If I can get another 20mm in the front I may be able to run a taller tyre, so I might be able to get it 35 - 40mm higher than it is now.

Any advice/suggestions or ways to raise it would be awesome.

Thanks!
Screenshot_20210509-163754_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210509-163754_Gallery.jpg (169.13 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Re: Need to raise my 1.2TSI as much as possible

Post by amer6R »

Use setup from polo cross?
Add a metall belly pan that is reinforced with rebar. And piece of styrofoam under the sump to rocks cant collect.
SJDR
New

Post by SJDR »

amer6R wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:31 am Use setup from polo cross?
Add a metall belly pan that is reinforced with rebar. And piece of styrofoam under the sump to rocks cant collect.
I did wonder about the cross suspension. I think it's 15mm higher than standard?
Do you know if it bolts straight up? I assume I'd need springs and shocks?

I've tried to source a sump guard from sump-guards.com but they won't ship to Australia.
I'll try and get one custom made locally.
ValleyForge
New
Drives: 9N3 GTI

Post by ValleyForge »

Any luck with the sump guard?
We're looking for one for a 9N3 GTI and I can't seem to find anyone who will do it in AU.
SJDR
New

Post by SJDR »

ValleyForge wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:47 am Any luck with the sump guard?
We're looking for one for a 9N3 GTI and I can't seem to find anyone who will do it in AU.
No - they won't ship to Aus. Polo's aren't sold in the US, so no luck from there either.
I got the dimensions as I was going to get it shipped to family in the UK and then forwarded but it would cost too much.

Ended up making my own from 2mm steel sheet. It also covers the steering pump thing in front of the lhs wheel too.
It's not quite finished yet, just needs a little trimming and some brackets to drop down from the chassis rails.

The downside is it is heavy, so I really need to replace the springs now.
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

Use springs from diesel to compensate for extra weight.
There is a metal ( steel bracket) beam, under the beam there is a guard like for intercooler you you can extend from it a little bracket from it for the metal sump guard.

If you have a welder i would add a bit more welds where it connects to the main beam

The bottom part of the beam is what you are aiming for and its held by two bolts.

I dont see a reason why VW would alter anything on cross except struts and springs. They just slap stuff on their cars and share between models.

I dont know how your back feels, I dont like the stock setup on tarmac the back feels like it will tank slap you/ like its going to twist and top over in the back on sharp and speedy corners. Im not.sure if you can feel this on dirty roads because of sliding, but rear anti roll bar would help. It doesnt feel planted and reassuring at all.
On lowering springs its much more confident.

I think its possible to fit 195/65/15 with mm to spare. I saw people doing it on Polo Sedan model.
185/60/15 will fit for sure with no problems.
"Saw" someone fit a 235 40 17 in UK with little rubbing issues. At least he said its 235 wide tire.

Would love to hear more about your car I love reading about "rally" set up-ed cars.
SJDR
New

Post by SJDR »

amer6R wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:26 am Use springs from diesel to compensate for extra weight.
Looking at the Sachs catalogue, the Polo 1.2 Cross spring is the same part # as the standard diesel spring (the cross diesel uses a stiffer spring still)
Sadly, aftermarket springs are not available in Aus for the 6R polo, genuine only. Looks like I'll try a couple of wreckers for some diesel springs.

Interestingly, the same shock absorber seems to be used on all diesel and 1.2 variants, including cross, sport and standard models so I may be able to get away with the existing struts.
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

No, use springs from 1.6 tdi.
And how come you cant buy new springs, if you can buy the car in your country, and parts in the parts store ( not VW) you can get sasch springs they are pretty cheap. 30$ for a one spring. Often new csn be cheaper than use
Keep your own struts they will work.
SJDR
New

Post by SJDR »

amer6R wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:13 am No, use springs from 1.6 tdi.
And how come you cant buy new springs, if you can buy the car in your country, and parts in the parts store ( not VW) you can get sasch springs they are pretty cheap. 30$ for a one spring. Often new csn be cheaper than use

No-one here sells springs for the polo - have to be genuine. I rang all the main parts joints and suspension places.
Sachs springs are not sold here (shocks are, not springs though)

The 1.6tdi springs are the ones I'm trying to find (same part # as the 1.2TSI cross springs)
SJDR
New

Post by SJDR »

amer6R wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:13 am No, use springs from 1.6 tdi.

No-one here sells springs for the polo - have to be genuine. I rang all the main parts joints and suspension places.
Sachs springs are not sold here (shocks are, not springs though)

The 1.6tdi springs are the ones I'm trying to find (same part # as the 1.2TSI cross springs)
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

Well that sucks, any brand would do.