Evaporator Temperature Sensor

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
gabet502
New
Drives: 2016 1.0 MPI

Evaporator Temperature Sensor

Post by gabet502 »

Hi all,

anyone had any experience removing the evaporator temperature sensor? I believe its the G308 sensor.

I have read online its on the steering wheel side far back and that I would have to remove the entire dash.

Is this true? surely there's an easier way...
thanks in advnace
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Evaporator Temperature Sensor

Post by RUM4MO »

Have you checked up on the existing online guides for doing that on earlier Fabia/Polo/Ibiza to see if you can translate the method to your newer Polo?

I'd ceratinly be doing/trying that before committing to a "dash out" job, I think that it is a horrible job to do so I'd be removing the front seat to make life a bit easier, it is a very long time since I bumped into that task being detailed online for the DIYer.
gabet502
New

Post by gabet502 »

RUM4MO wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:00 pm Have you checked up on the existing online guides for doing that on earlier Fabia/Polo/Ibiza to see if you can translate the method to your newer Polo?

I'd ceratinly be doing/trying that before committing to a "dash out" job, I think that it is a horrible job to do so I'd be removing the front seat to make life a bit easier, it is a very long time since I bumped into that task being detailed online for the DIYer.
I reckon I could get to where I believe it is, but to do so I would need to remove the lower plastic panel jsut above the pedals. it looks like it should come away but I cant for the life of me figure out how to do so. Any advice?
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

I believe that is all part of the dash board structure hence why dash removal is required from memory the only major part you can easily remove is the glove box which doesn’t really help you as it’s the wrong side.

You would be trying to access the heater box which is the first piece to go in typically.
What is you issue with this sensor?
gabet502
New

Post by gabet502 »

I'm pretty certain it's dying. Get this annoying issue where I'll only have airflow for 15-30 mins of a drive. Looking around and it seems that the sensor has died which results in the evaporator getting too cold, icing up and blocking the airflow
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

It would be useful for you to check what the system thinks the evaporator temperature is, but you would need VCDS or even VCDS Lite, for many reasons as well as not having reached the correct diagnosis, I'd be gutted if I ended up taking that area to bits for the wrong reason.

Another maybe not common issue with chillers is the TEV failing, I think all these newer chiller systems have a TEV and not an fixed orifice to control the fridge "gas" flow, or even moisture in the system that ends up beading and temporarily blocking the fridge gas flow at a restriction, which will normally be the TEV or fixed orifice.

A set of fridge gauges would also help you work out what/where the issue was - along with evaporator temperature data and compressor load/duty data from VCDS or similar.