Car won't go into gear when engine is on

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
JH26
New
Drives: 2011 Polo 6R 1.4L

Car won't go into gear when engine is on

Post by JH26 »

Hi, as title shows my car suddenly won't go into gear when the engine is on and the only way to change gears is to really force it or to turn the car off. However if I put it into first and then turn the car on it tries to pull away. (2011 Polo 6r 1.4). Any help is greatly appreciated.
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Re: Car won't go into gear when engine is on

Post by amer6R »

Something is wrong with your clutch system.
I think your main clutch cylinder has a massive air pocket or it completely failed. It's not hard to replace.
JH26
New

Post by JH26 »

How would I go about replacing that? Is it a job I can do or is it a safer bet to get a mechanic to do it for me? I got in the car this morning and turned the engine on and the gears were completely fine again, only sat in the car for a few minutes as I didn't want to risk taking it for a drive.
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

You can bleed it your self, just make sure that DOT 4 ( brake fluid is topped) the nipple for clutch is on top of the transmission( remove the air filter box).

If you asked this question, I would leave the change of master cylinder for the mechanic. But first bleed it, it's cheap and could solve your problem.
JH26
New

Post by JH26 »

Ok will do, thanks so much for your help. Took it for a good 20 minute drive today and it was completely fine.