6R Air Conditioning Retrofit

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Dishwasher
New
Drives: 2010 6R S

6R Air Conditioning Retrofit

Post by Dishwasher »

Hi all,

Wondering if any of you have retrofitted air conditioning to a Polo that didn't come with it originally? I have a base spec Polo 6R S and it's awful in this heat.

Is it as easy as buying used components, a new belt and some VCDS coding?

TIA

-Dishwasher
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: 6R Air Conditioning Retrofit

Post by RUM4MO »

As usual anything is possible, but at a price!

This upgrade would be very expensive in good used parts and take quite a lot of time to alter and create new cable work.
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

the heater housing might also need an evaporator, and you need to change the heater controls. and perhaps the fan control relay as well.
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

I’m reality it would be cheaper and much less hassle to sell your car and buy one with air conditioning.

Although given time and money virtually any modification is possible sometimes you have to put your arms up in the air and say no.

If you do decide to go ahead I wish you every success, it won’t be easy but if it works you will have every right to be well chuffed and extremely proud.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Ricmondo wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:23 pm I’m reality it would be cheaper and much less hassle to sell your car and buy one with air conditioning.

Although given time and money virtually any modification is possible sometimes you have to put your arms up in the air and say no.

If you do decide to go ahead I wish you every success, it won’t be easy but if it works you will have every right to be well chuffed and extremely proud.
100% agree. If the OP retro-fits air con to their existing car, the cost of doing so would be money lost; the car would still be a 2010 Polo S, so when the time comes to sell it; it’s unlikely it’ll be worth much more - if any - than a comparable 2010 Polo S without air con.

Respect and admiration to the OP if they do go ahead and do this though.
Bobupndown
New
Drives: None

Post by Bobupndown »

Or do what we used to do before cars had ac, open the window!
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

i cut a hole in the roof of my karmann ghia, that makes a nice ventilation.
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

If you can do the install on your own, and source the parts cheap try it. But you will be without the car for days or weeks.
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

No need to cut a hole Lichel, with a Karman Ghia if you wait long enough rust will do the job for you!
Damon
New
Drives: 2010 Polo Moda 64

Post by Damon »

Pretty sure its more hassle than its likely worth, from time and money perspective, when I did some brief research some time back.

Curious as I've got a 2010 Moda 60 with only the fresh air blower and no air conditioning.
Think its awful that VW were selling cars in 2010 that didnt come with it as standard, I know Moda was like the baseline model but sheesh.
I believe it was an additional extra as there are some Modas i've seen online that do have AC.

Although I didn't pick the car out.
Had I realized I definitely wouldnt have got the Moda model, no A/C and the lack of power definitely the main things I dislike.

Cars been roasting past week or so in this UK Sun.
Still working out the best way to keep it moderately cool inside.
As the blowers just taking in the hot air outside and putting it into the cabin, its fine when its cool outside but when its scorching ugh.

Saw someone recommend utilizing recirculation mode after letting all the hot air out by leaving windows down for the first few minutes and pulling them up and turning on recirc.