Cam Belt

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Casbantam
Getting There!
Drives: 1.2 TSI Match

Cam Belt

Post by Casbantam »

Apologies,

I know this has probably been asked before but I cannot see definitive clarity and have read both yes and no to this question.

Does my car have a cam belt and if so should I change it?

It is a 2016 1.2 TSI 29k.

I should probably just ask my Indy VW garage but thought someone on here would probably know. Was just reading a What Car article that said all models except 1.2 has a belt?

Cheers
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Cam Belt

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes your 2016 Polo 1.2TSI does have a cam belt, it is listed as a long life type of belt I think, the official workshop manual does not include a replacement point in miles or age, what it does do is recommend that in normal market areas that after so many years, the belt is examined over its entire length by removing the top belt cover and repeat that every year after a certain age - replacing only if there is witnessed any belt damage.

Now, my wife's Polo 1.2TSI is a 2015 car and currently at 34,000 miles, I intend to get that belt replaced at maybe the 8 year point in its life as I can't see us keeping that car for much more than 12 or 13 years from new.

If you ask your main dealer, they will confirm I think, that the belt must be changed at the 5 years point, that advice will be backed up by VW UK, as it is good for for workshop revenue.

Originally VW Group engine cam belts were recommended to be replaced at 4 years or X miles, then after a cam drive design change 5 years or Y miles - and so VW UK have held onto that later change time/miles. VW Group elsewhere seem to stick with what the official workshop manual recommends for the type of running conditions we see in Europe.
Casbantam
Getting There!
Drives: 1.2 TSI Match

Re: Cam Belt

Post by Casbantam »

Many thanks for that reply RUM4MO, very informative.

I take to a VW indy so will ask them to check at next service in Nov

Cheers