Head unit replacement

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Gertlush
New
Drives: 2014 1.2 SE Bluemotion

Head unit replacement

Post by Gertlush »

I’m reaching out once again to fellow forum members regarding a replacement infotainment unit.
I believe I have model number RCD 510 currently installed, it’s a 2014 1.2 Bluemotion with 6c engine.
What my question is this,,,is there a replacement for this unit that is 100% guaranteed to work, just by removing the old one and replacing it with new?
Also if anyone has bought a replacement can you recommend a seller.
Many thanks
John
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Re: Head unit replacement

Post by Dink »

if it's a 6c spec polo you will have the newer infotainment setup (discovery media) which is a lot different to the older 6r units

the brains of everything is in the glovebox. this can be changed fairly easily but will require Component protection to be removed and all the FeCs to be re-enabled to get all your functions back.

i'd recommend that you don't downgrade to an older setup as you will probably lose functions you require
Gertlush
New

Post by Gertlush »

Dink wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:00 pm if it's a 6c spec polo you will have the newer infotainment setup (discovery media) which is a lot different to the older 6r units

the brains of everything is in the glovebox. this can be changed fairly easily but will require Component protection to be removed and all the FeCs to be re-enabled to get all your functions back.

i'd recommend that you don't downgrade to an older setup as you will probably lose functions you require
Thanks for the reply Dink,,it would appear to be potentially more involved than I assumed.
Silver Member
Drives: Cross Polo 1.2TSI 2017

Post by 2226 »

Dink wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:00 pm if it's a 6c spec polo you will have the newer infotainment setup (discovery media) which is a lot different to the older 6r units

I have a 2016/2017 6C and this thing only has the Composition Colour installed.
No brains behind the glovebox.
Just to change the headunit involves finding ways to get the tyre pressure and ESP settings moved to physical buttons as they're integrated into the headunit.
Over-done integration like this is just annoying.
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

2226 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:46 am I have a 2016/2017 6C and this thing only has the Composition Colour installed.
No brains behind the glovebox.
Just to change the headunit involves finding ways to get the tyre pressure and ESP settings moved to physical buttons as they're integrated into the headunit.
Over-done integration like this is just annoying.
think the minimum spec alters depending on what country you are in. The minimum was composition Media (not discover like i previously said) with a 6.5" screen in the uk i believe
Gertlush
New

Post by Gertlush »

I don’t know if the problem I’m having with the infotainment system is linked to this but I’m finding that sometimes the start/stop system isn’t working, also the dashboard dials (tachometer and speedometer) is not illuminated, then other times it is,,,anyone any thoughts on whether this can be linked?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Gertlush wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:26 pm I don’t know if the problem I’m having with the infotainment system is linked to this but I’m finding that sometimes the start/stop system isn’t working, also the dashboard dials (tachometer and speedometer) is not illuminated, then other times it is,,,anyone any thoughts on whether this can be linked?
IMO they’re not linked to your infotainment system.

I don’t think the problem you’re experiencing with stop start is actually a problem. If certain criteria isn’t met then stop start won’t operate - e.g. Engine not up to temp, battery not yet charged following starting engine, aircon is running (there may be other criteria).

As for your instruments not being illuminated. The instrumentation illumination is designed to dim down when daylight is fading or in dull lighting conditions to prompt you to turn your lights on so you can be seen by other road users. Once you switch your lights on, you’ll be able to see your instrumentation dials.
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

Gertlush wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:26 pm I don’t know if the problem I’m having with the infotainment system is linked to this but I’m finding that sometimes the start/stop system isn’t working, also the dashboard dials (tachometer and speedometer) is not illuminated, then other times it is,,,anyone any thoughts on whether this can be linked?
Have you ever had the infotainment 5F software updated ? You posted a while back about it freezing etc ?
As for the instrument cluster as SRGTD said it gets brighter in direct sunlight and dims in poor light,to prompt you to turn the vehicle lights on .are you saying it doesn’t light up with the switch in the dipped position ?
Gertlush
New

Post by Gertlush »

CarbonChaos wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:03 pm
Have you ever had the infotainment 5F software updated ? You posted a while back about it freezing etc ?
As for the instrument cluster as SRGTD said it gets brighter in direct sunlight and dims in poor light,to prompt you to turn the vehicle lights on .are you saying it doesn’t light up with the switch in the dipped position ?
First of all thanks for everyone’s input.
I went to an independent for software update who assured me that if one was available they would be able to do it.
I was told that there was not one available, so problem still exists, it’s very intermittent though,regarding the other problems, there is definitely an issue with the stop/start, when car has been running for some time I can’t deactivate it via the button, I understand that in certain circumstances it won’t operate due to engine not being up to temperature or aircon being on.
The instruments lights I will monitor.
Another thing I didn’t mention originally is that the menu cannot be accessed via the steering wheel buttons, it’s stuck on the one that gives current speed and mpg and other, if I try to access another menu by the left or right button,,,,nothing.
Whilst these things are minor I just want it sorted as it’s frustrating.
Thanks for taking time to read this and looking forward for any suggestions,,,maybe at the end of the day if I want it sorted out 100% I may have to visit the stealers.