6n Common Faults

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
LAN's GTI
Bronze Member

Post by LAN's GTI »

Somethings I just thought of from my old car: Water pump seized at 40K and took cambelt with it! Also, windscreen cracked right across the bottom for no apparent reason. Oh yeah, and i went through about 3 sets of front discs (std) before I uprated them because they kept warping.
carmadaaron
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by carmadaaron »

engine cutting out when braking at lights etc...at around 55000miles. :evil:
throttle body i think was cleaned and its gone ever since. :roll:
veedub 131
New

not to make u worry but....

Post by veedub 131 »

watch out for cracked exhaust manifolds & leaky head gaskets aswell
reuben
New

Post by reuben »

hi,
ive just got hold of a 1999 (R) polo 1.4 cl,its got a few bits that need sorting on it and after reading all these problems its scared me im gunna have alot more! the central locking does not work at all,previous owner said it just whurrs and whines and does nothing so its disconnected now and u have to lock it all by hand,anyone got any ideas bout what could be wrong with it? and also the engine cuts out sometimes whenon idle,no matter if hot or cold it just sometimes (rarely) cuts out and has to be started again.this to do with the throttle bodies or this just an idle problem and if i take the car to my local VW dealer they going to be able to help me with both these things? thanks alot for any help.
Reuben
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Rueben,

I just replied in your own thread.
89Rallye
New

Post by 89Rallye »

Throttle body is a current (and annoying not to mention expensive) fault on mine, have been running the car past few weeks with it pretty much stuck at 2000rpm. It all started when it was cutting out and spluttering when braking, I cleaned the TB and made it worse :( (although it certainly doesnt cut out anymore)

Any suggestions on this one most welcome. My sister had the same fault on her Polo and this was cured by a garage who changed the TB and reset the ECU.

Anyone know how much a TB is likely to cost? I have heard there £160 ish?? but that was from an independant garage.

Also passenger side window has started to act up in the last month.

Oh and a really annoying one was my girlfriend getting the key stuck in the drivers door lock because the gubbins at the back of the barrel and all collapsed. I ended up stripping the lock in Sainsburys carpark to get the key out.
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

89Rallye wrote:Throttle body is a current (and annoying not to mention expensive) fault on mine, have been running the car past few weeks with it pretty much stuck at 2000rpm. It all started when it was cutting out and spluttering when braking, I cleaned the TB and made it worse :( (although it certainly doesnt cut out anymore)

Any suggestions on this one most welcome. My sister had the same fault on her Polo and this was cured by a garage who changed the TB and reset the ECU.

Anyone know how much a TB is likely to cost? I have heard there £160 ish?? but that was from an independant garage.

Also passenger side window has started to act up in the last month.

Oh and a really annoying one was my girlfriend getting the key stuck in the drivers door lock because the gubbins at the back of the barrel and all collapsed. I ended up stripping the lock in Sainsburys carpark to get the key out.
I'm willing to bet my Euro's it's not the TB. Replace the temp sender on the thermostat housing and you'll be fine in most cases. The sender costs around 20 pounds, installation is a 5 minute effort.
89Rallye
New

Post by 89Rallye »

I'm willing to bet my Euro's it's not the TB. Replace the temp sender on the thermostat housing and you'll be fine in most cases. The sender costs around 20 pounds, installation is a 5 minute effort.

Yeah thanks, I have just been reading the other post all about this defo worth trying the £20 part before a new TB.

I think this was dicussed but I couldnt find the outcome, are the part numbers are all the same for the 16V, 8V etc.
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

The part numbers are more or less the same, what engine code do you have?

Here's what you're looking for under the bonnet:

(number 7)
89Rallye
New

Post by 89Rallye »

My engine codes APQ, cars an 98 S reg 1.4 CL.

So I take it from the ETKA page that the sensor I require is (7) b 059 919 501 ??

I was actually looking at the temp sensors cause I know there also a common fault on the G60s, and hopefully they may even be the same part (cause I have some spare G60 ones 8) )
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

89Rallye wrote:My engine codes APQ, cars an 98 S reg 1.4 CL.

So I take it from the ETKA page that the sensor I require is (7) b 059 919 501 ??

I was actually looking at the temp sensors cause I know there also a common fault on the G60s, and hopefully they may even be the same part (cause I have some spare G60 ones 8) )
Yeah that's the one I'd try, (7). You can see if the sensor is the same part number, you may be lucky!
cruisin_chris
Getting There!

Post by cruisin_chris »

find this very interesting, though not expert in german, lol, im getting a code 1N02 displaying when going to start the polo, 1.4cl '95! any help? :?
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

cruisin_chris wrote:find this very interesting, though not expert in german, lol, im getting a code 1N02 displaying when going to start the polo, 1.4cl '95! any help? :?
Service due :lol:

I had same problem when I bought mine and the previous owner had allowed the battery to run flat

Try this

http://www.tigerstyle.co.uk/poloforum/v ... php?t=6328
cruisin_chris
Getting There!

Post by cruisin_chris »

car is always serviced regularly, as we car fanatics, lol. battery is fine also, any ideas? :?
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

cruisin_chris wrote:car is always serviced regularly, as we car fanatics, lol. battery is fine also, any ideas? :?
Yeah same one as I already posted :lol: - you need to re-set your service light maybe someone didn't do it last time it was serviced :roll: