Power windows died on your Mk4? Read here.

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
joannavwdiva
New

Post by joannavwdiva »

I had the very same problem on the passenger side. I took the door panel off etc etc and the actual clip that holds the glass in place whilst in motion had come off, so if you can imagine, one side is working and the others not, its making the window go up at a slight tilt making it slower and sound slightly painful, i just clipped it back on and all is fine.....just dont slam my door so hard :P
randomage
Silver Member

Post by randomage »

my drivers window has a slightly buggered clip, so the window gradually coems loose, and it gets slower and slower and every couple of weeks it stops. ive just taken to carrying a screwdriver with me, and whipping the card off and clipping it back in every now and then. done it so often now that it only takes about 5 minutes!!!!
Rupie
Bronze Member

Post by Rupie »

I had the very same problem on the passenger side. I took the door panel off etc etc and the actual clip that holds the glass in place whilst in motion had come off, so if you can imagine, one side is working and the others not, its making the window go up at a slight tilt making it slower and sound slightly painful, i just clipped it back on and all is fine.....just dont slam my door so hard
That was exactly what ws wrong with mine, was going to do a guide when i fixed mine but never got round to it. :lol:
my clip had half sheared off, so i just araldited the plastic clip into the metal hole. works a treat and seems to have fully solved the problem :D
solidsponge
Bronze Member

Re: Power windows died on your Mk4? Read here.

Post by solidsponge »

I totally rebuilt my front drivers electric window and Im proud of doing so!

Its not that hard, just takes a lot of thinking and determination! I bought the entire frame for about £68 and took off the old frame, put the new one on, took the window out mind you. I used the haynes manual, although you dont need it really as long as you can understand how it works you can put it on and hope for the best.

Thought id already said I did it, but cant see post.

Anyone thinking of doing it, its not that difficult to do, took me a few hours.
luch-polo1.4
New

Post by luch-polo1.4 »

I had the same problem with my polo today. it was getting slopw over last few days n today packed up took 3 attempts . will repair kit help me?
stevopolo
New

Post by stevopolo »

my left window died on me so i thought i would replace the regulator.i went to a scrap yard to get two used ones from him, he tried to charge me £300 including the vat, i thought it was a bit steep so i tried a local auto factors and i was pleasantly suprsied at the price, it was a Magnetti Marelli unit and it cost me a total of £67. Not a bad saving considering the 2nd hand units would of cost me 300 sheets!!! Quick tip people,dont always assume vehicle breakers and scrap yards are cheaper than buying brand new!!!

stevo
flex
New

Post by flex »

Hay all i do no another whaey to fix the windows if eney one needs to no mine was pasinger side and was stuck up you can get to the moter with the window up sorry for the spelling
splitstar
New

Post by splitstar »

yep uv'd guessed it, my electric windows have stoped working...well they work a bit then stop so i tried lubbing it all up which made no difference so im guessing i need the part which is mentioned at the start of the thread. im just wondering where i can get them from, is there any where local in warrington or do i have to order them? and where from and how much?

many thnx
Ben17
New

Post by Ben17 »

Reading through this entire thread has helped me figure out why my damn passenger window keeps thinking its home is at the bottom of my bloody door.
Stupid clips. :roll:
Ben17
New

Re:

Post by Ben17 »

SteveB wrote:To both tomadomeit & polo gangsta, it sounds like the problem that the repair kit should fix. Basically you're going to have to remove the motor to find out more info.

So to remove the motor and mechanism you will want to remove the glass also [I'm not sure how else it can be done], normally this isn't a hard job but without being able to drop the window down to unclamp it you may have some problems.

I'll show how I removed my glass and motor then hopefully you can work from that. This is all from memory so forgive me if I forget a bit. Right remove doorcard and inner liner thingy [haynes manual tells you how to do this]. Then you should see something like this:

There's a black runner for front and back of the window [right and left in the pic] with gold coloured screws. Each runner has a rubber lined metal clamp which holds the glass in place. Both these need undoing to remove the glass, I lowered my window to get it in a position where I could easily undo the 10mm bolt with a socket. You guys might have to try to get an open ended or ratchet spanner up there.

The clamp:

Once the clamps are loose, I just pulled the glass up rear end first and out it comes. The rubber can stick to the glass a bit so give it a wiggle. For you guys I think you'll need to have somebody hold the glass whilst you undo and remove the runners [4 gold coloured bolts]. Once you've pulled the runners down out of the way the glass should come out the same as mine did. Put if somewhere safe!

After that to remove the motor/mechanism its just a couple more bolts, a plastic clip and some manouvering to get it all out. Maybe a wire connector to unclip if you haven't already but you'll soon see.

I hope that helps and you can work out which part isn't working correctly from that. Mine didn't need the repair kit so apart from this thread I can't help anymore on that one, but I'm sure somebody else can.

The problem I and some others had with the windows was basically they worked very slowly and sometimes stopped when going up. This was caused by too much friction from the window twisting from being only attatched to one of the runners. The clamps are attatched to the runners with sh**y plastic clips which must brake on every Polo eventually.

This is where the plastic/nylon clip has broken off:

And how the clamp goes on [thumb pic too :)]:

One side of the clip is still there on this one, but I decided to check all 4 on my car. All were broken on at least one side therefore not providing a very safe/secure window. To make sure the clamp didn't drop off of the runner again [I was on Dartmoor when it happened to me :(], I used a hand drill to make an about 1.5-2mm hole through the plastic 'block'. Don't go too big or it'll just fall to bits. Also don't drill through the seem as this will weaken it more. Next I used some stiff wire to fabricate a split pin to stop the clamp from slipping off. I'd advise putting some sort of rubber between the clamp and pin because mine rattles quite a lot. Next time I need to take the door to bits I'll have a go at mine.

I didn't get an after pic but I hope you get the idea.

Steve :D

Very helpful post. :D This is what I've done.
ImageImage