1.4 CL Match (1999)

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
xeres
New

1.4 CL Match (1999)

Post by xeres »

Big warm hello to all you enthusiasts out there, I'm new to the forum and new to my Polo.

Just bought the Polo 1.4 CL Match with a little over 31k on the clock as my first car. Specifically hunted down a good example of this car in the 1.4 due to its fantastic reliability and workmanship that has gone into its construction. A well viewed and respected bit of kit at a bargainous price. This is my first foray into the world of 4 wheels, I have done most of my driving on 2 wheels on a range of sports bikes over the past 4 years but job has now forced my hand. Either way, I'm pleased with my little Polo but she needs a little TLC which I hope you guys could help me out with.

Either way, I have a few things I would like to sort with it. Its running well and everything works albeit a few niggles. Its clearly been little used and needs a full major service (cambelt etc) I think this is the 60k one if anyone could confirm? I do not have the log book so would someone be kind enough to tell me what this service would include?
Previous MOTs show the car to only have been pulling 2k a year on the odometer. At low revs, the engine sounds a little choppy and bogged down unless you push the acelerator a tad an slightly overrev, and it whines a tad whilst accelerating (cambelt?). Im assuming new spark plugs will do wonders but any other things that could be affecting this low down performance? I'm thinking breather hoses, carbs need cleaning? Would a fuel additive be enough to sort it through?

Furthermore, the gearbox is a little odd. In 4th, if I accelerate, the gear knob jumps forward a tad (an jumps back when decellerating). Never out of gear and gear changes are relatively smooth and unproblematic but it seems a little odd that its only happening in 4th gear and not any other (I do suspect there is 'some' movement in 3rd but its so negligable that I think Im being overly suspicious and inventing symptoms). Does anyone else have experience of this and what to do?

Lastly, I have no service history on the car so Im treating it like it needs a full "top up" service were anything that should have been done to the car is going to get done. Would you recommend anything worthwhile that isn't listed in the norm service procedures? (ie. "replace the radiator hoses as they age poorly" for example)

Thanks in advance for your help and pearls of wisdom guys,

X