oil leak

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
sgard
New

oil leak

Post by sgard »

I noticed an oil leak a while back but lately it seems to be getting worse as it has started to drip on to the ground.

it's dripping from the gearshift linkage by the gearbox but i can't tell where the actual leak is coming from, i keep cleaning down the area and checking back after a couple of days i still can't tell where its coming from.

anyone had the same problem, any ideas where it is coming from.

thanks
greyjasper51
New

Re: oil leak

Post by greyjasper51 »

Youll prob find its a 6 quid seal from tps that is where the selector rod goes into the box, they all weep some more than others :-) easy fix take the linkage off the back drain the oil prize the old one out and knock the new one in deep socket always helps :-) hope its of some help

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
sgard
New

Post by sgard »

thanks, how do you get the linkage out of the box, does it just slide out once the linkage is dismantled.
sgard
New

Re: oil leak HELP

Post by sgard »

i've got the old seal out, but can't get the new one in, any tips please as the car is in the road on axle stands.

thanks
reddo
New
Drives: Polo 1.4 8v

Post by reddo »

Hello,

I have same issue and have new seal to fit but linkage does not want to come off the end of the selector shaft. I have removed the locking bolt (still had its blue thread locking liquid on)so looks like it has never been off since 1998. Is there a trick to removing the linkage ie does it slide off or is it screw wound onto the rod?

I also have oil pouring out of what looks like the head/block joint at the LHS of the engine looking from the front; do head gaskets go or could this be something else that is more common. I have replaced the rocker gasket and that joint is now dry as a bone. Thanks for any advice as very stuck at the moment. Cheers
reddo
New
Drives: Polo 1.4 8v

Re: oil leak HELP

Post by reddo »

sgard wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:56 pm i've got the old seal out, but can't get the new one in, any tips please as the car is in the road on axle stands.

thanks
Hi sgard

How did you get the old seal out as mine is really stuck in

Thanks