Overheating issue - please help me and my sis!!!!!

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
ShazGTI
New

Overheating issue - please help me and my sis!!!!!

Post by ShazGTI »

I had a 6n Polo GTi for 10 years and sold it to my sister last September. I loved my Polo and it was well looked after polished regularly and fully serviced. However a growing family meant after such a long time he just had to go to a new home.
Before selling I replaced the dreaded clutch and had new discs and a service, however Since having the Polo my Sis has had a few issues and although it's not my fault I do feel so sorry that she's not being able to enjoy the car as I did.

Please see below an email my sis sent me earlier today....

A few weeks ago I was driving home from work & the temperature light came on. I got it to my garage & the thermostat housing was found to be defective causing overheating. They found fault stored in instrument cluster with thermostat sensor.
They renewed thermostat housing & temperature sensor.

Two weeks later the coolant system warning light came on & steam from engine. The garage have now told me that the thermostat housing part they fitted was faulty so they will replace under warranty. However, they now say my radiator fan is not working & needs replacing along with the thermostat housing pressure cap.

The garage have said that when it was with them two weeks ago the radiator fan did not register as a fault. This time it is registering as an intermittent fault & are telling me that this is what has caused the problem with the thermostat housing etc not the other way around so I now have to pay for a radiator fan @ £358. (they will replace thermostat housing free as under warranty). I do not know much about cars / engines & have had a previous excellent relationship with the garage / mechanic. Just would like some advice on this please if people know if the radiator can cause the damage to the thermostat.

Although I don't have lots of mechanical knowledge I do feel that it is more likely the faulty thermostat has caused the overheating and not the so called issue with the fan. I do appreciate things go wrong with cars but does anyone have an opinion as to whether the issue with the fan - if indeed there is one - could have been the result of the car over heating and not the other way round.

In addition to this they have told her the battery will fail an MOT???? The battery is certainly not seated incorrectly or loose so I'm not sure how it could fail an MOT.

Also some of you may be familiar with the odd light brightness issue on the rear lights - I've seen this on Golfs and Polos. We tried all sorts of bulbs when I had the car and the effect was always the same - one slightly brighter than the other... They are suggesting there is a fault here too.

I have always found this site so informative and it has saved me £'s in the past - so thank you all. Please could you give me a little of your expertise so I can help out my little sis!
Thanks in advance.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Overheating issue - please help me and my sis!!!!!

Post by alexperkins »

That sounds a little ridiculous

I wouldnt be surprised if they used a poor quality thermostat housing and sensor, as the copy parts are absolutely rubbish compared to genuine

Did they replace the thermostat also?

The fans can fail, but generally its on the AC fan not the normal fan

Not sure how the battery can fail an MOT. If it looks ok and is secure itll be fine

With the bulb differences, LED's are sometimes the way forward. Normally its due to a bad earth.

Presumably it is infact a 6N2 GTI and not a 6N (what year is it?)