Oil in airbox and throttle body

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
sleeds
New
Drives: 6n Polo

Oil in airbox and throttle body

Post by sleeds »

Hi guys.

I've just spent the best part of an hour googling this. Been on VW Vortex, uk-polos, and club polo looking at what causes this and the only thing I can find is the breather pipe might need replacing, but no definitive answer.

6n 1.4 8v APQ

The breather pipe hasn't got much mayo on, which usually seems to be the case, but as you can see the throttle body itself is absolutely covered in oil, and so in the inside of the airbox and the air filter.

The breather pipe has gone soft and collapsed but there are no obvious holes that I can find.

It looks like (what I think is a valve) in the airbox has died?
So maybe this is at fault? Although I was of the understanding that this pipe was supposed to be vacuum towards the crankcase?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Cheers in advance.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Oil in airbox and throttle body

Post by alexperkins »

That's an outward breather. It doesn't create a vacuum. It breathes oil mist back into the throttle body so it can be burnt off

Clean it all up with a can of carb/intake cleaner then replace the breather hose with a new one and it should settle
sleeds
New

Post by sleeds »

Cheers buddy.

My biggest worry was that that appeared to be a ridiculously large amount of oil, especially if its supposed to just be vapours?
sleeds
New

Post by sleeds »

Cheers buddy.

What worries me though is that that still seems to be an excessive amount of oil around the throttle body and air box.
Would there be any issue with plugging the breather pipe hole on the air intake, and just extending the breather pipe and just venting it to atmosphere?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

When it gets blocked oil pressure will build and more oil will come out

I would just replace the pipe and leave it onto the intake personally.
reduna
New
Drives: 1996 1.4cl

Post by reduna »

mine looked a lot like this, I gave it all a good clean out and all seams ok, but I will be keeping a eye on it in future.