Excessive Oil consumption 1.4 8v APQ

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
sleeds
New
Drives: 6n Polo

Post by sleeds »

Hi guys

My Polo seems to be using a rather excessive amount of oil. I've used 800ml of oil over the last 200 miles.
So lots of searching says it to be piston rings, or stem seals.

I have had a compression test, and all 4 cylinders showed 190-195 psi. Which I know is high, most likely a coked up head, but nothing to indicate anything else. After a quick poke around the engine there is no sign of obvious oil leakage around the block, or the sump.

The car is smoking out the exhaust, a lot, however I put that down to the inlet and throttle body being coated in oil. Having replaced the crank case breather and cleaning out the intake and throttle body, there is now only vapours passing through once again. And I was expecting the smoke to continue for a bit as the last of the oil was burnt off. However the car is still smoking excessively and consuming oil.

Any pointers, places to look, would be great.

Cheers
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Excessive Oil consumption 1.4 8v APQ

Post by alexperkins »

What colour the smoke out the exhaust?

Im guessing you did the airfilter too?

I would get a can of Wynns Engine Supercharge Treatment and put that in - it can work wonders for high oil consumption and will give the oil system a general cleanout

Run that for a week and see how you go.
sleeds
New

Post by sleeds »

The smoke is white, but its leaving wonderful black marks on the floor on idle

Yea, new air filter, and cleaned the air box and throttle body with a heavy duty degreaser

Cool. Thanks. I'll give it a shot
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

White smoke is interesting. You sure it's not a tinge of blue?
nry
Bronze Member

Post by nry »

I'm presuming white/grey would be burnt oil, blue would be unburnt oil...though white can also be condensation or coolant...

Might be wrong but white suggests piston rings, blue suggests turbo (if applicable) or valve stem oil seals.
sleeds
New

Post by sleeds »

I've gotten a video of it today. It looks to be blue in the video, but it seems whiter in person
video here
Scotland4jimbo
New
Drives: 9n3 gti candy white

Post by Scotland4jimbo »

I had white smoke on an old polo. Like when you first start the car on a cold day then it goes away. Well mines never .turned out white smoke was actually antifreeze being burnt as my head gasket was on the way out. But that's how it started.. Then the water level started to go down and my oil turned to a milk like substance. Then overheating . Is your fluid level ok and not oily to the touch ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk