1999 VW POLO MK3 6N

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
TIMSON
New
Drives: 1999 VW POLO 6N

1999 VW POLO MK3 6N

Post by TIMSON »

I own a 1999 VW Polo 6n mk3.I have had the polo mk3 for 7 years, and here is the things that have gone wrong with it.The car at present has 150,000 km.The first problem i had was with the ABS Pump Module failing, and putting a warning light, my dash.Fixed it by replacing the ABS pump inside the engine bay.Next thing went wrong, was the cars Throttle Body failing.Fixed it by buying a new Throttle Body.The next thing went wrong was with the dashboard. Airbag warning light came on.Fixed it by replacing the Clockspring, inside the steering wheel housing.Other things that have gone were, both the rear Wheel Bearings failed and also the Thermostat, and Housing, which is part of the cars cooling system.Other things that went wrong is the Passenger Front Electric Window Regulator, which failed and jammed, in the upright position.The car gets frequent oil changes using Shell Helix HX7 [10w-40] Semi Synthetic oil.Other failures Include the Temperature Sensor, and drivers door lock failed, and also the rear hatchback lock jammed, so you could not open the rear hatchback. Also the turn signal stalk failed, and needed to be replaced.Other problems were in the Control Arm, where the Rear Control Arm bushes failed on both sides.Other problem i had with the VW Polo was the failure of the brake light switch, which is located down near the brake pedal.Noting the VW Polos failures are mainly electrical related I think that VW should look closely at the quality of the electrics built into their cars.The only good thing is the 1.6 Lite AHS Engine has nothing done to it so far except Oil and Filter changes.Other minor things also went wrong including, the Oil Sump Plug stripped and needed to be replaced, by buying an EcoPlug magnetic sump plug.Also the engines Rocker Cover gasket, has recently started to leak oil.So its really important to buy a brand of car, which has less failures rates, and my next car will be a Toyota, or a Mazda, or a Honda.Will not be buying European again, as the above listed failures cost me over $4500.I have owned many japanese cars in the past, and have never had half the problems, as i have had with the VW POLO MK3.So my confidence in Volkswagon is sadly let down.Also most of the above failures, happened around the 100,000 km mark.Hope this helps anyone buying, this unreliable brand of automobile.posting.php?mode=post&f=6#