Gearbox - replace/recondition

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
goldnet
New

Gearbox - replace/recondition

Post by goldnet »

Hi all

I have a 1996 Polo 1.4 Hatchback, under 30,000 miles, great condition, owned from early 1997. I have it serviced/MOTd each January. Mechanics tell me it's worth holding on to and paying for a major repair or two if required. Last January, the mechanic told me the cover plate of the gearbox was corroded and allowing a slight oil leak. He suggested we buy a gearbox and swap the plate over, keeping the unit in case we ever needed it. I agreed but he didn't actually get one in!

I use pretty sporadically and recently made a 120 mile round trip mostly on motorway/dual carriageway. Noticed a whistle through the air vents - probably some leaves/twigs in the intakes - noted to tell the garage! At 60-70 mph, heard a slight jet engine type whine when pressing on the accelerator - noted to tell garage!

On the return trip, the whine seemed to start moving down in speed, to 50 and under.

Coming off the motorway onto the last 6 miles home, it was stiff dropping down to 3rd. Getting in and out of gears seemed to get harder and slightly hit and miss. The whine seemed to be getting more prominent. I drove the last 3 miles in 3rd. Read online that you can check whether it's a cluth or gearbox problem by trying gear shift with the engine turned off and believe it is indeed the gearbox.

Told the garage about it and we should get in a gearbox! Had a call last week to say they hadn't located one in the UK yet (from my favourite Polo breaker or any that they usually use - and I've done a few parts searches with similar result) but 2 in the Netherlands (post-Brexit, additional tax/duty to pay on those. How would I know that I was buying a reasonable condition part - even the mechanic won't know until it arrives!

Been reading old gearbox threads here - I didn't know there was the possibility to recondition the gearbox I have - although that doesn't resolve the corroded front cover plate issue!

Can anyone recommend a reconditioning place within reach of Shrewsbury/Oswestry/Wrexham/Telford?
Last edited by goldnet on Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goldnet
New

Re: Gearbox - replace/recondition

Post by goldnet »

Update - speaking with my mechanic, I gather that a recondition could be risky as some parts that might be required have been deleted and may be unavailable. If they find a part that can't be replaced, I could be left with scrap. I also have a corroded front plate which still needs fixing anyway.

We have found a replacement box of the right code from a breaker for £100. He'll swap that in and we'll see how it goes. We could then see if my current box can be reconditioned, which could be done out of the car and swapped back in if successful and economically achievable.