airbag light?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
mboyle4
Bronze Member

airbag light?

Post by mboyle4 »

my airbag warning light has appeared and does not go off after a couple of second like some of the other lights, any idea how to sort this out?
supermico
Getting There!

Re: airbag light?

Post by supermico »

The only way to get rid of the airbag light is to reset it with a diagnostic tool (vagcom).
tegwin
Gold Member

Post by tegwin »

supermico wrote:The only way to get rid of the airbag light is to reset it with a diagnostic tool (vagcom).

Depends what has caused the fault.... If its a real problem, then clearing the fault code wont make the problem go away...

Vag-Com would be a good place to start to try and pinpoint the issue.... Have to say that airbags are not something I would want to mess with... but likewise, I would not want to drive a car with defective safety systems...
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Vagcom+airbag = recipe for disaster. you have to be extremely careful when loading the airbag controller, otherwise you can irreversibly damage it! Make sure you are using 409.1 or later as this has airbag protection built into the software!

Reason behind the airbag light being on...well...they dont normally just come on by themselves. It would signify a possible problem. Could be a steering wheel airbag fault due to the design of the cabling, but vagcom will tell you.
mboyle4
Bronze Member

Post by mboyle4 »

Does anyone have vagcom in the derbyshire/nottinghamshire area that I could use to diagnose the fault? I may take it to the dealer but I presume they will charge quite a bit just to do a diagnosis? Want it sorting though because driving with a potential faulty airbag system is not a great idea
emma_88
Gold Member
Drives: 6N2 Polo GTi & 9N3 Polo GTi

Post by emma_88 »

I had my polo diagnosed by my local dealer last year - Cost me £32 including VAT. So it's not too pricey tbh.
wrz6n2
New

Post by wrz6n2 »

Could be your Airbag Slip Ring to me - mine is faulty at the 'mo and VW wanted £186 to sort it out during my last inspection service, I bet you can guess what I said! Worst case your airbag won't deploy in the event of an accident and I guess this may be an MOT failure...
Bepe
Platinum Member

Post by Bepe »

No it isnt an MOT Failure, theres nothing in the book that covers it
scotspie501
Getting There!
Drives: 2002

Re: airbag controller

Post by scotspie501 »

Hi all

when I tried to read the controller on the airbag with Vagcom it could read it

does that mean the controller is faulty

cant read any codes from the airbag controller

help

would love to fix it
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

Bepe wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:18 pm No it isnt an MOT Failure, theres nothing in the book that covers it
Taken directly from the DVSA inspection manual

7.1.6. Supplementary restraint system (SRS)
The SRS MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) should only be failed if it is indicating a system malfunction. A lamp illuminated to indicate the passenger airbag is disabled is not to be regarded as a defect.

Warning messages on dashboard displays are not a defect in their own right, but may assist the tester in determining that the warning lamp is illuminated because a malfunction exists.

Defect Category
(a) An SRS malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) indicates a system malfunction

FAILURE
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Bear in mind that comment was from 2010….