THE Polo GTi Pedal Box Thread

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

THE Polo GTi Pedal Box Thread

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Right then.

After one of our members was told by VW UK Customer Services "Not to believe anything you read on the Internet" regarding the Polo GTi Pedal Box failures I thought I would put together a report, detailing the problems that everyone has had with their Polo GTi Pedal Box. I will then present the report to VW UK for comment. I also hope that they will consider altering the design of the part(s) used in the repair, as it appears that the parts used are the same as the failed parts (ie, VW have not changed them in any way!)

So, I need the following details from everyone who has had a pedal box failure VIA EMAIL to josh@tigerstyle.co.uk:

FORUM NAME
REAL NAME
CAR REGISTRATION NUMBER (I will not disclose this to anyone except VW UK)
CAR BUILD DATE
DATE OF PROBLEM
GARAGE THAT UNDERTOOK REPAIR
UNDER WARRANY? (Yes/No)
PARTS REPLACED

The information you provide will only be used for this report and will never be disclosed to anyone other than VW UK.

Thank you in advance for your help

I hope this might change something as I for one would not be happy if this problem re-occurred on my car (as I am now well out of my warranty period :( )
harry
Silver Member

Post by harry »

didn't renew the warranty?? i'll get you the necessary details when i pick it up.
blackgti
Bronze Member

Post by blackgti »

Josh where do I get the build date from?

Thanks
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Ok, not build date, more like "Date of First Registration".
cyhliu
Platinum Member

Post by cyhliu »

Anyone had any problems getting into reverse gear? I just noticed it at the weekend but haven't had enough time to investigate further. Seems like the gears are still moving and that I am forcing it into reverse...with some grating of gears and a final thump...doesn't sound good does it?

Help!
marc
New

into reverse

Post by marc »

Yeh I've had the same problem. My clutch and pedal box mechanism was replaced and it's stopped doing it as much now. However, before the work was carried out it happened pretty much all the time when going into reverse. At first I thought I hadn't depressed the clutch enough but the more it happened I thought it must be the car. Now I seem to struggle going into third when changing down even at low speeds. The clutch mechanism on the polos are pants I reckon, never had as much trouble as this on any other of my cars in the past.
cyhliu
Platinum Member

Post by cyhliu »

Thanks, I've booked it into the dealer to have a look, the lady reckons it something thats common and will be sorted out in half a day...I just hope it doesn't lead to more problems later on...finger crossed!
SilvaGTI
Getting There!

Post by SilvaGTI »

I havent noticed any problems getting into reverse but I've noticed that 1st gear often requires more force than the rest of the gears to get it to engage. It's not everytime but on some occasions it will stick part of the way an needs an extra 'shove' to get it into gear.
I would say that the box isnt as smooth as some japanese cars I've driven but if you want re-assurance that it's not that bad go and test drive a peugeot 206 GTi. It's got what has to be the most diabolical gearbox / clutch I've ever used :shock: It really is that evil!
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

i've found that on my 6n (and my Golf come to think of it) that if you put it into reverse slowly it doesnt make a sound, but put it in at normal speeds and it crunches nearly all the time. a mechcanic mate of mine said it was something to do with the gears being 'straight cut' :?
simrich
New

Post by simrich »

Talk about good timing! I am currently in the process of TRYING to sort out the exact same problem with my GTi. I find that most of the time i try to engage reverse, its as though the engine still runs and causes the gearbox to crunch, therefore hard to select reverse gear. I am also finding that it crunches frequently when changing from fourth to fifth. At first i thought it was me not depressing the pedal enough but theres gotta be somethig wrong. Just to add that my car has has a new gearbox/clutch/pedal box replaced under warranty before! Not happy! :( Took it the dealership, they had a drive and told me that it needs booking in to strip the clutch down and order parts required once diagnosed problem. Here comes the tricky bit...will it be a mechanical fault and will therefore be covered under my warranty or will it be something caused by wear and tear?? The dealership will want reimbursement for their labour work (£150 ish) to strip out clutch and put back, something i arent prepared to pay for considering ive only had car just over 3 months! So im at a standstill at the moment, do i take the risk and hope its mechanical failure or not? Theyve said it could need a clutch kit (pressure plate, cable, release bearing, etc.) but this is expensive! cyhliu can you please let me know what your dealership has said and if they are doing the work under warranty or not. I hate Polo clutches/gearboxes! :x
cyhliu
Platinum Member

Post by cyhliu »

Simrich,

I've got warranty on my motor as I've only had it just over two months and I got it from the dearler. They haven't said anything about costs but I am certainly not paying anything for it considering the short time I've had it.

I will let you know what happens, I've got it booked in to next Tuesday and so will know by Thursday, originally they said it would be a half a day job but I said I'd rather they make a good job of it and so the lady has booked it in for two days...just hope they fix it...whilst not damaging other parts of the car!

Will keep you posted...
marc
New

damn those clutches

Post by marc »

While we're talking about gear boxes and clutches. When driving my car in fourth gear, if I come 0ff the gas and then accelerate fairly sharply the gear lever rocks forward quite a lot and then if I come off the gas it rocks back quite a bit. Does anyone have the same problem.
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

sounds like the gearbox mount rather than the gearbox itself
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Hi Marc

I've had this problem since I bought the car...

JUST had it sorted last month (don't know what the dealers did, but it's stopped doing it now.

It was highly annoying!

Next time I'm in there, I'll ask them what they did to fix it.
PoloGTi
Silver Member

Post by PoloGTi »

I test drove 3 Polo GTis before I eventually bought mine, the gearstick seemed to 'rock forward' on all 3 when I accelerated. I just thought that it was normal :?

I also crunch when going in to reverse, but thought it was just me rushing.

And a couple of times I have missed second gear when racing off at the lights, quite embarrassing (sp?) really.

I just thought I was a bad driver :?