Brake Fluid

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
dantheram
Gold Member

Brake Fluid

Post by dantheram »

Morning all,

how much brake fluid do i need to do a change? is it 2 litres?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Brake Fluid

Post by alexperkins »

Nowhere near that

Entire system uses around .5L

A 1L bottle will be sufficient for a full bleed.
dantheram
Gold Member

Post by dantheram »

spot on, thanks Alex

Also,

i did my brakes yesterday - pads and rotors and the passenger side caliper piston was tough to wind back - this was after i had extracted and re-lubed the slide pins.

On my drive home yesterday my passenger side brakes were extremely hot, clearly the piston is not moving back as it should

i've ordered a caliper to be safe but i was wondering if there is anything i could try to loosen up the caliper in the mean time?

PS hoping it is the just the caliper - what other things can cause this, blocked hoses maybe??
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Front or rear caliper?

Its possible theres an air lock in the caliper, or the mecahnism has seized

If its a rear caliper, its almost impossible to repair, and has to be swapped out due to the handbrake mechanism

If its a front caliper, its just a case of popping the piston out under pressure and servicing the caliper.
dantheram
Gold Member

Post by dantheram »

alexperkins wrote:Front or rear caliper?

Its possible theres an air lock in the caliper, or the mecahnism has seized

If its a rear caliper, its almost impossible to repair, and has to be swapped out due to the handbrake mechanism

If its a front caliper, its just a case of popping the piston out under pressure and servicing the caliper.

it's a front - tried bringing it right out and pushing it back in last night, went out a little too far and it's stuck now :( . Going to put my spare on and possibly get my old one re-furb'd.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Sounds like its gone off being straight which will make it almost impossible to push it back in unless its removed, and reseated
dantheram
Gold Member

Post by dantheram »

alexperkins wrote:Sounds like its gone off being straight which will make it almost impossible to push it back in unless its removed, and reseated
I initially thought this - the top slide pin had frozen and the pads were worn unevenly, did get it moving but, as i said, i pushed it out a little too much and have probably made it more off straight than it was before :(
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

If you have a nice wide block of wood, its possible to straighten it up gently with pressure, providing you can get the caliper on a flat surface so you can applying differing pressure to each side of the piston
dantheram
Gold Member

Post by dantheram »

alexperkins wrote:If you have a nice wide block of wood, its possible to straighten it up gently with pressure, providing you can get the caliper on a flat surface so you can applying differing pressure to each side of the piston

To be honest it needs coming out and refurbing, the gaiter / protective boot thing is 60% detached so it will just fill up with debris if i put it back on.

I'm hoping the spare i've sourced is in good nick!!!