Upgrade Options

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
DaveyB
New
Drives: 6N2 GTi

Upgrade Options

Post by DaveyB »

Hi all.
I currently have 6N2 GTI which is basically standard(ish). Its a bit rough around the edges but I bought it as its low mileage with a good gearbox and full factory leather. It looks like early in the new year we'll be getting a new car the missus to whizz about in so either the Polo gets sold or I turn it into my new project, hence this post!

I'm pretty well read up on what various options are with these cars - I had one in the past which was fairly extensively (put poorly!) modified by a previous owner, but I want to look at some other options. Any help would be massively appreciated - the aim is to build a super clean, OEM=esque car that handles like a GTI should but doesn't look out of place at a show.

- brakes. What options have I got here? I'm not sure yet whether I'll be sticking with 15s or going to 16s. Is there something thats easily retrofittable from a (mk2?) Golf etc?

- suspension. I want coilovers but I don't want cheap stuff so no Pro Sport, JOM, FK Streets etc. Had some APs on a previous car and have VMaxx on my T5, both of which I like. Currently thinking of APs for the Polo. Good choice for around that money?

- the intention is to clean up the engine bay. A LOT! Not sure whether I'll have the whole engine out and smooth stuff or just go for a subtle nip and tuck here and there. As far as filters and induction kits go, whats good? Looked at Ramair but someone said it just makes noise and nothing else. Would a K&M type filter be better and keep the OEM airbox etc?

- other retrofittable stuff... Are there options from other VAG stuff to enhance the look of the little Polo? Aero wipers off something else etc?

- interior trim. I'm going to try and order new interior door handles etc to replace my old ones which have suffered badly with that rubbery coating coming off. But things like headlining and A/B/C pillar trim - if I wanted to get those black, is dying/spraying the only option? No special edition 6N2 that came with black bits as per the mk4 Golf Anniversary etc?

Think thats it for now. Sorry for all the questions but looking forward to properly getting stuck into this project now :D

Dave
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Upgrade Options

Post by alexperkins »

Welcome

Brakes - G60 280mm brakes are the best option. 15s or 16s are fine with this

Suspension - personally would go for a decent spring/shock set such as H&R or Eibach over a coilover set. AP coilovers are known to be a bit harsh on the 6N2 and frequently seize up.

Filters - A BMC CDA is a great choice - fits in the gap where the airbox is and allows you to keep the engine cover. Adds a nice growl and will improve performance a little. NB its a NA engine, so no number of air filters is going to make that much difference. In some cases, youll just burn more fuel and gain nothing but noise.

Other bits - Retrofit aero blades can be bought from VW - 6N2 998 002 is the part number. Other retrofits such as auto lights and rain sensor are possible with some work.

Interior Trim - Some of the door handles are NLA from VW so you may have to look at a plastikote or similar vinyl spray to restore an original finish to them. For the trims, yes, dying or spraying is your only option. Mirror can be changed for a black one out of a mk3 golf, Lupo GTI or a 6N polo.
DaveyB
New
Drives: 6N2 GTi

Re: Upgrade Options

Post by DaveyB »

Thanks Alex. Stupidly I've just found all this info in the sticky above! Doh!