Baz's build thread

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Bazzad88
Getting There!
Drives: 6n2 polo GTi

Baz's build thread

Post by Bazzad88 »

Hi everyone, I'm Baz. I'm gonna start a little build thread on here and try and keep it up to date, hopefully it will get a few people interacting. I own 2 cars, one being the 6n2 GTi. The polo has been off the road for over 3 years now due to it not running, as I've learnt more about cars over the years I got the urge to start looking at the polo again and try and fix it......which I did......yaaaay!!! I had mechanics come and look at the car but didn't really help that much, I eventually came to the conclusion it was an immobiliser issue so I bought an ecu, immobiliser and key chip. I also needed a new battery, I gave the engine a check over and turned it by hand, then held my breath and turned the key haha and no joke it fired up instantly. I literally couldn't believe it, I stood there pretty amazed.....sounds pretty sad now haha but I was chuffed.

The car is a 2001 vw polo gti, 3 door in black. Here's a list of most of the mods....

Schmidt modernlines 15x8
Toyo t1r tyres
Fk coilovers (probably gonna get new ones)
K&n typhoon
421 manifold
Sports cat
Custom cat back exhaust
Pioneers stereo
Audiobahn sub
Retrimmed headlining
Retrimmed a,b,c pillars in suede
Painted centre console and other parts
Carbon wrapped roof (done a few days ago)
Oil catch can

I think that's the majority of it.

Everyone likes picture so here we go....
20180520_165215.jpg
20180520_165302.jpg
Bazzad88
Getting There!

Re: Baz's build thread

Post by Bazzad88 »

Ok I was about to carry on with more pictures of the work I've done so far but why have my pictures gone sideways like that?
6n2stan
Silver Member
Drives: 6N2 GTI, Golf GTD + R32, T5.1 BiTDI DSG

Post by 6n2stan »

Looks like a nice car Bazz, Black 3 doors are the best ones too :wink: I’m glad you got it fixed with the new ECU, result.

The pics look fine to me, any of the interior?
Bazzad88
Getting There!

Post by Bazzad88 »

Thanks mate, on my screen both the pictures are side ways, so I have to turn my phone sideways to see them, yeah I've got plenty more pics to put up but as they are sideways I didn't bother at the time.
bazza88
New

Post by bazza88 »

Here's a few more pictures

I have been doing some work to the car recently so I will upload more soon.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

dipstr
Getting There!
Drives: 6n2 gti

Post by dipstr »

Nice touch on the dash clocks buddy. Am just about to start mine as well. Mine has also been off road for a few years.so got myself some little things for her. F&R gti mudflaps/wind reflectors for doors and sunroof. But just started to refurb the wheels myself then going to cut paintwork back and polish the arse off her lol.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bazzad88
Getting There!

Post by Bazzad88 »

Ah nice, sounds good, what colour is yours? You should put some pictures up, yeah I'm going to be giving mine a wash, clay, cut/polish and wax soon
dipstr
Getting There!

Post by dipstr »

Black like yours Baz will get some pics up over weekend

bazza88
New

Post by bazza88 »

Yeah that would be good mate

bazza88
New

Post by bazza88 »

Update!!!

After getting the car running, the first thing I did was change the oil, oil filter and spark plugs, I've also got a Bosch fuel filter but haven't fitted that. I gave the car a wash cos there was a bit of grimey stuff living in all the nooks and crannies. I do like to collect cleaning products so I made an order from clean your car and can't wait to try them on the polo haha

I got the car off of the garden and onto the drive so I could check underneath, everything looked alright really (thank God vw used plenty on underseal haha) I did notice the wishbones and bushes looked pretty sorry for themselves, they didn't have much play in them at all tbh but I thought I might as well change them.

They looked pretty grotty so I got some new ones which were pretty easy to fit

Whilst I had the wheels off I repainted all the brake calipers, it's surprising how much they freshen up the look of the car

bazza88
New

Post by bazza88 »

The headlights were looking terrible so I gave them a bit of attention with the meguiars headlight restoration kit, I used this on my s2000 and it's pretty good, I did have to give them a fair bit of sanding tho, working my way up through the grits, it really brought the front of the car back to life....

Before

After

I was pretty annoyed to discover that the sun had completely ruined the lacquer on the roof so after giving it some thought I decided to wrap the roof and the rails. I got my mate to come round and help......this is the result, I'm actually quite pleased with it haha

At first I really wasn't sure on the carbon roof wrap but it's really grown on me now and I quite like it, hopefully it lasts quite a while.

Over a few weeks I started stripping the rocker cover of it's paint, it had quite a few chips and just looked grubby and s**t so I used nitromors to get the majority of the paint off but I did have to do a fair bit of sanding by hand, eventually I got most of it off.

And then got some red engine paint (Ferrari red apparently) haha and spent a back breaking amount of time painting it, it does look a 100 times better now tho, I also gave the engine a clean out...

I've had to remove the 421 manifold and sports cat and put the original ones back on so that now it is pretty much ready for an mot, I just need to insure it and book it in, whilst doing the cat etc, I snow foamed and pressure washed the front wheel wells and under the car....

That's about as far as I've got so far, I'm hoping to get the mot done soon, hopefully it passes, the only thing I can see that it could fail on is the tyres but we will see.

I'll be back with an update soon haha.

dipstr
Getting There!

Post by dipstr »

Looking good Baz.[emoji106] here is a few pics of mine sitting in works car park feeling sorry for it's self. Not sure what to do with the roof so might go down your route and wrap it although not sure as mine has sunroof.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

bazza88
New

Post by bazza88 »

Thanks, yeah the sun roof will make it more awkward, is it off the road at the moment?

dipstr
Getting There!

Post by dipstr »

Yes been off road for about 2ys now. Just doing the wheels at the mo. Doing rims in gun metal grey and keeping centres black as going off the flash red ones. So just thought try the grey for a change.

bazza88
New

Post by bazza88 »

Oh fair enough, so has it been sitting there the whole time? Haha