Exhaust options: Polo GTI

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
937carrera
Silver Member
Drives: 2000 Polo GTi

Exhaust options: Polo GTI

Post by 937carrera »

I understood that the original GTi exhust is no longer available from VW and there is an option of a twin pipe version from one of the diesel models.

I need one for MOT and have just done an ebay search and found one that is supposedly for a GTi, made by EEC.

I am about to give them a call to see if I can get a picture, has anybody experience of this UK based manufacturer - quality or not ?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Exhaust options: Polo GTI

Post by alexperkins »

The genuine economy twin pipe for the TDI works perfect on the GTI, so id probably go down that route to be honest

You have to be very careful with the quality of 3rd party exhausts. Its important they use aluminised steel, generally made by ThyssenKrupp as this lasts alot longer than typical cheap offerings.
937carrera
Silver Member

Post by 937carrera »

Thanks Alex,

I spoke to EEC technical, very helpful.

Sadly, they don't make an exhaust for the GTi, and they had real problems finding part numbers from a number of different sources to match against.

When I looked "closely" I spotted that there was no join between the middle silencer and the back box. I suppose that means that the exhaust is still original. Wow, 18 years and 136,000 miles. I therefore effected repairs using chemical metal.

Anyway, passed the MOT today, so panic over, but I'll need one soon. Any price indications - my local TPS isn't especially customer friendly.

I got these part numbers from another post. Why do they start JZW rather than 6N0 ?
JZW253609AF rear silencer - its designated for the diesel models, but the diameter is the same (its just a two pipe outlet instead)
JZW253209AA front silencer - GTI/diesel models

JZW298141H - fitting kit rear (new sleeves etc) - worth getting
JZW298141AP - fitting kit front (new sleeves etc) - worth getting
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

I think from TPS pricing was under £50 for the backbox. youll definitely want the sleeve kit (around a tenner)

Its JZW as its gone to Four+ parts now. Many of the 6N0 parts have been dropped, or in this case, renumbered. The quality is identical to the original 6N0 part, its just a new pressing.

Some of the JZW parts like brake pads etc have minor changes to price them more aggressively, but quality and function aren't affected
M7R
New

Post by M7R »

How many people are running the diesel boxes? any extra noise? diesel boxes tend to be refer flowing than petrol ones due to the turbo killing more noise.
M7R
New

Post by M7R »

So what are folks running? Looks like I have one to change soonish, so weighing up the options
937carrera
Silver Member

Post by 937carrera »

Well, nearly another year on and the Polo started sounding a bit like a tractor.A quick inspection showed that although my repairs were still intact, the pipe had snapped where it goes over the rear beam. Time to treat her to a new one.

I managed to source one from my local TPS using the above part numbers. The exhaust itself was reasonably priced, but the connectors were a tad pricey compared to the ones available from ECP. In the end I went genuine all the way. Removing the old one was easy enough.All the bolts undid nicely, with the exception of course of the original connectors where the original 17mm nuts seemed to be down to about 7mm. Two minutes with the grinder and it was released.

All back together and I noticed that the new silencer does seem to have a deep rumble to it and it seems a bit throaty in comparison - but no leaks so should be good for the imminent MOT :D :D :D

Thanks for the part numbers