Horn blows fuse 47 every time

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
M7R
New

Horn blows fuse 47 every time

Post by M7R »

Got an odd one but hopefully easy, every time the horn is pressed fuse 47 blows and the horns dont work, change the fuse and it blows again as soon as the horn is pressed.

I have even removed the relay and it still does the same.

Any ideas?
dipstr
Getting There!
Drives: 6n2 gti

Re: Horn blows fuse 47 every time

Post by dipstr »

Disconnect horn and try it. If it don't blow then horn is naff

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

937carrera
Silver Member
Drives: 2000 Polo GTi

Post by 937carrera »

It doesn't make sense that the fuse is blowing when the relay is removed. look at the wiring diagram below and confirm the car is wired as original.
horn.jpg
M7R
New

Post by M7R »

I will disconnect the horns this lunch, and see what VCDS says.

I even got a another standard horn relay (Couldn't find the one I took out annoyingly) and put that back in.

I will double check what happens with the relays removed as I may have been wrong on that one, I tried it again and I seemed to remember that if either the horn relay or the headlight washer relay are removed then the fuse doesn't blow.

Annoying me now, will be very annoyed if it is the horn has just packed up at the same time as changing the wiper relay, but again at least it would be an easy fix.

Cheers
M7R
New

Post by M7R »

so far:

1 horn dead, 1 works fine.

With both horns removed it still blows fuse 47 which from the diagram above is the horn.

Relay 95 removed, and relay 100 in place, fuse does not blow.

one thing I have noticed is that where relay 95 goes there doesnt appear to be any connector to the middle pin on the relay, but from looking at the relay it looks like there should be??? any one able to confirm that the middle pin of 95 should be making contact with something?? maybe I have pushed that pin out by mistake when I put the relay back in?
dipstr
Getting There!
Drives: 6n2 gti

Post by dipstr »

Right I have had a quick.look at wiring diagram. Remove the horn relay then check that you have the lives to the relay. If lives are present then would suggest remove air bag and check wiring in steering wheel. The horn plate is part of the slip ring and you should have a contact from rear of steering wheel to slip ring. You will also need to remove steering wheel to check condition. If all looks ok then try bridging horn plate and see if horn sounds/fuse blows..if it blows fuse then you have a wiring issue from slip ring to relay

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

M7R
New

Post by M7R »

fixed it....

turns out that the photo I found online of the relay locations when some one else fitted a 99 relay did not match mine!! on mine the 95 and 53 relays go the other way round :oops:

horn working now (bar the 1 dead one)
937carrera
Silver Member
Drives: 2000 Polo GTi

Post by 937carrera »

Glad you got it sorted..... based on your earlier post I was going to suggest that perhaps you had the relays inserted wrongly, no way fuse 47 could blow with the horn relay removed :wink:
M7R
New

Post by M7R »

Should have taken a photo before I started pulling things apart so annoyed! But hey ho at least it wasn’t something too big