Rocker gasket

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Bazzad88
Getting There!
Drives: 6n2 polo GTi

Rocker gasket

Post by Bazzad88 »

Hi all

I'm planning on changing the cambelt etc on my 6n2 GTi engine. How much more work is it to remove the rocker cover and re seal it as I believe it's all kind of built together? Am I able to keep the timing in place if I remove the rocker cover? Thanks
937carrera
Silver Member
Drives: 2000 Polo GTi

Re: Rocker gasket

Post by 937carrera »

You can remove the rocker cam cover without touching the cam belt. There is no gasket. Don't be tempted to use RTV, if it is clean and dry an anaerobic sealant like Loctite 518 will be perfect

Release the bolts gradually, the springs will be putting pressure on the cam / cam cover. Trickiest is the middle left near the variable valve timing bit
Bazzad88
Getting There!

Post by Bazzad88 »

Hi, thanks for the reply, so the loctite is what you would recommend for resealing the rocker cover?

I've done lots of googling and watching YouTube videos of similar engines from 1.6 16v golfs etc and it doesn't look too hard
937carrera
Silver Member
Drives: 2000 Polo GTi

Post by 937carrera »

It's not like the early golf engines, they did have a rocker cover. The GTi has a cam cover, the camshaft "bearings" are part of the cover itself.

I used a different anaerobic sealant that I had on the shelf, used on a different car where 518 is recommended. You don't need much.
Bazzad88
Getting There!

Post by Bazzad88 »

Hi

Sorry I meant cam cover, just habit to call it a rocker cover haha

Thanks for the info, I'll look into getting some of the 518 then