Stalling in cold start

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Nesclick
New
Drives: Polo gti 6n2

Stalling in cold start

Post by Nesclick »

Hey! What's up! Has it ever happened to you? Every morning when the engine is cold my car will stall until it warms up a bit, maybe 3 times then it will keep the revs but if I press the gas it will stall, so I don't touch it till it warms up for 3 minutes after thats is like nothing hppened. Runs fine, even if I turn the engine on and off starts normal when it's warm.

I've replaced the spark plugs and the fuel filter. Has a good battery and bran new oil and filters. Also the coil ignition was replaced 2 years ago... I think it has to be the fuel pump or some sensor. What about you?
Bazzad88
Getting There!
Drives: 6n2 polo GTi

Re: Stalling in cold start

Post by Bazzad88 »

Hmm I haven't had that happen before

Can you hear the fuel pump prime before you start it?

The fuel pump solenoid is under the dash near the fuse box, I've heard they can fail sometimes, you can usually hear them click if you stick your head under there when you turn the key

How quickly does it stall?
Nesclick
New

Post by Nesclick »

I think you are right! I kinda think there is a sound missing from before but not sure, maybe something to do with that you mean. So if you turn to be right... this means it could be that solenoid thing? How do I pull it out? And if it's that, does it make sense the car runs as brand new after 3 mins?
High revs, everything normal.

Okay so it's morning I left the car some 8h I put the key in, I start the engine and I would need to crank it for some 3 seconds, then it goes kinda normal. After 5 seconds of running it stalls, you can hear it coming. So now I start it again, and now it turns the engine right on and maybe this time it will last longer before it stalls a second time. Usually on the third time of starting it it won't stall. Now after I have started it, even on that last third time. If I dare to hit the gas pedal. It will stall. So I found best to leave the pedal alone otherwise it's a mission impossible.
Nesclick
New

Post by Nesclick »

Waaait a second, aren't these solenoids only for Diesel engines? Mine is the 1.6 petrol one
937carrera
Silver Member
Drives: 2000 Polo GTi

Post by 937carrera »

When you open the drivers door you should hear the fuel pump prime.... quite a clever invention by VW.

On the stalling when cold, I would be looking for an air leak somewhere on the induction side, look around the intake manifold for rubber pipes cracked etc, or for a loose connection on the throttle body. maybe just give that a clean too.