POLO GTI+ | Police Trouble

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: POLO GTI+ | Police Trouble

Post by monkeyhanger »

There's definitely got to be some kind of flag on your reg number, linked to your speeding conviction. There's plenty of quicker cars out there and the Polo GTI is pretty subtle in looks, unlike sometging like a Subaru Impreza or the current Civic R type.

My Golf R in the signature Lapiz Blue attracted no Police attention.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

I don't think it's totally unfair for the police to be somewhat suspicious of a 24 year old male driving a Polo GTi.
I'd venture very few can afford the car, or the insurance.
You may even look younger than 24, I don't know.
No easy answer to this, we want the police to be proactive but we don't want to be the people they're proactive upon.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:44 am I don't think it's totally unfair for the police to be somewhat suspicious of a 24 year old male driving a Polo GTi.
I'd venture very few can afford the car, or the insurance.
You may even look younger than 24, I don't know.
No easy answer to this, we want the police to be proactive but we don't want to be the people they're proactive upon.
I don't think it's all that unusual for someone in their early 20s to have a decent car, especially as so many are living with mam and dad until their late 20s and beyond, under the guise of saving for a mortgage deposit but in reality blowing all their wages having fun. :lol:

The Polo GTI I'd not an insanely expensive car, nor a particularly flash car - very Conservative in its looks.

It's ok for Police to seemingly harass a 24 year old for having a decent lower tier hot hatch (no offense, but it's no RS3 or M140)? If the person being harassed was of a certain ethnicity, there'd be hell to pay.

ACC standard fit on plus model makes it relatively cheap to insure, performance considered.

The Police should be more proactive in catching the perpetrators of the catalytic converter theft crime wave.

There are hundred of thefts around my neck of the woods, mainly Honda Jazz - presumably design makes them very accessible. 2 mins for some toerag with a cordless powered saw and they're gone.
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Post by grazuncle2 »

I .agree..

Injustice is still injustice.. regardless..
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:50 pm
The Polo GTI I'd not an insanely expensive car, nor a particularly flash car - very Conservative in its looks.

Disagree.
It may not be all wings like a Subaru or a Civic Type R, but it's still very overtly sporty.
Especially if it's the GTi+ with the LED running lights in the headlights.
It attracts attention and some of that may be unwanted.
Deal with it or get another car.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:43 pm

Disagree.
It may not be all wings like a Subaru or a Civic Type R, but it's still very overtly sporty.

I disagree, I was looking at mine as it’s popped up on the used car section (seems it just moved sites) and for a hot hatch it’s not really overly sporty. Compare it to a Mini Cooper s, fiesta st and i20N and it looks almost plain. Doesn’t really look much flashier than an r-line. VW were always more understated than competitors.

Fact is it’s a young lad in a nice car. Police wrongly pull you over in the hope of catching you but the attitude they show is not needed - as SRGTD said, if you were any other ethnicity it would be harassment.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:43 pm

Disagree.
Really? LED running lights scream hot hatch to you? Most new cars with an RRP over £15k have them.

VWs and Audis with clout are generally the most Conservative looking hot hatches out there, except when VW occasionally go the whole hog with a very limited edition like the CSS or Pirelli edition. The MK7 Golf R was incredibly understated. Remember that advert where the old Golfs with the Halfords makeover were crying?

Pretty much any other make out there shouts about its performance - Renault, Peugeot, Ford, Vauxhall, Alfa, Fiat, Mini, Mazda, Honda...

Pretty much the only thing that says performance about the GTI/GTI+ externally is if you optioned the Brescias. Every car out there with more than 100ps has twin exhausts. No hig intakes, no big spoilers on the Polo GTI.

VWs are almost always subtle/understated - if you want lairy in the VAG stable, you buy a Cupra. Most VW hot hatch enthusiasts like their subtle looks rather than looking like someone has coated their car in glue and ram-raided Halfords.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:09 pm Really? LED running lights scream hot hatch to you? Most new cars with an RRP over £15k have them.

VWs and Audis with clout are generally the most Conservative looking hot hatches out there, except when VW occasionally go the whole hog with a very limited edition like the CSS or Pirelli edition. The MK7 Golf R was incredibly understated. Remember that advert where the old Golfs with the Halfords makeover were crying?

Pretty much any other make out there shouts about its performance - Renault, Peugeot, Ford, Vauxhall, Alfa, Fiat, Mini, Mazda, Honda...

Pretty much the only thing that says performance about the GTI/GTI+ externally is if you optioned the Brescias. Every car out there with more than 100ps has twin exhausts. No hig intakes, no big spoilers on the Polo GTI.

VWs are almost always subtle/understated - if you want lairy in the VAG stable, you buy a Cupra. Most VW hot hatch enthusiasts like their subtle looks rather than looking like someone has coated their car in glue and ram-raided Halfords.
it doesn't matter if we agree if it looks sporty or not, Police are often car/bike enthusiasts and may well know it's a GTi.
The red trim on the front,for starters.
Then see the young guy driving etc.etc.
Whether we like it or not, police go about their daily duties 'judging books by their covers' and using gut instinct.
Of course they'll get it wrong from time.
steeve
Bronze Member
Drives: Mk10 GTI+

Post by steeve »

I would make a request to the Police to see if there is a marker on the car, if that fails to elicit a response you have the right to make an official complaint, I've done this about a police incident (whilst out in the POLO) and received a very comprehensive apology. With the officer spoken too. I was concerned that making a complain might add the car to a database and further stops, but no nothing has happened.
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

I bought my GTI when I was 22. I had similar experiences to yourself with police u-turns, pull-overs and rolling up next to me at traffic lights.
The car itself doesn't seem to attract the attention. It's how the driver appears inside. Whether we like it or not, there's a stereotype that stands out to them.

I've just turned 25, and I drive a lot more for work.
When driving business, I'm dressed in smart-casual clothes, and normally on calls, so from the outside I look relatively happy and harmless.
When I'm just going to the shops or running errands, I'll have the radio on, wearing casual clothes and maybe the window down a little bit.
Can you guess which attracts more police attention?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

MattHGR wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:49 am I bought my GTI when I was 22. I had similar experiences to yourself with police u-turns, pull-overs and rolling up next to me at traffic lights.
The car itself doesn't seem to attract the attention. It's how the driver appears inside. Whether we like it or not, there's a stereotype that stands out to them.

When driving business, I'm dressed in smart-casual clothes, and normally on calls, so from the outside I look relatively happy and harmless.
When I'm just going to the shops or running errands, I'll have the radio on, wearing casual clothes and maybe the window down a little bit.
Can you guess which attracts more police attention?
I'd be more likely to pull you over on scenario 1 - taking and making calls while driving. :lol:
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:08 am I'd be more likely to pull you over on scenario 1 - taking and making calls while driving. :lol:
:?:
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:49 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:08 am I'd be more likely to pull you over on scenario 1 - taking and making calls while driving. :lol:
MattHGR wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:49 am.

That's scenario 1, unless I misinterpreted what "on calls" meant.

Presumably it varies by area - in an area with very low car theft rates, there's no need for the Police to second guess who's driving a car they shouldn't be, whereas somewhere like Coventry or Birmingham, everyone's a suspect who's driving a 300+ ps car.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:19 pm
Andy Beats wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:49 pm
MattHGR wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:49 am.

That's scenario 1, unless I misinterpreted what "on calls" meant.
‘On calls’ could mean travelling to meet business associates rather than on a phone call.

If @MattHGR did mean holding phone conversations while driving, then their Polo GTI has Bluetooth so any phone calls they’re making are unlikely to be anything other than hands free, which is permitted under UK law - provided the driver making the call remains in full control of the vehicle at all times. However, the police can still pull a driver over and prosecute them if they think they’re being distracted and not full in control of their vehicle.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

I'm not even remotely suggesting it's the case here, but some people really act weird when they see the police.
I remember one guy I used to know would physically 'shrink down' into his seat if he saw a police car, like he was in some movie and trying to avoid detection.
I'm not even sure he knew he was doing it.
I guess if someone is making a hands free call, the police could misconstrue it as 'mouthing off' at them....maybe...?
I rarely take calls, I just receive and dictate texts.