What did you and your Polo do today?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: What did you and your Polo do today?

Post by SRGTD »

S_94 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:18 pm Thanks for the write up mate, much appreciated.

Regarding the centre bore, if I wanted alloys that weren't 57.1 does that make fitting them much of a hassle?
It shouldn’t be a hassle for wheels with a centre bore that’s greater than 57.1 as spigot rings of the appropriate size are fitted inside the centre bore of the wheel to reduce it to 57.1. Aftermarket alloy manufacturers tend to make many of their wheels with a relatively large centre bore so the wheels will fit as wide a range of different vehicles as possible (with the appropriate sized spigot rings fitted to the wheels); that way they can maximise their sales volumes!

Wheels with a centre bore of less than 57.1 won’t fit. Additionally, all wheels for the Polo will need to have a PCD (pitch circle diameter) of 5x100, otherwise the bolt holes in the wheels won’t line up with the corresponding bolt holes in the car’s hub assemblies.

It’s really important that the wheel’s centre bore fits snug and flush on the car’s hub as it’s this snug fit that takes the weight of the car. If wheels with a larger (than 57.1) centre bore are fitted without spigot rings, then the wheel bolts will be taking the entire weight of the car, so they’ll be under considerable strain and at risk of failing and IMO that’s incredibly dangerous and unsafe.

Ensuring the fitmemt of aftermarket wheels is correct for specific makes and model of car is the reason why online retailers require you to input details of your car. That way, they’ll only show you wheels that will fit your car. Some of those wheels will have a centre bore larger than 57.1 and some will require wheel bolts with a tapered or flat seat rather than use the existing VW radius seat wheel bolts. If that happens to be the case, then the retailer will supply a fixing kit comprising bolts and / or spigot rings to ensure correct and safe fitment of the wheels on the car. All wheels they show you should have combinations of wheel width and offset that shouldn’t give you any rubbing issues. However, on that point I would personally always stick as close as possible to the width and offset of VW’s factory wheels. Bear in mind that if you need new wheel bolts, the fixing kit the retailer provides is unlikely to include locking wheel bolts, so you’d need to buy new locking wheel bolts with the correct bolt seat (tapered or flat) for the wheels. It would also be advisable to keep the bolts off one of your existing Brescia alloys in your car in case you ever need to fit your space saver spare (the space saver uses the existing radius seat wheel bolts).

Lastly, fitting different wheels is a modification, so you’d need to let your insurer know. My insurer didn’t change my premium when I advised them I’d be fitting different wheels - they just wanted to know the value of the wheels.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Thanks again SRGTD, great advice that's really helpful.

Need to start looking for some Alloys that match the existing setup. That'll be a lot easier! :lol:
steeve
Bronze Member
Drives: Mk10 GTI+

Post by steeve »

Not today but yesterday, spent at least four hours cleaning my wifes GTI, it looked stunning, but today she has to pop out to Aldi in the pouring rain.
Never mind...............
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

steeve wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:44 pm Not today but yesterday, spent at least four hours cleaning my wifes GTI, it looked stunning, but today she has to pop out to Aldi in the pouring rain.
Never mind...............
Yes, it can be a bit demoralising at this time of year as the result of any car cleaning efforts are usually pretty short-lived. Summertime can also be a pain, trying to keep on top of removing the accumulations of squashed, baked on bugs - if left on the paintwork, some of their bodily fluids are quite acidic and can etch into the paintwork.

I had to go out in my car this morning (White GTI+). If was fairly clean when I set out and it wasn’t raining at the time. However, it was raining on the journey home and my car looked pretty grubby by the time I got home. I did wax it last week so the dirt was struggling to cling to the paintwork. After after leaving it out in the rain for a couple of hours, most of the dirt was washed off by the rain. I’ll give it a proper clean over the Christmas / New Year period.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

White cars are a joy, they take ages to look dirty and are so easy to clean.
I also enjoy the de-tar process (I use neat Tardis on a rag, run it over the panels and leave it to melt).
Black cars....oh my god black cars....swore I'd never have black again and I'm on my second black Polo in 2 years.... :?
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

I’ve had both black and white cars and of the two colours, white would be my preference these days. A black car does look great just after washing but IMO it’s a labour of love to keep it looking that way.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:49 pm I’ve had both black and white cars and of the two colours, white would be my preference these days. A black car does look great just after washing but IMO it’s a labour of love to keep it looking that way.
Wife's Evoque and daughter's Mii are white, I so wanted white as well just for the sheer ease of maintenance.

*wanted* white Gti+
*got* black Gti

:( :D
Rampolo
New
Drives: Mk10

Post by Rampolo »

Scotty_boy vw wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:44 pm Today I changed my rear diffuser to this one.
7FD531C2-E124-4D32-84EC-25EDDEE76FD9.jpeg

Also added Heated Windscreen Washer Jets.5AA1FE47-2020-4310-8B94-E9F31EA3E112.jpeg

And also added Rear LED Footwell Lights.
BA6FC20F-3867-4F01-B36F-BC52D74E2161.jpeg

Scott
hi scotty,
i'm interested in retrofitting the heated windshield washer sprays. The ground wire is clear to me, but the other pin I don't know where to connect it. At first to the BCM of the car but if you are kind enough to tell me the pin number you connected it to. thanks :wink:
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Haven't really done anything with the car, but today had some Headlights Eyebrow tints arrive. Planning to get that little white section above the front grill wrapped when things ease up a bit with COVID. As with most of the UK the weather is awful at the moment otherwise I'd get out there and wash the car / apply the Headlight tints!

Only a cheap little exterior modification. There's 3M tape on the back so looks very easy to install.

If anyone is interested I got mine from AliExpress for £12 (total). Only took 2 weeks for delivery which is pretty good going.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000177 ... 4c4dWrfsMO
Attachments
IMG_0537.jpeg
IMG_0537.jpeg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 6791 times
IMG_0246.JPG
IMG_0246.JPG (124.93 KiB) Viewed 6791 times
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

S_94 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:55 am Haven't really done anything with the car, but today had some Headlights Eyebrow tints arrive. Planning to get that little white section above the front grill wrapped when things ease up a bit with COVID. As with most of the UK the weather is awful at the moment otherwise I'd get out there and wash the car / apply the Headlight tints!

Only a cheap little exterior modification. There's 3M tape on the back so looks very easy to install.

If anyone is interested I got mine from AliExpress for £12 (total). Only took 2 weeks for delivery which is pretty good going.
@S_94; Look forward to seeing them on your car, along with the upper section of the grille wrapped in black vinyl.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

SRGTD wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:50 pm
S_94 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:55 am Haven't really done anything with the car, but today had some Headlights Eyebrow tints arrive. Planning to get that little white section above the front grill wrapped when things ease up a bit with COVID. As with most of the UK the weather is awful at the moment otherwise I'd get out there and wash the car / apply the Headlight tints!

@S_94; Look forward to seeing them on your car, along with the upper section of the grille wrapped in black vinyl.
Thanks mate! Will post some pictures when it's all done. :)
Iamnotbarry
New
Drives: GTi+ (aw)

Post by Iamnotbarry »

S_94 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:58 pm
SRGTD wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:50 pm

Thanks mate! Will post some pictures when it's all done. :)
you got a sweet deal for them as i paid 24 quid for mine from diversion.
i got mine sprayed reef blue to match the car
heres some before and after photos
20210122_145807 (2).jpg
20210122_145807 (2).jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 6717 times
20210122_145817.jpg
20210122_145817.jpg (1.76 MiB) Viewed 6717 times
20210122_150312 (2).jpg
20210122_150312 (2).jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 6717 times
20210122_150319.jpg
20210122_150319.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 6717 times
20210122_150323.jpg
20210122_150323.jpg (1.77 MiB) Viewed 6717 times
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

That looks really good mate! First time I've seen someone spray them, it definitely works. :)

I've noticed with Diversion they get the majority of their stock from AliExpress and just sell it for double the price so it's always worth checking. Obviously quicker delivery as they're UK based but can definitely work out cheaper if you're happy to wait for the delivery. Ordered a few things from AliExpress and the most I've waited is 4 weeks.

If you ever want the Race Design body kits I'd suggest buying directly from Race Design as Diversion didn't provide the self tapping screws to actually install it (and it's cheaper to buy direct).
Iamnotbarry
New
Drives: GTi+ (aw)

Post by Iamnotbarry »

S_94 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:35 pm That looks really good mate! First time I've seen someone spray them, it definitely works. :)

I've noticed with Diversion they get the majority of their stock from AliExpress and just sell it for double the price so it's always worth checking. Obviously quicker delivery as they're UK based but can definitely work out cheaper if you're happy to wait for the delivery. Ordered a few things from AliExpress and the most I've waited is 4 weeks.

If you ever want the Race Design body kits I'd suggest buying directly from Race Design as Diversion didn't provide the self tapping screws to actually install it (and it's cheaper to buy direct).
thanks, im happy with the outcome.
ill keep that in mind about diversion!
ive been looking at the maxton design diffuser as it looks slightly better than the race design diffuser in my opinion.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Good job there for relatively little outlay, looks more than alright....