Dashcam cable routing

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Dashcam cable routing

Post by monkeyhanger »

Nora wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:00 pm It’s easier for me to source & replace a blade fuse than a glass fuse. I once let the smoke genie out on another vehicle years ago by using too higher fuse, so waiting a couple of extra days for the fuses to arrive is insignificant as it’s working.
I need to check the 770’s settings because since I fitted the rear cam (powering the rig thru the cigarette socket) it keeps prompting me to reformat the memory card each time it starts up. So it’s either change settings or change memory card, the one that’s in is the one that came with it
Have you tried formatting the card on a computer first? I don't think I had any issues either way. My F770 seems to request a reformat about every fortnight.
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Post by stuartrendall »

Nora wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:00 pm It’s easier for me to source & replace a blade fuse than a glass fuse. I once let the smoke genie out on another vehicle years ago by using too higher fuse, so waiting a couple of extra days for the fuses to arrive is insignificant as it’s working.
I need to check the 770’s settings because since I fitted the rear cam (powering the rig thru the cigarette socket) it keeps prompting me to reformat the memory card each time it starts up. So it’s either change settings or change memory card, the one that’s in is the one that came with it
If you still can't figure out how to format it put it into a computer and if it's 32GB or less you can change the properties to FAT32 format by right clicking the storage location, but if its above 32GB there is free software you can install to partition it and make it FAT32 if you have any problems. I can't remember what the software is called but a simple FAT32 format google search should help.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Had an absolute nightmare directing the cabke for the rear dashcam through the tailgate. My usual method that's served me 4 times previously of threading the wire taped to the end of a straight ish wire coat hanger and fed through the path the central locking for the tailgate let me down. I had the end of the coat hanger through, but couldn't pull the wire through, and it wouldn't pull back out, there was about 3" of play either way but it was well and truly stuck. I fiddled on for about 40 mins. In the end I'd figured out that it must've been snagged on the side branch of wiring that served the heated windscreen. I popped the plug and through the tiny hole, I could see that was the case. With a lot of fiddling over 15 mins, I managed to unsnag it and pull it back out. I put some more tape on the plug end to wire coat hanger to taper it a bit more and fed it back in it fed right through as intended. Sorted plugging in and securing the excess lead length and banged the tailgate cover back on.

I also washed the car and gave it a coat of C2V3 so the oaintwork feels Teflon coated.

Just need to order the fuse tappers as my elusive pair can't be found. 5 min job to finish when they turn up.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Tappers arrived yesterday so a quick 10 min job to connect to the fusebox, 10 mins to set up the dashcam preferred settings and a drive to Costco to check everything's working. All good. At some point, I might get around to doing the rear cam section of my "how to" guide from earlier in the thread, I took plenty of pics.
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

Update: the camera is now no longer asking for reformatting.
The hardwire power supply is connected albeit with 5amp blade fuses in the tappers instead of the 2amps I intended to use, as I’m still waiting for the eBay package to arrive 2 weeks after I ordered.
I’ve set the parking mode to motion detection with the sensitivity at the lowest as I’m getting multiple false recordings of events, is there anything that I can do to minimise these false positives, or is this is the way it works and I’m overthinking it?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Nora wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:26 am Update: the camera is now no longer asking for reformatting.
The hardwire power supply is connected albeit with 5amp blade fuses in the tappers instead of the 2amps I intended to use, as I’m still waiting for the eBay package to arrive 2 weeks after I ordered.
I’ve set the parking mode to motion detection with the sensitivity at the lowest as I’m getting multiple false recordings of events, is there anything that I can do to minimise these false positives, or is this is the way it works and I’m overthinking it?
Don't fret about the fuses, glass fuses are there just in case and between my 2 cars I have 7 years operational use on the 2 F770s and have never popped a fuse yet.

Parking mode should be medium or low (depending how busy your usual parking place is. I'd set your card recording to profile C to give parking mode a reasonable allocation on the card so it isn't writing over what it's recorded within a few hours.
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:29 pm Don't fret about the fuses, glass fuses are there just in case and between my 2 cars I have 7 years operational use on the 2 F770s and have never popped a fuse yet.
Ironically the fuses I was waiting for turned up in the post an hour after I made the post, so they are installed and all is good
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:29 pm Parking mode should be medium or low (depending how busy your usual parking place is. I'd set your card recording to profile C to give parking mode a reasonable allocation on the card so it isn't writing over what it's recorded within a few hours.
The advice about using profile C is a good call, the sensitivity is down to low as I live on the end of a road next to a nursing home and at shift change the camera was activating continuously and I was getting 70+ Motion recordings on medium, now it’s on low I only get notifications of 5-10 Motion recordings when I get in the car. Now with it finally being hardwired I’m able to get the benefit of all the features of the F770 that where not available while I was using the front cam powered by the cigarette lead

Thanks for your help :D
kieranhendy
New
Drives: Polo AW R-Line 2019

Post by kieranhendy »

I know I’m late to reply but since people still seem to be using this thread...
I have my dash cam wire in the headlining (you can pull it slightly closest to the windshield) and it runs along out of sight to the A pillar trim piece where it then goes inside that and runs down to the dashboard, from there it goes inside the rubber door seal bit and to the passenger footwell. It then goes up behind the carpet and along to the centre console. Didn’t have to remove any trim pieces to hide the cable and it’s not fell out.
neilltupman
New
Drives: 2018 1.0 SE Tsi

Post by neilltupman »

Hi there - indirect question; where can I get a fuse box layout for the mk10? I've searched high and low, and can't find one. In fact this thread is the only Google hit I got with photos that match mine. Background, my wife's 2018 SE Tsi wiper washer pump isn't working, and I want to check the fuse first. Any help appreciated, many thanks.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

neilltupman wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:49 am Hi there - indirect question; where can I get a fuse box layout for the mk10? I've searched high and low, and can't find one. In fact this thread is the only Google hit I got with photos that match mine. Background, my wife's 2018 SE Tsi wiper washer pump isn't working, and I want to check the fuse first. Any help appreciated, many thanks.
Would there not be a diagram in your owners manual?
neilltupman
New

Post by neilltupman »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:02 pm
neilltupman wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:49 am Hi there - indirect question; where can I get a fuse box layout for the mk10? I've searched high and low, and can't find one. In fact this thread is the only Google hit I got with photos that match mine. Background, my wife's 2018 SE Tsi wiper washer pump isn't working, and I want to check the fuse first. Any help appreciated, many thanks.
Would there not be a diagram in your owners manual?
That was the first place I looked. There's no diagram in mine, just a paragraph saying 'at the time of publication a layout is not available'.

S_94 has posted pictures of their manual with a layout in my other thread, but this doesnt mention a wiper washer pump fuse. Perhaps there's another fuse box in the engine compartment, but my manual doesn't have any diagrams nonetheless.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

There is a small fuse box in theengine compartment. The manual is woeful in identifying more than a handful of fuses. The should map out each one with numbers, what it serves and fuse amperage - they used to.
neilltupman
New

Post by neilltupman »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:17 pm There is a small fuse box in theengine compartment. The manual is woeful in identifying more than a handful of fuses. The should map out each one with numbers, what it serves and fuse amperage - they used to.
Yep, this! Just out in the car now and found the engine compartment one. Checked the fuses in there are they all look fine. Its got to be one of the ones in the driver's side compartment next to the steering column, but like you say the list us incomplete. Phone the dealer?
breeza
New
Drives: Reflex silver SEL 110ps

Post by breeza »

About to get a couple of dashcams for my Polo and this post has been very helpful. Thanks.

Wanting to hardwire for parking mode so looking at a permanent 12v supply. I see the 40 amp central locking fuse has been suggested to tap but looking into the specs of most of these fuse taps, they all appear to be rated for either 20 or 30 amps. Went hunting for an alternative supply and the highlighted F34 appears to be an unused permanent supply so will give that a go when my cameras arrive.

Attachments
Fuses.jpg
Fuses.jpg (977.88 KiB) Viewed 1241 times
breeza
New
Drives: Reflex silver SEL 110ps

Post by breeza »

What is this thing that I found just hanging freely in the fuse box compartment? Looks like some kind of speaker.
IMG_0154.jpeg
IMG_0154.jpeg (48.72 KiB) Viewed 1218 times