Help! Rear wheel humming noise. Polo GTi

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member
Drives: R Line Polo

Re: Help! Rear wheel humming noise. Polo GTi

Post by Vonbek2004 »

Hi all,

So as mentioned in previous posts I was looking at rejecting my vehicle, which they have upheld given I reported the issue within the allowed time frame (consumer rights)

Now I am in a conundrum!

I have been informed by VWFS that there was another software update issued in March 2020 to do with the mooing noise. My car was last in garage Feb 2020.

Has anyone had this update on their car? VWFS advises this was published sometime after the 10/03.

Should I allow VW to run their March Fix and see what happens or proceed with the rejection. Now the only issue with the car is this mooing noise other than it’s been reliable, thirsty but reliable [emoji3]

What’s everyone’s thoughts or what would you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ima
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTi+ on order

Post by Ima »

Well if this is the only issue and you enjoy the car trying the fix seems sensible on the basis that you can proceed with rejection if it doesn’t work. That’s what I’d do as it would bug me not knowing as if it does work then you know you have a good car to keep rather than try Ito find something else which itself may not be without some issue.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Vonbek2004 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:55 pm Hi all,

So as mentioned in previous posts I was looking at rejecting my vehicle, which they have upheld given I reported the issue within the allowed time frame (consumer rights)

Now I am in a conundrum!

I have been informed by VWFS that there was another software update issued in March 2020 to do with the mooing noise. My car was last in garage Feb 2020.

Has anyone had this update on their car? VWFS advises this was published sometime after the 10/03.

Should I allow VW to run their March Fix and see what happens or proceed with the rejection. Now the only issue with the car is this mooing noise other than it’s been reliable, thirsty but reliable [emoji3]

Had the latest update on the wife's car 2 weeks ago at its first service. They updated the ABS controller. In my opinion it hasn't worked as well as the update to my 2018 GTI+. There has to be a difference in the way the brakes work between the 2 cars because the brakes on the 2019 one (wife's) are grabber and the pedal is firmer.

There will be an easy fix to this, either a change in pads or discs to something non-OEM, it's just resonance transfer that needs damping.

If you want to reject for mooing, don't wait for this update to fix because it won't.
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member

Post by Vonbek2004 »

monkeyhanger wrote:
Vonbek2004 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:55 pm Hi all,

Now I am in a conundrum!

Had the latest update on the wife's car 2 weeks ago at its first service. They updated the ABS controller. In my opinion it hasn't worked as well as the update to my 2018 GTI+. There has to be a difference in the way the brakes work between the 2 cars because the brakes on the 2019 one (wife's) are grabber and the pedal is firmer.

There will be an easy fix to this, either a change in pads or discs to something non-OEM, it's just resonance transfer that needs damping.

If you want to reject for mooing, don't wait for this update to fix because it won't.
Thanks for the advice!

I’ve decided I am going to allow them to complete the fix, should that not work then I am going to try the option you said, which was replacing the discs and pads with aftermarkets.

I really don’t want to hand the car back as I love it and I don’t think I’ll be able to get something of the same calibre, plus there is all the money etc I’ll lose with 18months of ownership.

I’ve tired to find aftermarkets but not had much luck and wouldn’t know which to buy either. Any ideas?

monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Wouldn't know which ones to pick size wise or whether different pads on OEM discs or different discs on OEM pads would solve it on their own or if you have to go the full hog to replace discs and pads.

I'd be wanting to find out what brands the OEM parts are too. If VW fit brand X you.want to replace with brand Y, not brand X.

Looking on a website like Euro Car Parts, when you put the car details in, you should see their choices for your car.
deanjesper
New
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by deanjesper »

I had my car booked in for March before lockdown and it was cancelled. Finally had it rebooked in last week. It went in and they said there was a software update (which matches what you guys have said above) so they did that, took it out for a drive and they can still hear the noise. Luckily they've captured it and have sent it off to VW for review. I'm not really sure what will happen next...
deanjesper
New
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by deanjesper »

Sorry for the double post but I just wanted to update on my situation. So my car went in last Thursday and was told that there was a TPI outstanding for a software update. They applied the software update and the mooing was still happening. They've captured the sound and sent it to VW and VW have come back and said that they're investigating into a new TPI for a fix. So it sounds like they have no idea...
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member

Post by Vonbek2004 »

Hi all.

Just an update.

So my car is off to the garage again for another update, this update was released from VW around mid-March..

Let you know how it goes but I am not convinced it’s going to fix the humming issue..

I might end up doing what monkeyhanger suggested and start looking at aftermarket pads and discs as a possible resolution..
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Post by stuartrendall »

This may be a bit of a long shot but what wheels do people with mooing brakes have. I myself have not YET experienced this with the stock 17" parkers. Maybe it could possibly be a resonance in the alloy itself. Like I said though, this could be a long shot.
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member

Post by Vonbek2004 »

stuartrendall wrote:This may be a bit of a long shot but what wheels do people with mooing brakes have. I myself have not YET experienced this with the stock 17" parkers. Maybe it could possibly be a resonance in the alloy itself. Like I said though, this could be a long shot.
I’ve currently got the 18” wheels..
Have to see what others advise though..
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@stuartrendall; that’s an interesting theory that it might only be cars with 18” Brescia alloys that have mooing brakes.

Curiosity got the better of me so I did a bit of digging. Forum member Trantor had the mooing issue with their car’s brakes and they have 17” Parker alloys, so it doesn’t seem to be just cars with 18” alloys that have the mooing issue.

It was a good shout though.
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

I'm also on 17s with the mooing. Nearly at 7k miles.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

Vonbek2004
Bronze Member

Post by Vonbek2004 »

Haha well that was a pointless drive to the local dealership!

So VWFS advised that there was a new software update, so all booked In only to be told by my local dealer that there is no new update and the only thing that changed was the number of the TPI code identifier, the update is the same as what my car has. [emoji2357]

My decision is to keep the car anyways even though I have the opportunity to return as it’s too much hassle and lost money to change so early in my agreement. I have to taken into account gap insurance I purchased, extended service plans etc, so for a little bugging noise it’s not worth rejecting.

I am going to look at trying to resolve myself seeing as VW haven’t got a clue!
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Many years ago the discs and pads were replaced on one of my old Polo's and this was the first time I experienced mooing brakes. Since my Dad was in the motor trade at the time, I was able to return all the kit and get the upgraded equipment instead which solved the problem 100%. No more cows, yay.

My summation is VW are cheaping out on us big time (let’s be honest they've cut loads of costs) and use less expensive parts to save overall cost. I reckon by going to a reputable brake centre / shop /garage the problem could be resolved quickly but at OUR cost of course.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

Had mine in for service today, I asked for updates to be checked (the one on mine was already most current) and I also asked for my rear pads to be "roughed up", which they did, foolishly I never thought to ask if it would be chargeable due to several visits for mooing but I got stung £54 for that job, kicking myself now..........It has been raining here all day so tomorrow hopefully it will be dry and I can check for mooing.

Rest f the service was ok, they have ordered a new instrument cluster as apparently mine was throwing lots of errors when they plugged it in, I have never seen a warning light in 2 years, strange