Help! Rear wheel humming noise. Polo GTi

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
rm55mcc
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.4

Re: Help! Rear wheel humming noise. Polo GTi

Post by rm55mcc »

This is 1st time i will be bringing the car in. By sounds off it , prob do the update and that will be it but more than likely wont fix the issue lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member
Drives: R Line Polo

Post by Vonbek2004 »

rm55mcc wrote:This is 1st time i will be bringing the car in. By sounds off it , prob do the update and that will be it but more than likely wont fix the issue lol

Yep you'll find it will last a few weeks and will then be royally "mooing" again. [emoji1751][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

rm55mcc
Silver Member

Post by rm55mcc »

Sounds like the brakes are not fully coming off the pads when going into reverse

Trantor
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Trantor »

Nodster wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:32 pm So tonight I noticed something, when reversing I put the car from D into R. Then lift off the brake but not all the way and allow the car to pull into wherever I am reversing. Modulating the brake as I go, and of course, getting the noise. So in no point during this process have I really left off the pedal.

Tonight, I did exactly the same but lifted off the brake completely, dabbed the accelerator (which was actually quite voracious for the fact I just touched it) then went back to just modulating the brake pedal. The noise stopped! I'm going to try it again tomorrow. Not wanting to get ahead of myself as it could have totally been a one off but... could touching the accelerator release the pads further from the disc and thus, eliminating the issue. :?:

Wondered if anyone else does what I does and perhaps could try and instead, come off the brake, tap the accelerator and then return to just using the brake for control.

Cheers.
Yes, I’ve tried that as well. When applying slight brake pressure the resonance is noticeably louder than when I take my foot off the brake and allow the car to reverse at idle speed. I only experience the noise first thing in the morning. Reversing later in the day makes no noise, even after car has been standing for some time and disks completely cold. I was going to remove one of the wheels and take a look myself at the pads and check for any extraneous play in the calliper. However, now VW appear to have a solution I’ll wait until the first service in about three months. Hopefully by then word may have filtered through to the dealerships.
rm55mcc
Silver Member

Post by rm55mcc »

Trantor wrote:
Nodster wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:32 pm So tonight I noticed something, when reversing I put the car from D into R. Then lift off the brake but not all the way and allow the car to pull into wherever I am reversing. Modulating the brake as I go, and of course, getting the noise. So in no point during this process have I really left off the pedal.

Tonight, I did exactly the same but lifted off the brake completely, dabbed the accelerator (which was actually quite voracious for the fact I just touched it) then went back to just modulating the brake pedal. The noise stopped! I'm going to try it again tomorrow. Not wanting to get ahead of myself as it could have totally been a one off but... could touching the accelerator release the pads further from the disc and thus, eliminating the issue. :?:

Wondered if anyone else does what I does and perhaps could try and instead, come off the brake, tap the accelerator and then return to just using the brake for control.

Cheers.
Yes, I’ve tried that as well. When applying slight brake pressure the resonance is noticeably louder than when I take my foot off the brake and allow the car to reverse at idle speed. I only experience the noise first thing in the morning. Reversing later in the day makes no noise, even after car has been standing for some time and disks completely cold. I was going to remove one of the wheels and take a look myself at the pads and check for any extraneous play in the calliper. However, now VW appear to have a solution I’ll wait until the first service in about three months. Hopefully by then word may have filtered through to the dealerships.
What solution do they have??
Thanks

Trantor
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Trantor »

Based on post by deanjesper, bottom of page 8, VW has put it down to a design issue with the pad.
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member

Post by Vonbek2004 »

I was in VW Monday and they said there is no new declared fix by VW factory.

I was told that there is a software update for the abs module but that was it, no mention of pads being the issue. I already have the latest update.

rm55mcc
Silver Member

Post by rm55mcc »

Vonbek2004 wrote:I was in VW Monday and they said there is no new declared fix by VW factory.

I was told that there is a software update for the abs module but that was it, no mention of pads being the issue. I already have the latest update.

Does the update make any difference??

Vonbek2004
Bronze Member

Post by Vonbek2004 »

rm55mcc wrote:
Vonbek2004 wrote:I was in VW Monday and they said there is no new declared fix by VW factory.

Does the update make any difference??

Nope because I still have the mooing noise even with the update.

rm55mcc
Silver Member

Post by rm55mcc »

So went VW today had car looked at , says needs new rear discs and this should sort the mooing sound ..

Vonbek2004
Bronze Member

Post by Vonbek2004 »

rm55mcc wrote:So went VW today had car looked at , says needs new rear discs and this should sort the mooing sound ..

Ok, just so you know I had my discs and pads replaced last year and the noise returned within a couple of weeks.

Hopefully you are luckier than I..

rm55mcc
Silver Member

Post by rm55mcc »

I have now noticed after been in with them it has a knocking sound at low speed now [emoji2359]

Vonbek2004
Bronze Member

Post by Vonbek2004 »

rm55mcc wrote:I have now noticed after been in with them it has a knocking sound at low speed now [emoji2359]

Is it like a thump and then ok or a continuous knocking noise.

rm55mcc
Silver Member

Post by rm55mcc »

Continuos at low speed

Vonbek2004
Bronze Member

Post by Vonbek2004 »

Umm if it's something new mate get it back to the garage and tell them...