Help! Rear wheel humming noise. Polo GTi

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
deanjesper
New
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: Help! Rear wheel humming noise. Polo GTi

Post by deanjesper »

Had to postpone last Wednesday so it’s going in on Friday. I’ll update once I know more on Friday. It doesn’t fill me with much hope considering others have had pads and discs replaced to no avail and some dealerships are saying there’s no fix!

Also it’s so loud now so definitely not something I can live with. If they won’t fix it I’ll get rid. Shame really...
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Such a strange issue as the last week or so the mooing has been very minimal (non existent some days). All of a sudden though it can be really loud. Would love to know the cause of the problem.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

I was driving the wife's car today and the rear squeal started. I reversed about a foot, stopped, pushed hard on the brake pedal, then carried on without a sound.

Her squealing wipers weren't squealing today. I checked the driving mode hers was in because hers felt so sluggish in the mid range uptake, like mine in eco mode. Having a GPF definitely seems to have a very noticeable penalty in the mid range.
rm55mcc
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.4

Post by rm55mcc »

Had car in this morn, new discs fitted at the back no more annoying sound but how long will it last lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
deanjesper
New

Post by deanjesper »

Car has been in today and they’ve said that the brake pads are new and there is no fault, which is different to what they told me before. They told me the pads were faulty and they’ve brought out a new design...

They said that water might be getting on the pads causing the noise. That’s ridiculous as it happens when it’s dry.

They then tried to tell me that my rear wheel arch liner is slightly damaged which might be causing the noise and they won’t cover that under warranty.

They’re keeping it in overnight so they can road test it in the morning but I’m getting sick of VW. It’s been in and out 4 times since January.
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member
Drives: R Line Polo

Post by Vonbek2004 »

deanjesper wrote:Car has been in today and they’ve said that the brake pads are new and there is no fault, which is different to what they told me before. They told me the pads were faulty and they’ve brought out a new design...

They said that water might be getting on the pads causing the noise. That’s ridiculous as it happens when it’s dry.

They then tried to tell me that my rear wheel arch liner is slightly damaged which might be causing the noise and they won’t cover that under warranty.

They’re keeping it in overnight so they can road test it in the morning but I’m getting sick of VW. It’s been in and out 4 times since January.
Sorry to hear that the feedback wasn't great. It feels like I'm reading my own experience but through someone else. [emoji17]

Reading through this post which is quite active, seems to me that VW hasn't got a clue what is causing the issue.

As previously mentioned I'm in the process of a rejection as I reported the issue within a month of owning and gave VW ample opportunity to fix but to no prevail, so I had to follow a process.
1. Gave dealer plenty of time to rectify
2. Raised complaint with VW UK
3. Second opinion with another VW garage.
4. Raise with finance company as rejection
5. Wait potentially 8 weeks for resolution.

If you decide to go down the rejection route, I'd like to warn you that's it's a long an convoluted process.

VW financial services had my complaint for 6.5 weeks before it was assigned to a complaints handler!

Though it's a pain you need to keep the heat on VW at all times.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@Vonbek2004; are you able to post a video recording of the noise so those of us without a current model Polo GTI / GTI+ can hear how bad it is? I can only assume it must be pretty bad rather than a mild inconvenience for you to go through the process of rejecting your car.
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member

Post by Vonbek2004 »

SRGTD wrote:@Vonbek2004; are you able to post a video recording of the noise so those of us without a current model Polo GTI / GTI+ can hear how bad it is? I can only assume it must be pretty bad rather than a mild inconvenience for you to go through the process of rejecting your car.
I was unable to post the video on here due to the file size but if you go to the following link, it will take you to my YouTube channel where I created a video.

https://youtu.be/x5Lc02rN5Uo

Vonbek2004
Bronze Member

Post by Vonbek2004 »

Hopefully this helps.
Please bear in mind that the sound is coming from a dashcam mic and is actually alot louder when sitting in the car.

This video is the loudest it has ever been. I also posted another video for earlier videos.

SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Vonbek2004 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:13 pm
SRGTD wrote:@Vonbek2004; are you able to post a video recording of the noise so those of us without a current model Polo GTI / GTI+ can hear how bad it is? I can only assume it must be pretty bad rather than a mild inconvenience for you to go through the process of rejecting your car.
I was unable to post the video on here due to the file size but if you go to the following link, it will take you to my YouTube channel where I created a video.

Thanks. Yes, that’s quite loud and noticeable.
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member

Post by Vonbek2004 »

SRGTD wrote:
Vonbek2004 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:13 pm

Thanks. Yes, that’s quite loud and noticeable.
No worries.
It has got louder since I reported last year.

I get it pretty much everytime I reverse aswell..

S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Posted this back in November regarding the noise - https://streamable.com/jpk9j
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member

Post by Vonbek2004 »

S_94 wrote:Posted this back in November regarding the noise - https://streamable.com/jpk9j
Nearly as loud as mine..
I don't know how VW can deem it "acceptable"

stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Post by stuartrendall »

Vonbek2004 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:38 pm
S_94 wrote:Posted this back in November regarding the noise - https://streamable.com/jpk9j
Nearly as loud as mine..
I don't know how VW can deem it "acceptable"

Has anyone thought of sticking a Go-Pro inside their wheel arch somewhere to see if they can see any signs of rubbing or vibration? Just an idea.
Dannn_14
New
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI+

Post by Dannn_14 »

Yeah and here's the sound from mine: https://youtu.be/w4Az_gVdnnU

It got progressively worse in the months following on from that video (recorded around August time and I had the pads and discs replaced around 3 months later in November).

Sadly the noise has started to come back, but nowhere near as loud as it was in the same timeframe of owning the car.

My car's at the dealership at the minute fixing another problem (don't ask :cry: ) and I asked to see if there was any news from VW about new pads/discs as someone commented earlier that there was, unfortunately they told me that there wasn't.

Fair play to you guys that are rejecting the car; I considered it, but can't be dealing with the hassle and besides, I'm quite enjoying the VW Up! courtesy car that I've got at the minute :lol: .