Hill Assist / maneuvre braking standard on polo se?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Hill Assist / maneuvre braking standard on polo se?

Post by monkeyhanger »

lancslad1985 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:43 am
SRGTD wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:55 pm
Ping wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:50 pm I also notice my maual Polo AW seems to have some kind of hill hold while driving in slope during rush hours. Weird that VW havent mentioned this in ther their brochure.
Gotta read through the car manual more extensiv some day.
Hill hold is a standard feature on all Polo AW models in the UK. It is mentioned in the UK brochure.
I was going to say my gti definitely has it. I miss the system on my golf and troc with the electric handbrake. Never had any issues with those cars, but people seem to dislike electric handbrakes. I also find that, with earlier polos having issues with the handbrake (my wife’s was one of them), I don’t trust this manual one quite the same.
I think electronic handbrakes are great. Had them on 2 MK7 Golf's, my A4 and now the ID3, really don't get what's not to like. Infinite auto hold with the ignition on and then it auto winds the rears on when you leave the car. Never need to touch it. Only potential issue is if someone needs to inch into a confined area and you want to be prevent the grab to stop at the delicate end of brake pressure- you then flick the switch off.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:00 am , really don't get what's not to like.
For me it's a driver aid taken away from me, but to those who've only ever used a handbrake for hills/parking then it won't be a big deal.
And they're becoming the norm, so just have to deal with it. :(
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:25 pm [quote=monkeyhanger post_id=582924 time=<a href="tel:1621501248">1621501248</a> user_id=26376]
, really don't get what's not to like.
For me it's a driver aid taken away from me, but to those who've only ever used a handbrake for hills/parking then it won't be a big deal.
And they're becoming the norm, so just have to deal with it. :(
[/quote]

And you can’t do a handbrake turn with electric handbrakes, but I don’t feel the need with the GTI.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

lancslad1985 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:48 pm And you can’t do a handbrake turn with electric handbrakes, but I don’t feel the need with the GTI.
A good handbrake turn has helped me out of many a predicament.
Like one narrow road near me that can suffer from queues, but is a pain to do a three-pointer on to go the other way.
Handbrake turn gets you facing the other way in seconds.
German_Fartbox
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2.0 DSG (2020)

Post by German_Fartbox »

SCGB wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:22 am Hi all,

Got a 2018 Polo SE - haven't had a chance to test this but thought I'd ask..

Does hill assist come standard ? In my manual it sounds like it does but I've also read something about a green indicator on the dash when it's active, which I haven't seen.

Also manouvre braking - how do I know if my polo has this? I've got the parking sensors and they turn red when I'm close to something - but I haven't got the balls to see if it works :D

Cheers
My 2018 SE had both, only upgrades I put on that car were the engine and wheels. As far as I'm aware it was standard. The auto break is standard throughout I thought - You could test this by reversing into a friend slowly (try at your own risk :D) ? My friend got no upgrades on his SE, same year, same time in the dealer actually and his has both of these features as well.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

The auto brake was a real pain in the backside in my 95tsi Polo, it would trigger all the damn time.
It would also slam the brakes on when I went to go through a narrow archway into my mate's parking area, which was downright embarrassing if you had people in - it literally made people jump and scream because it honestly felt like I'd hit the wall.
The GTi doesn't seem so fussy, thank god.
German_Fartbox
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2.0 DSG (2020)

Post by German_Fartbox »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:06 pm The auto brake was a real pain in the backside in my 95tsi Polo, it would trigger all the damn time.
It would also slam the brakes on when I went to go through a narrow archway into my mate's parking area, which was downright embarrassing if you had people in - it literally made people jump and scream because it honestly felt like I'd hit the wall.
The GTi doesn't seem so fussy, thank god.
My 2018 95 was exactly the same. Breaking alarm used to come on all the time, auto break a few times as well. GTI barely ever comes on, initially I thought it was a fault on the GTI until my mate from the VW dealership sent me a pic of my old Polo in the dealership garage telling me the front sensor was being replaced. So maybe is was knackered all along? Not sure if the front parking and breaking are the same sensor of which one if not the same was being replaced though.