Anyone had forced GPF regens yet?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Gueron
New
Drives: Polo 1.0tsi 95hp

Re: Anyone had forced GPF regens yet?

Post by Gueron »

Another run today, did a longer distance (45 miles round trip) to ensure temperature was up, and used extensive cruise control.
Before I left my reading was 1730mg, back home it went down to 1728mg, yes you read that right -2mg !!!!! I wonder whether
one of my sensors is not properly measuring, say for instance the differential exhaust pressure or the filter temperature.
Perhaps I will try a short low temperature drive to an from the shops to see if I can make it go up in the other direction..

I have also tried to launch a forced static regeneration with OBD11, as per instructions for a diesel particle filter. But this would
not start either.

I am at lost to know what next other than taking the car back to the garage as per February.
If we weren't in lockdown I could take it for a long drive, even getting as far as reaching a section of dual cariageway or motorway
(neither of which I have locally...). It does not seem to make much sense just putting miles on the clock for no apparent gain.

Teee, could you kindly give me a few readouts of your particle filter soot level and some idea of the distances driven ?
Just so that I can get an idea how your car varies over time .. as a baseline. Thanks for any help.

Gueron
Gueron
New

Post by Gueron »

SUCCESS !!

At last sorted. Yesterday was a mild day before a cold spell today. Also we entered a "relaxed" lockdown in France with more
shops allowed to open. I drove 25 miles at a mostly constant 50 mph on the B road to a nearby town, then sped along the
bypass /motorway for 15 miles at 80 mph. Stopped to do a OBD11 readout and I was down to 0mg... When I left home I was
at around 1740mg. Did some christmas shopping, and drove "normally" back home, with 4mg added.

So at least now I know, my head scratching lasted too long. Next time just go staight there, do the etra 70 miles or so
including the high speed motorway spurt and clear the filter. These weeks I did probably 300 miles partly blocked with +15 to
+20% more fuel used and little change in the filter state. This could have gone on quite some time with the colder weather in
the winter.

Gueron
Teee
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo gti +

Post by Teee »

Gueron wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:52 pm Another run today, did a longer distance (45 miles round trip) to ensure temperature was up, and used extensive cruise control.
Before I left my reading was 1730mg, back home it went down to 1728mg, yes you read that right -2mg !!!!! I wonder whether
one of my sensors is not properly measuring, say for instance the differential exhaust pressure or the filter temperature.
Perhaps I will try a short low temperature drive to an from the shops to see if I can make it go up in the other direction..

I have also tried to launch a forced static regeneration with OBD11, as per instructions for a diesel particle filter. But this would
not start either.

I am at lost to know what next other than taking the car back to the garage as per February.
If we weren't in lockdown I could take it for a long drive, even getting as far as reaching a section of dual cariageway or motorway
(neither of which I have locally...). It does not seem to make much sense just putting miles on the clock for no apparent gain.

Teee, could you kindly give me a few readouts of your particle filter soot level and some idea of the distances driven ?
Just so that I can get an idea how your car varies over time .. as a baseline. Thanks for any help.

Gueron

After 40miles since I last checked it’s dropped to 18.4% it was 19.2% driving style was mixed, apparently the last forced regeneration was 145.63 hours. Are these the correct readouts?
Attachments
9FE05B64-38C1-471C-9A90-54047734C94D.png
9FE05B64-38C1-471C-9A90-54047734C94D.png (404.35 KiB) Viewed 4923 times
F033759C-2FFA-458C-8262-266C596E888F.png
F033759C-2FFA-458C-8262-266C596E888F.png (411.2 KiB) Viewed 4923 times
Gueron
New

Post by Gueron »

Hi Teee,

thanks for the update. I look at the soot mass weight in mg, and % blockage. My burn-off took me from 1742mg to 0, and 27% to 0.
At the same time it did not register that my regeneration was just 0kms before, only that the forced regeneration by the garage
(february) had been 8000kms earlier (strange). Apparently the ash level is from engine oil and only the soot is from fuel particles.

It appears that under "normal" driving, as in your case Teee, the soot level can go up and down according to distance, temperature,
speed, and so on. Only once in "active" regeneration, after going over some limit (say 40% blocage ??), the dashboard tells you to
keep the revs up and the engine management goes into higher fuel consumption mode to get the exhaust temperature up and create
conditions to help burn-off.

Back into "normal" mode again I expect my short drives, and colder weather wil just lead me to accumulate soot again over time.
If it is only say 10mg per cold start, the build-up rate should be sufficiently low that by the spring or summer I can do a spurt down
the motorway and burn it off without going into forced regeneration again.

Also between 1.0l tsi and 1.5l evo or 2.0l gti engines I imagine the filter size and soot grammage will be different

Gueron
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

I have yet to experience what you fellows are all talking about which made me wonder if this vehicle of mine has a GPF or not, its a 2019 (May) model. Today I had the opportunity to look under the car since it was in to rotate tyres. Please take a look at these images and let me know if the GPF is equipped:
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (113.33 KiB) Viewed 4850 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (131.86 KiB) Viewed 4850 times
Thank you.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:36 pm I have yet to experience what you fellows are all talking about which made me wonder if this vehicle of mine has a GPF or not, its a 2019 (May) model. Today I had the opportunity to look under the car since it was in to rotate tyres. Please take a look at these images and let me know if the GPF is equipped:

Capture2.JPG
Capture.JPG

Thank you.
Yes, the bulky part in the second image is your opf/gpf.
ho8882000
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 (AW)

Post by ho8882000 »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:36 pm I have yet to experience what you fellows are all talking about which made me wonder if this vehicle of mine has a GPF or not, its a 2019 (May) model. Today I had the opportunity to look under the car since it was in to rotate tyres. Please take a look at these images and let me know if the GPF is equipped:

Capture2.JPG
Capture.JPG

Thank you.
That bulk thing in the second photo could be a GPF or a 2nd catalytic converter.
If you see a "Temperature Sender / Sensor" fixed on the exhaust pipe after the "Bulk thing", then that "Bulk thing" is a GPF, otherwise it is just a 2nd catalytic converter.

On the other hand, check your car's PR Code and look up the exhaust parts on ETKA, then you can be 100% sure if your car is equipped with GPF or not.

But if I remember correctly, all VW sold by VWSA in South Africa are not equipped with GPF up to at least MY20.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

ho8882000 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:39 pm

Capture2.JPG
Capture.JPG

Thank you.
That bulk thing in the second photo could be a GPF or a 2nd catalytic converter.
If you see a "Temperature Sender / Sensor" fixed on the exhaust pipe after the "Bulk thing", then that "Bulk thing" is a GPF, otherwise it is just a 2nd catalytic converter.

On the other hand, check your car's PR Code and look up the exhaust parts on ETKA, then you can be 100% sure if your car is equipped with GPF or not.

But if I remember correctly, all VW sold by VWSA in South Africa are not equipped with GPF up to at least MY20.
As far as I am aware there are no UK polos with 2 cats. Only the 1 so it is most definitely a GPF/OPF
ho8882000
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 (AW)

Post by ho8882000 »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:16 pm
ho8882000 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:39 pm

Capture2.JPG
Capture.JPG

Thank you.

As far as I am aware there are no UK polos with 2 cats. Only the 1 so it is most definitely a GPF/OPF
If my memory is correct, OomStu_ZA and his Polo are living in South Africa.

Both me and you are just some guys behind the keyboard on internet, why don't we look at VW's technical drawings and let the official VW repair manual talks.

I captured the following 2 picture from the VW repair manual of the "2.0 l, 4 V, EA 888 gen III" engine, with engine code: CZPA / CZPB / CZPC / DKZA / DKZC.

The following is a picture of the exhaust system without GPF, look at item 10 which is the "Bulk thing" and it is a 2nd catalytic converter, and item 6 is the 1st catalytic converter of the exhaust system:
No GPF.jpg
No GPF.jpg (232.22 KiB) Viewed 4769 times

The following is a picture of the exhaust system with GPF, look at item 8 which is the "Bulk thing" and it is a GPF, and item 18 is the catalytic converter of the exhaust system:
With GPF.jpg
With GPF.jpg (421.44 KiB) Viewed 4769 times
So, according to the official VW technical drawings that "Bulk thing" could be a GPF or a 2nd catalytic converter.

Another easy way to tell if you have a GPF or not:
If that "Bulk thing" is a GPF, it should have temperature senders fixed on the exhaust pipe both before and after that "Bulk thing".

But the easiest and accurate way to check if a Polo has GPF or not, is to look at its PR codes and check out the parts drawing on ETKA.
Gueron
New

Post by Gueron »

Hi

Oom Stu those are interesting photos, and Ho8882000 those are some useful technical details - thanks to both of you !
It confirms that the GPF temperature will surely be impacted by the outside temperature. So in winter months it
is longer to get hot enough to burn-off.

I post my fuel consumption numbers on this web site : https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/. My polo is :
https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/1043833.html
I checked other users data with my engine, and came across someone else with some interesting numbers -
overall very good mpg, not driving a lot of miles per month, so could be short trips locally (shopping runabout, 2nd car..).
And also more interestingly last winter posted higher fuel consumption during filter regeneration (according to his note)
for some 1000 kms.
https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/931211.html
I have not checked out data on other VW engines.

Gueron
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Ja I have a few more images and no where can I see any probes or sensors after the "bulk" thing :P

I wonder if they didnt leave out the GPF in SA models to keep the cost down locally... since out air pollution isnt a problem for Government.
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:54 pm Normal mpg restored for the wife's GTI+ - Very close to the mpg I would expect for my 2018 model with no PPF. on a 35 mile tun each way to Teesside (40mpg) and to the Metrocentre (35mpg) over the weekend.

One thing I have noticed in driving the wife's car is that it runs a lot cooler than mine. My car's oil gets to 98C and stays there. My wife's gets to 91C and only a short bout of driving a bit harder (Uphill, dual carriageway) will get it up to 94C but is very eager to get back down to 91C when on 40mph roads.

My wife had my car yesterday - started it up and had a red warning for low coolant level. Turned it off and back on, and the warning went. I have looked at the level tonight and it is a little lower than the min mark, but still within the confines of the expansion tank. So I potentially have a coolant leak. Will have to keep an eye on it.

Coolant leak isn't an uncommon issue for VW Golfs.
Hi Monkeyhanger,
You posted this reply about a year ago, and spoke about the coolant level light coming on.
Did you ever have to top it up or get the leak checked out?

Just hit 10k miles on mine and got the same light flash up.
The level seems to be holding steady where it is, but it is quite a bit lower than the minimum line (still enough in the tank to keep the cooling system operational).

I'm going to top it up with the fight fluids soon, but would just like to know what came of your fluid level.

Cheers,
Matt
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

MattHGR wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:21 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:54 pm Normal mpg restored for the wife's GTI+ - Very close to the mpg I would expect for my 2018 model with no PPF. on a 35 mile tun each way to Teesside (40mpg) and to the Metrocentre (35mpg) over the weekend.

One thing I have noticed in driving the wife's car is that it runs a lot cooler than mine. My car's oil gets to 98C and stays there. My wife's gets to 91C and only a short bout of driving a bit harder (Uphill, dual carriageway) will get it up to 94C but is very eager to get back down to 91C when on 40mph roads.

My wife had my car yesterday - started it up and had a red warning for low coolant level. Turned it off and back on, and the warning went. I have looked at the level tonight and it is a little lower than the min mark, but still within the confines of the expansion tank. So I potentially have a coolant leak. Will have to keep an eye on it.

Coolant leak isn't an uncommon issue for VW Golfs.
Hi Monkeyhanger,
You posted this reply about a year ago, and spoke about the coolant level light coming on.
Did you ever have to top it up or get the leak checked out?

Just hit 10k miles on mine and got the same light flash up.
The level seems to be holding steady where it is, but it is quite a bit lower than the minimum line (still enough in the tank to keep the cooling system operational).

I'm going to top it up with the fight fluids soon, but would just like to know what came of your fluid level.

Cheers,
Matt
Topped the coolant up with about 3/4 of a litre when it happened and never had to do it since. Probably an airlock in the system when it was filled at the factory gave a false high reading to around the max mark. No signs of leakage (crystallisation of dried leaked fluid etc.) around any parts of the coolant system. It's been fine since. Same happened with my own 2018 GTI+.
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:30 am Ja I have a few more images and no where can I see any probes or sensors after the "bulk" thing :P

I wonder if they didnt leave out the GPF in SA models to keep the cost down locally... since out air pollution isnt a problem for Government.
Your car definitely has the GPF/OPF! The big bulky thing in your pictures is the GPF/OPF.
X11x11x11
New
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+

Post by X11x11x11 »

Just got back from my VW dealer as my 2019 Polo GTi+ 3k was running strange. Stop/start unavailable & he guessed at the filter doing a regen & he was correct. All ok now. I put super unleaded fuel in thinking dirty fuel/ not liking ordinary unleaded. Am I wasting my money on super unleaded?