Anyone had forced GPF regens yet?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: Anyone had forced GPF regens yet?

Post by OomStu_ZA »

I wonder then if outside temperature is a factor to consider? Here in ZAR our climate is pretty moderate and doesn’t get extremely cold (snow etc). Admittedly there was one day (a few months back) where I thought there was a real awful smell emitting from the vehicle once I'd parked up. Definitely wasn’t clutch/oil smell... so maybe that was its regen? :P
giannis159
Getting There!
Drives: polo aw Rline 1.0 115ps

Post by giannis159 »

Hello guys i own vw polo aw 1.0 tsi and i bought it on 02/19 in Greece how can i find if i have opf or not? I have 14.000km and i never noticed regen[emoji28]

Στάλθηκε από το MI 8 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

giannis159 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:21 pm Hello guys i own vw polo aw 1.0 tsi and i bought it on 02/19 in Greece how can i find if i have opf or not? I have 14.000km and i never noticed regen[emoji28]

I believe every car sold in Europe after Sep/Nov 2018 has had OPF filters. Someone correct me if I'm wrong :) .
giannis159
Getting There!
Drives: polo aw Rline 1.0 115ps

Post by giannis159 »

Yeah i ve Heard this again. Thr dealer has told me i think that my car produced in October 2018. I wil ask in the next service. thx!

Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

giannis159 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:21 pm Hello guys i own vw polo aw 1.0 tsi and i bought it on 02/19 in Greece how can i find if i have opf or not? I have 14.000km and i never noticed regen[emoji28]

I have gti made in mid november 2018 and Iam sure that it have OPF but after 23 000km I didn't noticed any regeneration either :D
Rocky5
New
Drives: POLO GTI Plus (2019)

Post by Rocky5 »

Does the forced Regn. warning light/ Symbol appear on the console? Just wonder how one knows when this function is carried.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Rocky5 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:34 pm Does the forced Regn. warning light/ Symbol appear on the console? Just wonder how one knows when this function is carried.
That only happens when you absolutely must do it - as directed by the car to take a decent length journey to avoid limp mode.

My wife's didn't get that far, but did only achieve 2/3 the fuel economy it normally would, so forcing a regen does seem to be thirsty work for the car.
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

TurboTrev wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:51 pm I think our GTI+ went through this earlier in the week (approx 3,000 miles). The car suddenly became a bit "rougher" to drive. The exhaust note seemed to deepen, with a bit of vibration and when the car's engine was turned off the the fan was going balistic compared to normal. Also, there was sort of a burning smell in the air being driven out by the fan. After using the car a couple of more times over the rest of the day, it suddenly went back to "normal". No roughness, no vibration, no mad fan and no smell. Been perfect since. Anyone had anything similar?
Mine was doing exactly this yesterday when I went the supermarket, all the symptoms you describe, was so odd I opened the bonnet and was checking the engine and the exhaust while it was still running when I got home. It hasn't had a good run in a while but am about to head to North Wales in it today (from Manchester) so that should hopefully sort it out (and make it even more filthy than it is already!).
Joe VW
New
Drives: GTI

Post by Joe VW »

As detailed in the what did you and your polo do today thread I've had a right headache with this.

Car's done about 4k miles now and noticed the symptoms of low MPG, burning smell, high fan speed, high idle RPM, loud exhaust a couple of times.

Developed a fault with the gearing not shifting up until 4 or 5k rpm in the end and got the particle filter warning light appear. This all despite doing quite a few long runs (1 hour plus) per week so any regeneration should have been passive.

Dealer have tried to do a forced Regen using their laptops on at least two occasions now with the exhaust ending up getting so hot as to melt the fans they were running to counter the heat (don't know how this happens just going from their words). Apparently they've contacted VW to sort the problem but so far nothing has worked.

I've lost all patience now as it's been in for nearly 8 weeks, and will be handing them the car back this week unless they miraculously fix it.

Does seem like Petrol Particle Filters will be as problematic as Diesel ones unfortunately...
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I think that the only thing fixing that will be a software update that hasn't yet been written.

Had similar issues with my MK5 Golf GT Sport TDI170PD - one of the first DPF fitted VAG TDIs. A software fault fixed it after they'd had the injectors out to check for a fuel leak and found a tiny irrelevant burr on the cylinder head interior and replaced it - to no avail.

One thing that cylinder head replacement did - prior to the fix, the car used to fire up at about 1/2 a second of cranking. After the cylinder head replacement, it was about 4 seconds of cranking.

I had a mate who bought same car as me a week earlier and didn"t have the issue because he had a different ECU software variant.
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

Joe VW wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:48 pm As detailed in the what did you and your polo do today thread I've had a right headache with this.

Car's done about 4k miles now and noticed the symptoms of low MPG, burning smell, high fan speed, high idle RPM, loud exhaust a couple of times.

Developed a fault with the gearing not shifting up until 4 or 5k rpm in the end and got the particle filter warning light appear. This all despite doing quite a few long runs (1 hour plus) per week so any regeneration should have been passive.

Dealer have tried to do a forced Regen using their laptops on at least two occasions now with the exhaust ending up getting so hot as to melt the fans they were running to counter the heat (don't know how this happens just going from their words). Apparently they've contacted VW to sort the problem but so far nothing has worked.

I've lost all patience now as it's been in for nearly 8 weeks, and will be handing them the car back this week unless they miraculously fix it.

Does seem like Petrol Particle Filters will be as problematic as Diesel ones unfortunately...
That sounds like a right ball ache, I don't blame you for wanting to reject the car, there is something obviously wrong with it!

Mine has now cleared itself after my good run in it yesterday, though it took a while mostly due to the 50mph limit on the M62 (where the car was doing between 25 and 27MPG!). Once I had got on to the M6 and then the M56 with the ACC set at "normal" motorway speeds after about 10 mins the exhaust note went back to normal, the engine smoothed back out and my MPG jumped back up to around 40.
I blame myself entirely for it happening in the first place as I had forgot it had a GPF and for the last 2 or so months it has only been doing very short trips, I have been using our i3 for trips out of Manchester because (I would like to say to be green........) it is cheaper to use and it's lease is up in March and we are well under the allowed mileage on it (getting our money's worth out of it).

I have plenty of longish trips over the festive period to do and will be using the GTi for most of them so it should be ok for while, plus when the i3 goes back in March we won't be replacing it straight away so the GTi will be our only car for a while as my partner now works from home and I don't see the point in paying a lease on another almost 40K car (as the i3 was with a few options on it)that only gets used a couple of times a week.
ryanponti
New
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by ryanponti »

What sort of mileage are people doing each day that are experiencing the GPF issues?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ 27mpg from 40mpg when doing a regen? That proportionality fits in with my wife's 20mpg from 30.

I just don't get how a forced regen could be that thirsty. Diesel forced regens hit your fuel economy by 10%, not 33%. I'm trying to imagine a third of a gallon of petrol being ignited in the exhaust every 27 miles whilst regenning to get the temp up beyond normal - the exhaust must be glowing!

Out in the wife's car today - hard to believe the difference between the 2 cars, mine is way more responsive and feels at least 10% more powerful for having no PPF considerations engineered in.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

ryanponti wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:55 am What sort of mileage are people doing each day that are experiencing the GPF issues?
Depends what they normally get. Mine and Griff's experiences seem to be that you'll get 2/3 of your normal mpg - very noticeable!
ryanponti
New
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by ryanponti »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:00 am
ryanponti wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:55 am What sort of mileage are people doing each day that are experiencing the GPF issues?
Depends what they normally get. Mine and Griff's experiences seem to be that you'll get 2/3 of your normal mpg - very noticeable!
Sorry i meant in terms of how many miles each day commuting rather than MPG, just trying to figure out if i'm going to have to make special drives out at the weekend.